PDA

View Full Version : Latex Tubes Carbon Rims

stephenmarklay
07-22-2015, 01:37 PM
Michelin says don稚 do it and I assume like veloflex they are worried about sharp bits.

Since they say no I am sure someone has tried it :) I was also surprised that they say to use a new tube with each tire change and to use new tape.

Thoughts?

deechee
07-22-2015, 01:48 PM
Friend of mine has clincher Zipps (404?) and I know he runs Michelin latex. Haven't heard him complain, but he really only races with them.

Not surprised about the changing tubes, I've definitely had tubes that were really stretched out and stuffing them back into the tire involved some folding and praying...

At the same time, after spending about an hour last night removing glue from my Enve tubulars, I have to say, the rim is smooth as butter. I can't imagine any sharp bits from the rim.

zap
07-22-2015, 01:51 PM
Sucks to have an inner tube go KKKaaaaabooomm at 55+mph.

Campagnolo and Mavic are in the no latex camp as well.

I'm not a fan of Latex tubes?.preferring nicely talc'd thinner butyl tubes.

djg21
07-22-2015, 02:17 PM
Michelin says don稚 do it and I assume like veloflex they are worried about sharp bits.

Since they say no I am sure someone has tried it :) I was also surprised that they say to use a new tube with each tire change and to use new tape.

Thoughts?

They are worried about heat build-up. Carbon rims don't dissipate heat as well as aluminum, and latex is far less tolerant of heat than butyl. I use latex tubes in the carbon wheels (Zipps) I use on my TT bike, where I don't have to go down hill ever and my brakes are rarely touched. They shouldn't be used in carbon rims if you have to descend and brake frequently.

lhuerta
07-22-2015, 02:21 PM
I have been using Michelin latex with Reynolds and other carbon clinchers as well as my alum clinchers, for many years with no problems....taken down Sierra descents and other hills w/out any issues. I am still a believer that most of the issues we hear about regarding latex tube blowouts and other failures are due to user error, either poor installation or poor braking techniques on hills.

Use plenty of talc to ease installation and ride on...

eBAUMANN
07-22-2015, 03:20 PM
i have been riding latex tubes in vittoria open corsa sc 25's on zipp 202 clinchers in the alps for the past week, up and very very fast DOWN a lot of huge freakin mountains. I flatted the front coming down col du madeleine on monday, puncture, tire went flat slowly and I was able to stop without eating it at 40mph. not the tubes fault, glass happens.

overall, i am pretty impressed with the ride quality latex offers, as I have been riding nice 25c open tubulars on wide rims for a long time but only for this trip decided to try out some latex (michelin) tubes. the ride is fantastic.

in regards to heat build up...if your rim gets hot enough to blow up a tube, you should just get rid of those wheels, because they are probably braking like sh*t at that temp as well.

ntb1001
07-22-2015, 03:24 PM
Wow...I never realized...I just put Michelin latex tube on my zipp 303's that I just got.
I would hate to change them, I like the way ride as is.
I guess I can leave them??

eBAUMANN
07-22-2015, 03:33 PM
Wow...I never realized...I just put Michelin latex tube on my zipp 303's that I just got.
I would hate to change them, I like the way ride as is.
I guess I can leave them??

yes, they are fine, enjoy the ride ;)

shovelhd
07-22-2015, 03:42 PM
Generic 27mm wide carbon clinchers, GP4000sii 25mm, Vittoria 25/28 latex tubes. Not one issue, and I bomb descents. My one flat was a pinch flat when I hit a nasty 8" hole on a descent.

John H.
07-22-2015, 03:48 PM
Use Vittoria latex tubes (talc'd), Stans rim tape and careful install- no tools if possible, make sure tube is up inside tire.
I have a set of Vittoria tubes in my race carbon clinchers that is 4 years old.

gospastic
07-22-2015, 04:01 PM
My daily rider is a set of 202s with latex tubes and Veloflex Corsas. No hills here in Chicago but I have no issues with this setup.

zap
07-22-2015, 04:16 PM
in regards to heat build up...if your rim gets hot enough to blow up a tube, you should just get rid of those wheels, because they are probably braking like sh*t at that temp as well.

Ride a tandem with rim brakes down some switchbacks. Rims will get very very hot yet still brake fine. But butyl inner tubes do not last long under such stress (I've seen inner tubes stuck to the inside of tires) and latex just would't hold up.

Seeing how many single roadies ride in the real world-best to recommend butyl.

eBAUMANN
07-22-2015, 04:23 PM
Ride a tandem with rim brakes down some switchbacks. Rims will get very very hot yet still brake fine. But butyl inner tubes do not last long under such stress (I've seen inner tubes stuck to the inside of tires) and latex just would't hold up.

Seeing how many single roadies ride in the real world-best to recommend butyl.

tandems = something i have zero experience with, and will likely keep it that way, as the thought of braking into any of the switchbacks I've been riding with twice the weight/momentum scares the ever living sh*t out of me!

but yea, i agree that butyl tubes are a great default, I'm just sharing my own personal experiences with long mountain descents (granted I'm not dragging my brakes down them...because thats no way to ride a bike) and latex tubes/carbon rims.

stephenmarklay
07-22-2015, 04:26 PM
Thanks you guys. I will give it a whirl.

RobJ
07-22-2015, 04:28 PM
Running Vittoria latex tubes for quite a while in carbon. Some generics in the past, but no issues at all with my 303's and 808's. Just put them in my cross bike on a set of Enve carbon rims too.

zap
07-22-2015, 04:39 PM
tandems = something i have zero experience with, and will likely keep it that way, as the thought of braking into any of the switchbacks I've been riding with twice the weight/momentum scares the ever living sh*t out of me!

Tandems are on the extreme side of the spectrum but my experience (on the tandem) shows what possibly can go wrong. Not a stretch to see someone 250lb or more run into similar problems.

shovelhd
07-22-2015, 04:42 PM
I don't know of too many recreational tandem riders with carbon wheels.

makoti
03-24-2016, 06:54 AM
Bumping this b/c I just decided to try latex tubes. Bought a few, pulled the tube out of my Enve's & mounted them. Had some trouble getting the tubes to seat right, so came looking for advice & found this thread.
So now I have questions. It appears that the general opinion is that latex is ok in carbon unless you do a lot of braking on long descents. Correct? I don't live near mountains, the longest descent I know of is about 4 miles all told when I get to some, & I don't drag the brakes on the rims. Should be ok?
And even on that climb, I'd likely take my alloy Pancenti's, which brings me to another question - any reason to worry about those on descents? My biggest worry with those is the mounting process, which requires tools to get the tire on. Just be careful, I guess.
No matter what, carrying a standard tube as a spare.
Thanks.

RowanB
03-24-2016, 09:53 AM
Enve does not recommend latex. That said I have run Michelin latex tubes in my 4.5s without issue.
An alternative is a lightweight butyl tube such as the Specialized turbo which I have used in my alloy wheels and liked.

makoti
03-24-2016, 10:17 AM
Enve does not recommend latex. That said I have run Michelin latex tubes in my 4.5s without issue.
An alternative is a lightweight butyl tube such as the Specialized turbo which I have used in my alloy wheels and liked.

Thanks, and welcome, btw.
I saw the Enve disclaimer, but wasn't sure how old it was or what prompted it. Ignorance is bliss, I guess. I got a flat two weeks ago, had the wrong length valve tube. Someone gave me a latex one, I slapped it in there and rode it. It's been fine, but all flat stuff. Now I read all this and I'm all worried. I should stop reading, I guess. ;-)

Lewis Moon
03-24-2016, 10:26 AM
i have been riding latex tubes in vittoria open corsa sc 25's on zipp 202 clinchers in the alps for the past week, up and very very fast DOWN a lot of huge freakin mountains. I flatted the front coming down col du madeleine on monday, puncture, tire went flat slowly and I was able to stop without eating it at 40mph. not the tubes fault, glass happens.

overall, i am pretty impressed with the ride quality latex offers, as I have been riding nice 25c open tubulars on wide rims for a long time but only for this trip decided to try out some latex (michelin) tubes. the ride is fantastic.

I used to be a militant butyl tube guy after having a couple of Challenge latex tubes self destruct on the first ride, but I got a smoking deal on 4 new Michelin latex tubes ($7 ea...thank you ebay) and I have been riding them exclusively ever since. There is a difference.

makoti
03-24-2016, 01:16 PM
I used to be a militant butyl tube guy after having a couple of Challenge latex tubes self destruct on the first ride, but I got a smoking deal on 4 new Michelin latex tubes ($7 ea...thank you ebay) and I have been riding them exclusively ever since. There is a difference.

What type of wheels & riding? I paid a bit more from Wiggle. Nice price, indeed.