PDA

View Full Version : what would you do?

fogrider
07-22-2015, 06:08 PM
I have to go to the bank a few times a month to make deposits, most time I can do it on bike and there are three branches that are on my route depending on when and where I am. Two of the branches are cool with me in full kit and mention that it's must be great exercise or how good or bad the weather is. I park my bike just in the door out of the way. But at one branch I have been asked twice to leave my bike outside (2 out of 4 visits). I give them an indignant look and say: No, I'm not going to leave it outside. I also point out that it's out of the way and if I leave it outside it's going to be stolen. My trusted Legend Ti will not be left outside! I was going to call the branch manager and give him/her a piece of my mind! I would like to see where they have it written where their policy is for bikes to be left outside. I have cooled down since. Its not like there are long lines where there are lot of people, it usually me and at most 2 others and I'm out of there in about 5 minutes.

should I call and discuss this, or just keep showing up with my bike?

David Kirk
07-22-2015, 06:13 PM
call.

dave

Mr_Gimby
07-22-2015, 06:16 PM
Seems like its not a battle worth fighting in my opinion. If you lose, you're upset, if you win, you're labelled as the uppity cyclist who threw a fit to get his way.

My advice would be to simply avoid the particular branch that is not bike friendly. You've mentioned there are two other convenient branches that don't have issues with the bike, why bother getting yourself and possibly others agitated over this one that does?

biker72
07-22-2015, 06:19 PM
Call +1
As long as the bike is not blocking any entrance/exit there should be no problem. I have zero problems at my bank.

Tony
07-22-2015, 06:20 PM
Seems like its not a battle worth fighting in my opinion. If you lose, you're upset, if you win, you're labelled as the uppity cyclist who threw a fit to get his way.

My advice would be to simply avoid the particular branch that is not bike friendly. You've mentioned there are two other convenient branches that don't have issues with the bike, why bother getting yourself and possibly others agitated over this one that does?

This

You may want to consider this, if someone does trip over your bike the bank may be liable.

FlashUNC
07-22-2015, 06:20 PM
Um, just go to the ones that are fine with it. Rather than pick a fight for no reason. Two-thirds of the branches on your route have no problem with it.

fuzzalow
07-22-2015, 06:25 PM
Brompton. Fold it up n' carry it in with you like luggage. The curious will ask and will be amused when you tell them what they already have guessed what you carry to be.

Don't raise a stink to force yourself to be allowed to be where you already know you are not welcome as far as you & your bike as a package deal.

Ken Robb
07-22-2015, 06:31 PM
Management above the level of a single branch might care more about keeping a customer happy than managers of branches other than the one listed as "your" branch. The person managing your "home" branch derives some credit to his bottom line for having your account but managers of other branches are providing a service that mostly benefits another branch? This is just a guess on my part. Maybe each branch handling any transaction gets the same credit whether it is your home branch or not?

Mr_Gimby
07-22-2015, 06:31 PM
This

You may want to consider this, if someone does trip over your bike the bank may be liable.
Ah yes, I hadn't even considered the liability angle. At the end of the day its their space, you are a visitor there, and it is there prerogative to allow bicycles or not.

JAllen
07-22-2015, 06:32 PM
Is there bike parking there? If there isn't, I'd think about calling if I absolutely had to go to that branch. If there is bike parking, I'd feel like I don't have any argument no matter how nice my ride is (or isn't in my case).

shovelhd
07-22-2015, 06:36 PM
I would stick to the two friendly branches and avoid a conflict. Reason being, you may open up a can of worms with the insurance angle.

zennmotion
07-22-2015, 06:38 PM
For reasons that have nothing to do with your bike, your personal banking should be done at a credit union and not a bank. In the age of electronic transactions location is no longer an issue. For consumers/personal finance services, banks do not work in your best interest, they suck. I love my credit union, I've done all my banking there since I was 15, except a mortgage that was against their policy as it's outside the geographic area since I've long since moved out of the area and they only lend locally. I am a shareholder, as you are with any Credit Union, mine knows me by name on the phone, and they even proactively call me from time to time to check in with any unusual transactions. For the most part, the Credit Unions also avoided the derivatives shenanigans that nearly brought down the economy, and are not in the middle of the foreclosure BS. As far as your bike in the lobby goes, ride up to the drive-in window and then listen to them moan about how that is also against the rules (it is for insurance liability reasons). Then use the resulting kerfluffle to move your accounts to a local credit union.
http://www.fool.com/Money/Banking/Banking06.htm Motley Fool rocks, everyone should bookmark it.
My credit union, FYI www.alternatives.org yes, that's a dot org, all profits reduce interest rates or accrue to the shareholder/depositors.

Javaman
07-22-2015, 06:42 PM
I'm on the side of avoiding confrontation; less stress. Just avoid the branch that does not allow you to park your bike inside. Not worth the hassle IMO.

Mr_Gimby
07-22-2015, 06:43 PM
For reasons that have nothing to do with your bike, your personal banking should be done at a credit union and not a bank. In the age of electronic transactions location is no longer an issue. For consumers/personal finance services, banks do not work in your best interest, they suck. I love my credit union, I've done all my banking there since I was 15, except a mortgage that was against their policy as it's outside the geographic area since I've long since moved out of the area and they only lend locally. I am a shareholder, as you are with any Credit Union, mine knows me by name on the phone. For the most part, the Credit Unions also avoided the derivatives shenanigans that nearly brought down the economy, and are not in the middle of the foreclosure BS. As far as your bike in the lobby goes, ride up to the drive-in window and then listen to them moan about how that is also against the rules (it is for insurance liability reasons). Then use the resulting kerfluffle to move your accounts to a local credit union.
http://www.fool.com/Money/Banking/Banking06.htm
My credit union, FYI www.alternatives.org yes, that's a dot org, all profits reduce interest rates or rebate to the shareholder/depositors.

This hardly seems the place for financial advocacy. Additionally, the term "bank" is used extremely often in a generic manner to refer to any financial institution, be it a credit union or a genu-fied bank.

Back to the topic at hand, raising a stink at one branch and losing may result in your bike-in-building privileges being revoked at the other two branches. As they say, you don't know what you've got till its gone!

fogrider
07-22-2015, 06:43 PM

Yeah, if I could avoid this branch, I would! but the other two branches are only available to me on Saturday and there are times when I need to make a deposit on during the week. they close earlier on Saturday and if my ride goes long, I'm stuck with this branch during the week.

I put the bike is off to the side and someone would really have to go out of their way to trip over it. I really don't want to make a stink about it or rub anyone the wrong way...

fogrider
07-22-2015, 06:46 PM
Brompton. Fold it up n' carry it in with you like luggage. The curious will ask and will be amused when you tell them what they already have guessed what you carry to be.

Don't raise a stink to force yourself to be allowed to be where you already know you are not welcome as far as you & your bike as a package deal.

I ride 10 miles to this branch. I'm not doing it on a brompton.

zennmotion
07-22-2015, 06:53 PM
This hardly seems the place for financial advocacy. Additionally, the term "bank" is used extremely often in a generic manner to refer to any financial institution, be it a credit union or a genu-fied bank.

Back to the topic at hand, raising a stink at one branch and losing may result in your bike-in-building privileges being revoked at the other two branches. As they say, you don't know what you've got till its gone!

Sorry to offend with the thread drift, but at the same time your advice seems more along the lines of suck it up and don't make waves. I think most in here would agree that given the circumstances, rolling a bike into the (fill in the proper name of the financial institution here) for a few minutes, for a teller transaction should not be a problem. And I'm not actually sorry for the thread drift, as it's useful info, and I'm not sure you caught the irony of your last sentence. You can skip over the post if you want and go ride your bike (but not in the lobby). Cheers!

makoti
07-22-2015, 07:17 PM
Call, and calmly tell them you are no longer going to use their branch & why. If they care, they will work with you. If they don't, tell all your friends and never go back.

Ken Robb
07-22-2015, 07:20 PM
I use several banks and several branches of each of them and have never had a problem rolling my bike inside. I guess I'm lucky.:beer:

oldpotatoe
07-22-2015, 07:24 PM
I have to go to the bank a few times a month to make deposits, most time I can do it on bike and there are three branches that are on my route depending on when and where I am. Two of the branches are cool with me in full kit and mention that it's must be great exercise or how good or bad the weather is. I park my bike just in the door out of the way. But at one branch I have been asked twice to leave my bike outside (2 out of 4 visits). I give them an indignant look and say: No, I'm not going to leave it outside. I also point out that it's out of the way and if I leave it outside it's going to be stolen. My trusted Legend Ti will not be left outside! I was going to call the branch manager and give him/her a piece of my mind! I would like to see where they have it written where their policy is for bikes to be left outside. I have cooled down since. Its not like there are long lines where there are lot of people, it usually me and at most 2 others and I'm out of there in about 5 minutes.

Call, no reason to not let a bike in.

Kirk007
07-22-2015, 07:33 PM
mobile banking app.

I'd go in person to the branch and ask to talk to the manager; better yet have you asked for the manager when this has occurred? Calmly explain that while you like the bank, your preferred method of transport is by bike, a very expensive bike that if stolen while left outside but on bank property, the bank will nevertheless deny any liability for the bike. Accordingly, if you cannot get to the bank to do your business in a safe, convenient and economical manner then you will have no choice but to seriously consider moving your account to a bank that provides better service.

There are a lot of banks, this has annoyed you enough to think about it and post here -- probably more time than that involved in finding a bank that respects your needs.

BMS
07-22-2015, 07:37 PM
Call first and then avoid if all else fails.

rustychisel
07-22-2015, 08:07 PM
mobile banking app.

I'd go in person to the branch and ask to talk to the manager; better yet have you asked for the manager when this has occurred? Calmly explain that while you like the bank, your preferred method of transport is by bike, a very expensive bike that if stolen while left outside but on bank property, the bank will nevertheless deny any liability for the bike. Accordingly, if you cannot get to the bank to do your business in a safe, convenient and economical manner then you will have no choice but to seriously consider moving your account to a bank that provides better service.

There are a lot of banks, this has annoyed you enough to think about it and post here -- probably more time than that involved in finding a bank that respects your needs.

This.

I used to bank once a week at a central city bank and always left my bike just inside the door - even when armed guards were employed - was never questioned or asked not to do so.

At other businesses I've had people suggest I not bring my bike in; I respectfully suggest they have no adequate bike facilities (though there are car parks) and I'm not leaving a $10,000 bike outside. If they don't like that I'll take my business elsewhere.

fuzzalow
07-22-2015, 08:10 PM
I ride 10 miles to this branch. I'm not doing it on a brompton.

Not knowing where you are located, 10 miles to get to a bank is not something a Metro NYC resident has any familiarity with. Yeah, no Brompton.

Banking at the local level is driven by proximity so unless you get services & fees that are especially advantageous to you, there might be incentive to shop around. Which would solve your bike problem in that a change of banking institution might obviate your commute.

Banks at the retail level are charged with garnering of assets, in the case of high net-worth accounts, or driving fees-based services into the lower tiered accounts. Depending on where you are along this continuum, you might be able to gauge their response to extenuating requests. Like bringing your bike into a branch or not.

But IMO bring a full size bike into any bank branch is unusual and unwelcome.

pdmtong
07-22-2015, 08:13 PM
I haven't gone into a branch to make a deposit since mobile banking applications appeared. specifically iphone and that big italian bank that started in SF and is now nationwide main HQ now in NC. is this not available to you?

djg21
07-22-2015, 08:13 PM
The bank is private property. If its management will not allow you to bring your bike inside, your recourse is to find another bank that will. It makes no sense to get pissy with bank employees, and you will get nowhere with the bank by being argumentative or blowing up. In fact, the bank management is more apt to tell you to get lost.

You might try a pleasant conversation with the branch manager in which you explain that the bike is apt to be stolen if left outside, even if locked. Maybe you can ask for an accommodation if you agreed to visit the bank during off hours when it is slower.

You catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar. This is a good maxim to remember.

b021c
07-22-2015, 08:20 PM
The bank is private property. If its management will not allow you to bring your bike inside, your recourse is to find another bank that will. It makes no sense to get pissy with bank employees, and you will get nowhere with the bank by being argumentative or blowing up. In fact, the bank management is more apt to tell you to get lost.

You might try a pleasant conversation with the branch manager in which you explain that the bike is apt to be stolen if left outside, even if locked. Maybe you can ask for an accommodation if you agreed to visit the bank during off hours when it is slower.

You catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar. This is a good maxim to remember.

^ Agreed.

93legendti
07-22-2015, 08:56 PM
Bike Friday
U Lock
Mobile App

Mr_Gimby
07-22-2015, 09:07 PM
Yeah, if I could avoid this branch, I would! but the other two branches are only available to me on Saturday and there are times when I need to make a deposit on during the week. they close earlier on Saturday and if my ride goes long, I'm stuck with this branch during the week.

I put the bike is off to the side and someone would really have to go out of their way to trip over it. I really don't want to make a stink about it or rub anyone the wrong way...

Ah, I see. Your initial post didn't allude to one being more or less convenient than the others. If your primary business at the bank is depositing, would you be able to just use deposit-taking ATM's at the other branches (or this one for that matter) and not even bother going inside?

Sorry to offend with the thread drift, but at the same time your advice seems more along the lines of suck it up and don't make waves. I think most in here would agree that given the circumstances, rolling a bike into the (fill in the proper name of the financial institution here) for a few minutes, for a teller transaction should not be a problem. And I'm not actually sorry for the thread drift, as it's useful info, and I'm not sure you caught the irony of your last sentence. You can skip over the post if you want and go ride your bike (but not in the lobby). Cheers!

You say this as though the OP is being grievously wronged and waiving his rights in allowing the *financial institution* to bar his bicycle indoors. As someone else has mentioned, its their building and they have the say-so on what is allowed in and what isn't.

Say you were having guests over and they unexpectedly brought a dog you didn't want to have in your house, wouldn't you agree that you have the right to ask them not to bring it in? Its not your guests' right to bring in the dog, so their anger at your refusal is just unreasonable. Its the same situation here.

As for missing the irony of the last sentence of my post you quoted, I'm sure I haven't a clue what you're referring to, could you elaborate?

Louis
07-22-2015, 09:09 PM
Tell them you'll gladly leave it outside as soon as they have a secure place for it. Of all places, a bank should understand the concept of security.

etu
07-22-2015, 09:55 PM
I'd call, but not to discuss in a confrontational manner. More in the along the lines of "can you please help me with this problem?".

tuxbailey
07-22-2015, 10:06 PM
If you must must go to one with an issue, perhaps use their drive through teller (if they have one at the location.)

jimoots
07-22-2015, 10:11 PM
Am I the only person who sees this as a non-issue?

I have never expected a business to accommodate my bicycle inside. Why should they?

I don't take it into a coffee shop. I don't take it into a mall. I don't take it into a service station.

How about you take a lock?

Eh, I dunno, I'm sorry for being sharp. I just feel like there is this culture of entitlement amongst the customer, where the customer takes the piss out of the "customer is always right" mantra.

I mean you deal with a business, a bank. They provide a service, banking. If they provide the service you pay for, you should not be getting mad because they won't let you store a bike inside. If one branch lets you, great. But if another branch doesn't, well, it was never an agreed on part of the transaction.

Just take a lock.

bicycletricycle
07-22-2015, 10:16 PM
Any place that let's you bring your bike in is a plus but if they don't that is up to them, I would just move on, in my experience talking to the manager won't help, why should he grant you special rights? Worse case he calls the other managers and reminds them that this sort of thing is not allowed and your totally screwed.

gdw
07-22-2015, 10:32 PM
I can understand the banks policy. I've seen twits bring their bikes into our branch Post Office during the winter here in Boulder. The snow/ice/slush melts and leaves small dirty puddles on the floor. You might be more considerate but unfortunately there are plenty of other cyclists who aren't.

R3awak3n
07-22-2015, 10:45 PM

I have never expected a business to accommodate my bicycle inside. Why should they?

I don't take it into a coffee shop. I don't take it into a mall. I don't take it into a service station.

Eh, I dunno, I'm sorry for being sharp. I just feel like there is this culture of entitlement amongst the customer, where the customer takes the piss out of the "customer is always right" mantra.

I mean you deal with a business, a bank. They provide a service, banking. If they provide the service you pay for, you should not be getting mad because they won't let you store a bike inside. If one branch lets you, great. But if another branch doesn't, well, it was never an agreed on part of the transaction.

Just take a lock.

I totally agree with this.

Most places don't let people bring bikes in which is understandable, so why does this bank have to cater to you because you don't want to leave your serotta outside? Either bring a lock or bring a bike you don't mind getting stolen.

Mr_Gimby
07-22-2015, 11:12 PM

Just take a lock.
:hello::beer::banana: Well put!

rustychisel
07-22-2015, 11:20 PM

Just take a lock.

Respectfully disagree. We live in a culture of entitlement, for better for worse, and accommodation is made in many ways. After all, the customer is always right (maybe?, no, not really).

Anyway, I sometimes do it because I need to drop in to a shop/supermarket on my way home and I don't have a lock with me. Then again, I don't push the point, preferring to see if the business is willing to be accommodating.

Case in point, the guy working at the bottle shop at The Avenues, St Peters, actually came out and asked me to bring my bike inside while I browsed the beers. You can bet I go back there.

R3awak3n
07-22-2015, 11:38 PM
Respectfully disagree. We live in a culture of entitlement, for better for worse, and accommodation is made in many ways. After all, the customer is always right (maybe?, no, not really).

Anyway, I sometimes do it because I need to drop in to a shop/supermarket on my way home and I don't have a lock with me. Then again, I don't push the point, preferring to see if the business is willing to be accommodating.

Case in point, the guy working at the bottle shop at The Avenues, St Peters, actually came out and asked me to bring my bike inside while I browsed the beers. You can bet I go back there.

But there are rules that some establishments follow, some places don't allow dogs... are you never going to go there because they didn't let your dog in?

We do live in a culture of entitlement but is this actually a good thing?

Maybe you live in a smaller town but in NYC there are very few places that would let you bring your bike inside ( I actually had a bike shop tell me to leave my bike outside believe it or not)

jimoots
07-23-2015, 12:03 AM

It's a mindset really. And I agree, we live in the culture.

But when a business pushes back in a fairly innocuous way, I think it is helpful to remember that the relationship between a business and customer is transactional at heart and you need to consider what the actual exchange is about.

(And not specifically in relation to this instance, but it's handy to keep a healthy dose of 'sometimes sh*t just happens' and you don't need to stamp your feet up and down about it every. Single. Time.)

fogrider
07-23-2015, 12:05 AM

Just take a lock.

interesting. I agree that I would not expect to bring my bike into a coffee shop or mall because there are lots of people everywhere and it would be bad form, so they don't get my business...the use of this bank was due to a the crisis of 2008 and this bank took over another bank. again, if I even though that bringing the bike into bank would get in the way of someone, I would not do it. If it is up to me, I would move the funds somewhere that I can just do online banking. This bank has online banking but due to the levels of security, it is a pain in the you know what and almost impossible to use. (time consuming and often locks me out). This is not my money, I just manage it, and it has been a pain. so yeah, if they are not giving me customer service, it may be easier to move the funds. I want to be respectful, kind and reasonable, but if they are giving me the evil eye and making it difficult for me to do business.

fogrider
07-23-2015, 12:11 AM
I can understand the banks policy. I've seen twits bring their bikes into our branch Post Office during the winter here in Boulder. The snow/ice/slush melts and leaves small dirty puddles on the floor. You might be more considerate but unfortunately there are plenty of other cyclists who aren't.

yeah, that would be bad form...I live in drought stricken California.

jtakeda
07-23-2015, 12:23 AM

Just take a lock.

This is kind of my thought. Have you considered buying some Pitlock skewers or similar and carrying a Ulock?

If not maybe ride a less expensive bike on bank days.

I ride a landshark with campy 10 and go to banks 10 times/week + for work. I always lock outside in SF, hasnt been an issue so far.

Kirk007
07-23-2015, 12:56 AM
Ah,

You say this as though the OP is being grievously wronged and waiving his rights in allowing the *financial institution* to bar his bicycle indoors. As someone else has mentioned, its their building and they have the say-so on what is allowed in and what isn't.

Say you were having guests over and they unexpectedly brought a dog you didn't want to have in your house, wouldn't you agree that you have the right to ask them not to bring it in? Its not your guests' right to bring in the dog, so their anger at your refusal is just unreasonable. Its the same situation here.

Well lets make it a baby stroller rather than a dog or bike. Must the OP leave it and child outside cause some stability challenged person might trip on it? There's no good reason to exclude either from the lobby of most banks. Heck I've wheeledy bike right up to the counter at Bank of America (granted that was in Eugene Oregon where things are pretty relaxed. But I think this is more a case of uptight employees with inflated opinions as to what is proper adult behaivor than concern over liability or property damage or anything else. I have little tolerance for this type of attitude and something would change if it were me - either the banks approach or the bank that got my business.

rustychisel
07-23-2015, 01:09 AM
But there are rules that some establishments follow, some places don't allow dogs... are you never going to go there because they didn't let your dog in?

Dunno, I have no dog is this debate, just banging out ideas so you shouldn't try and extrapolate from the point.

We do live in a culture of entitlement but is this actually a good thing?

Yeah, nah, maybe. At the moment it is what it is, and that varies from one community to another.

Maybe you live in a smaller town but in NYC there are very few places that would let you bring your bike inside ( I actually had a bike shop tell me to leave my bike outside believe it or not)

I do, compared to NYC. I'd like to think you're referring to the tossers at Sid's NYC. Tee hee. :)

Llewellyn
07-23-2015, 01:21 AM
I do, compared to NYC.

Adelaide's a nice city. I was surprised to find that the CBD is encircled by parkland :hello:

soulspinner
07-23-2015, 05:40 AM
Call, no reason to not let a bike in.

Ya, I had a bike stolen this very way, Columbustubi and all.......

Tony T
07-23-2015, 06:25 AM
Not sure if this has been mentioned already, but, unless you're depositing cash, why do you need to go to the bank? Deposit with your iPhone/Android (and if your bank does not have this ability with their app, use another bank for deposits)

Mr_Gimby
07-23-2015, 08:49 AM
Well lets make it a baby stroller rather than a dog or bike. Must the OP leave it and child outside cause some stability challenged person might trip on it? There's no good reason to exclude either from the lobby of most banks. Heck I've wheeledy bike right up to the counter at Bank of America (granted that was in Eugene Oregon where things are pretty relaxed. But I think this is more a case of uptight employees with inflated opinions as to what is proper adult behaivor than concern over liability or property damage or anything else. I have little tolerance for this type of attitude and something would change if it were me - either the banks approach or the bank that got my business.

Ok, maybe a dog was a bad example, but I think we can both agree a bicycle (however sentimental or special) is very different than a child. Inanimate object =/= living, breathing human. I'm sure that what is a "good reason" for them to exclude the bike is a non-issue to most cyclists, but clearly they're not cyclists.

fuzzalow
07-23-2015, 04:01 PM
I do, compared to NYC. I'd like to think you're referring to the tossers at Sid's NYC. Tee hee. :)

Wow, I am impressed! You are ostensibly half-way around the world and you know about the lack of, which I too took as a hint of unwelcome, bike parking in Sid's NYC on 19th Street?

Isn't it odd that a bike shop doesn't have a bike rack inside the store to park your bike? Conrad's in Tudor City near the UN does. Rapha in Meatpacking does. Sid's doesn't.

My LBS is Conrad's but I went to Sid's to buy a container of Orange sealer on a Sunday and Conrad's is closed Sundays. No parking when I got there and the ladies at the front desk weren't too friendly in seeing that I rode in on an Eriksen. Which therefore made likely that it was slim and none that I'd ever be a customer of theirs for a future bike sale.

I had a nice conversation however with Sid's Bike Fit Tech. I honestly think the tech was curious about my bike setup and wanted to suss if I could really ride it. I couldn't imagine anybody being so lame as to setup a bike EuroPro just for looks and not being able to ride it that way. But hey, this is NYC and sometimes image is more important than substance and if I were to do this I wouldn't be the first poseur to walk through their door. BTW every time I am in Sid's I look at all the highend bikes the mechanics are working on and the "up high 'n' back" setups those bikes have. So I know they don't see "long 'n' low" setups like mine much if at all.

Anyway, that's my Sid's story and how you know 'bout them is just another instance of this being a small world.

Kirk007
07-23-2015, 05:31 PM
Ok, maybe a dog was a bad example, but I think we can both agree a bicycle (however sentimental or special) is very different than a child. Inanimate object =/= living, breathing human. I'm sure that what is a "good reason" for them to exclude the bike is a non-issue to most cyclists, but clearly they're not cyclists.

yes clearly a difference and others have good points about dripping puddles of snow etc., but the example posited was wheeling into an uncrowded bank lobby and leaning the bike against a wall out of the way. Sure the bank can tell you to take a hike, it is their property as others have pointed out, but we as consumers usually have choices as well.

I think there are intelligent rules of reason that responsible adults can apply in ways that benefit all involved. On a dry day and an empty lobby, if I was told that I had to remove my bike simply as a matter of blanket application of policy, that would be noted and entered into the calculus. If I am forced to choose between a business that is accommodating and exhibits that it values my business vs on that goes out of its way to take a position that isn't accommodating, in the absence of any apparent good reason, well if I can I choose to deal with the accommodating business.

I don't see this as expressing an attitude of entitlement as some are expressing. If a business wants my business, and it is a competitive marketplace, well its on those businesses to make me want to choose them. Of course there is the slippery slope argument - if I let you I must let everyone - and I can certainly see reasons to take this approach; certainly easier on the business employees than having to deal with the person who wheels in his wet mud covered bike at high noon on Friday. On the other hand, allowing and encouraging the business employees to use their judgment and exercise discretion based on the situation at hand may be a better client retention strategy.

In my office building there is a shared bike room. But folks also wheel their bikes onto the elevators and take them to their offices. I've yet to hear or see anyone complain - not building management, not other tenants. I've also never seen anyone with a bike be anything less than courteous and give every accommodation - space etc. to the tenants/visitors without bikes. It works quite well with reasonable people. But Seattle's a pretty bike friendly place ....

R3awak3n
07-23-2015, 05:42 PM

believe it or not, it was not at Sids. It was at bike habitat. I have brought my bike in before and not had a problem but last few times they told me to leave it outside. Never liked that shop anyways, when go there when I absolutely need to since its by a lot of places I work at.

bikeridah
07-23-2015, 05:46 PM
Use the drive thru.

fuzzalow
07-23-2015, 06:12 PM
yes clearly a difference and others have good points about dripping puddles of snow etc., but the example posited was wheeling into an uncrowded bank lobby and leaning the bike against a wall out of the way. Sure the bank can tell you to take a hike, it is their property as others have pointed out, but we as consumers usually have choices as well.

I think there are intelligent rules of reason that responsible adults can apply in ways that benefit all involved. On a dry day and an empty lobby, if I was told that I had to remove my bike simply as a matter of blanket application of policy, that would be noted and entered into the calculus. If I am forced to choose between a business that is accommodating and exhibits that it values my business vs on that goes out of its way to take a position that isn't accommodating, in the absence of any apparent good reason, well if I can I choose to deal with the accommodating business.

I don't see this as expressing an attitude of entitlement as some are expressing. If a business wants my business, and it is a competitive marketplace, well its on those businesses to make me want to choose them. Of course there is the slippery slope argument - if I let you I must let everyone - and I can certainly see reasons to take this approach; certainly easier on the business employees than having to deal with the person who wheels in his wet mud covered bike at high noon on Friday. On the other hand, allowing and encouraging the business employees to use their judgment and exercise discretion based on the situation at hand may be a better client retention strategy.

In my office building there is a shared bike room. But folks also wheel their bikes onto the elevators and take them to their offices. I've yet to hear or see anyone complain - not building management, not other tenants. I've also never seen anyone with a bike be anything less than courteous and give every accommodation - space etc. to the tenants/visitors without bikes. It works quite well with reasonable people. But Seattle's a pretty bike friendly place ....

Those are all valid points and there is no right or wrong here. IMO it will be impossible to move the markers forwards in bicycles for this particular case vis a vis retail banking because the general public dislikes bicycists & bikes and the banks do not wish to upset their clientele.

I will differ from what you have said about the behaviour that you ascribe to responsible adults and the assumption that they posses intelligent rules of reason. I do not think this is so. The average mass market cosumer has been pandered and coddled to where for those slight of self image and lacking in civilized & mannerful grounding will simply run roughshod over everybody and everything. And it is these bruts and boors that screw it up for every other cyclist trying to make a positive impact of bicycles to be accepted as part of everyday life.

Even in this forum of comrade cyclists, there has never been a reluctance for any one clique to throw another bicyclist under the bus. It happens all the time. We do this to our own. We as a group could hardly be counted on not to anger an average citizen with our own incomprehensible rules and entitlements that we incorrectly think can be imposed on the majority without pushback and rancor.

This topic is very much barking up the wrong tree. The best to be hoped for is that the bank could place a bike rack for parking outside adjacent to whatever parking facilities they have for bicyclist use.

mg2ride
07-23-2015, 07:35 PM

Just take a lock.
Plus infinity!

Should every kid or homeless person be allowed to take a bike wherever they go. Bell no. I'm shocked the OP has the nerve to even take it in. It's why they hate us.

dustyrider
07-23-2015, 07:39 PM

I would shoulder the bike and create quite a scene in line and while talking to the teller. Just act like ithe bike is an accessory. Maybe keep a crucial piece of the transaction on the bike. You know like the sweet old lady in front of you who can't find what she needs in the bottom of her purse.

Of course the real question is: what are you doing at the bank. It's 2015 just take a picture of that deposit man!

jimoots
07-23-2015, 07:56 PM
Still not understanding the opposition to carrying a lock if you're on a trip that involves going to the shops or running an errand or having a froffie :beer:

vqdriver
07-23-2015, 08:04 PM

Just take a lock.

Still not understanding the opposition to carrying a lock if you're on a trip that involves going to the shops or running an errand or having a froffie :beer:

+ all

Tony T
07-23-2015, 08:27 PM
Why would anyone need to go to a bank to deposit a check.
It's 2015! :)

George Ab
07-24-2015, 02:20 AM
Use the drive through.

downtube
07-24-2015, 08:23 AM
Call, if the answer is still no. "Get a new bank". Removing your money is the biggest statement you can make.

Peter P.
07-24-2015, 06:34 PM
What gives you the right to bring your bike inside, even if it's "just in the foyer"?

I can't bring my car into the bank.

I can't bring my motorcycle.

I can't bring my dog.

If your bike is too expensive to leave outside, even locked up, then don't ride it to the branch.

Your only leverage is, if you call a manager that oversees the branches and tell them 2 branches are cool with it, then one of 2 things will happen: they'll make policy for or against bikes.

Of course, if you have enough money in your accounts, you could threaten to close the account and go elsewhere. Unfortunately, it's money that usually makes the difference, not reasoning.

Peter P.
07-24-2015, 06:40 PM
If you must must go to one with an issue, perhaps use their drive through teller (if they have one at the location.)

Most banks as well as other businesses with drive throughs will not permit bicycles in the drive through. It's an insurance issue. Bicycle riders don't carry insurance similar to auto insurance. The tellers don't decide this on their own; it's policy from above.

CaptStash
07-24-2015, 07:48 PM
What gives you the right to bring your bike inside, even if it's "just in the foyer"?

I can't bring my dog.

Wait a minute! What kind of a He!!hole do you live in? My dog comes with me to the bank all the time. The tellers give her treats!

CaptStash....:hello:

fuzzalow
07-24-2015, 08:06 PM
Wait a minute! What kind of a He!!hole do you live in? My dog comes with me to the bank all the time. The tellers give her treats!

CaptStash....:hello:

This is no joke! And this is not outta left field as you might think!

My home branch of JPMChase is on Third Avenue and East 79th Street NYC. If you were to come into the branch, the credenza in the customer waiting area at the front of the bank has a stash of free dog treats. Second lower drawer on the right hand side. I am not making this up.

parris
07-24-2015, 08:21 PM
I haven't read the entire thread. With the "problem" branch have you noticed that it's the same person who has an issue with the bike? We've all seen people at places that for whatever reason just HAVE to be difficult.

I agree with giving the bank a call to ask if they can help you out. When put in the form of a request it's been my experience to be pleasantly surprised.

good luck