PDA

View Full Version : bar tape

flydhest
05-04-2006, 10:35 AM
anyone with experience with any of the gel bar tapes and/or with Specialized Bar Phat (or whatever)?

The Doctor every-so-often has joint issues, especially in the hands and was thinking about getting something extra forgiving for the stoker bars on the tandem.

Bill Bove
05-04-2006, 10:38 AM
Fizik Gel under Cinelli cork on one bike, carbon bars on the other. The carbon bars do more.

flydhest
05-04-2006, 10:51 AM
Dagnabbit, Bill, don't say such stuff!!!!! Don't you know that carbon bars are more expensive!!??!?!?!?!

Seriously, though, thanks. I hadn't thought about it. Might have to go there. The only down side is that, due to my fat @ss, she's got 46 c-c bars. Any carbon in that size?

Bradford
05-04-2006, 10:55 AM
I've been using Bar Phat for a couple of years now. I have the thick stuff on the Tandem and the thin stuff on the road bike. I started off with the tape that came with it, but I've gone through Cinelli and now Fizik tape on top as well.

I've been very happy with the Bar Phat and recommend it.

Go ahead and give it a try, it doesn't cost that much, so even if you don't like it, it is a low-risk experiment.

rpm
05-04-2006, 11:20 AM
I use the Bontrager gel tape and it's OK. And when I was at the Trek dealer, I picked up a pair of Buzz Kill bar ends, and those things definitely do work. Whatever you do, it's worth getting the buzzkills, too. I bought just the cheaper lighter aluminum ones. The heavier brass ones probably do even more.

Bud
05-04-2006, 11:31 AM
I've had the Bar Phat on my last two bikes and love it. It really helps for those long rides and eliminates a lot of hand/wrist fatigue. Give it a try.

Rapid Tourist
05-04-2006, 11:57 AM
I tried the Specialized bar phat but I didn't find that it did very much in the way of reducing vibration to the hands. Maybe I used the thin as opposed to the fat "bar phat."

What really helped me a lot (and I have mild arthritis in my hands so this is important for me) was running a double layer of cinelli cork tape. It really increases the cush factor better than bar phat imho and is cheaper too.

Good luck!

znfdl
05-04-2006, 12:00 PM
I use the Cinelli cork tape and spenco ironman gloves. Seems to do the trick for me.

http://www.ironmancycling.com/

terrytnt
05-04-2006, 12:14 PM
I just tried Fizik Gel with Cork tape (think it was Cinelli) and love the look and feel. Would have used the Fizik tape but wasn't in cork and don't like plastic feel.

Good riding...

manet
05-04-2006, 12:25 PM
anyone with experience with any of the gel bar tapes and/or with Specialized Bar Phat (or whatever)?

The Doctor every-so-often has joint issues, especially in the hands and was thinking about getting something extra forgiving for the stoker bars on the tandem.

http://www.diytools.co.uk/diy/Images/DB_Detail/009035.jpg

93legendti
05-04-2006, 01:58 PM
I use the Bar Phat with Cinelli Gel tape when my hands/wrists start to bug me. A great combo. The new PI Gel Vent gloves are really, REALLY good for absorbing the rough stuff.

zap
05-04-2006, 03:52 PM
A tandem is already pretty comfortable with it's long wheelbase. Certainly more so than a single. How is the Doc's position on the tandem? Saddle set back just right? Reach to h/bar OK.

Do you have dummy grips installed? Is the Doc comfortable in the drops?

flydhest
05-04-2006, 03:56 PM
zap,

The setup is pretty good. I'm going to try a tiny bit more set back for her, but the measurement is just like her road bike. She has drop bars and dummy brake levers. She says she feels good in the drops as well as up on the tops and on the hoods.

The problem is intermittent and has a lot to do with a chronic condition she has. It's mostly an excess sensitivity thing than a fit thing, I think.

keno
05-04-2006, 04:01 PM
take a look at Le Tour Comfort Kit at Branford http://www.branfordbike.com/cgi-bin/perlshop/perlshop.cgi?ACTION=push&thispage=trim/trim2.html&ORDER_ID=125414991.

I think I've seem some other similars out there and will try to find them for you and Mi.

keno

zap
05-04-2006, 04:08 PM
We'll have to see you both on the tandem in order to provide any further assistance ;)

cycleman_21
05-05-2006, 06:10 AM
http://www.diytools.co.uk/diy/Images/DB_Detail/009035.jpg

I have to laugh at this one, I am currantly using this product on my beater
and it feels great, not very pretty but it works, Gaads, whatever happened to the foam grips, I would buy them in NY minute, ugly but functional

mr. numb hands
Ron C