PDA

View Full Version : (SPOILERS) TDF stage 17 (SPOILERS) Keep back 500 feet

guido
07-22-2015, 07:18 AM
TJ is off to a horrible start today. Over 3 minutes back with over 100km to go. Anyone with teevee or live stream access have any more detail on what is up with him? Second rest day curse happening again?

jr59
07-22-2015, 07:24 AM
No real info. TJ looks very bad and does not seem to be able to even stay with his teammates.

P and P just said BMC says he is sick

guido
07-22-2015, 07:29 AM
Four minutes back now. So hard to get so easy to loose... Wow.

jr59
07-22-2015, 07:31 AM
And guess who in the break AGAIN!

Our friend Peter Sagan..... Mr Green jersey

LJohnny
On the live streaming they showed the race doctor handing over something to TJ. Looked like a pill that he took right away (I don't know if that was shown on the TV as they break for ads)

Raffy
Apparently, TJ is sick. Not a fan but I would never wish anyone drop time due to sickness.

weisan
07-22-2015, 07:52 AM
Back off!

Edited: Who would have thought the eventual winner is...

Len J
07-22-2015, 07:56 AM
He is back with the Peloton with 75K to go.

weisan
07-22-2015, 08:01 AM
Bert+Roger

bcroslin
07-22-2015, 08:07 AM
And he's done. Damn.

bikerboy337
07-22-2015, 08:08 AM
Wow, just wow... didn't expect to see that when i turned my TV on this morning... sad

weisan
07-22-2015, 08:12 AM
61 is no more...:o

weisan
07-22-2015, 08:12 AM
Change of fortune

KJMUNC
07-22-2015, 08:15 AM
man, those 2nd rest days are kryptonite to him. Hope it's nothing serious.....the last week of the big Tours always seem to wear on him more than most.

atrexler
07-22-2015, 08:16 AM
That's brutal. Hard to imagine the disappointment.

denapista
07-22-2015, 08:21 AM
year after year he blows up after the 2nd rest day...
He should do a solo ride on the rest day in the Alps.

bcroslin
07-22-2015, 08:28 AM
http://www.adweek.com/files/imagecache/node-detail/news_article/kfc-hammond-hed-2015.jpg

so Darrell Hammond as the Col is the new Hannah and her horse. Ugh.

bikerboy337
07-22-2015, 08:36 AM
I was pretty sure that was him playing the Col, but couldn't quite figure it out last night... confirmed it for me...

and still feeling bad about TJ... i had a horrible ride in to work today, felt horrible, slow, hungry, lightheaded... and that was just an 18 mile ride to work and i was demoralized, i can't imagine how TJ is feeling right now...

phcollard
07-22-2015, 08:55 AM
TJ abandons :(

bobswire
07-22-2015, 09:04 AM
Oleg Tinfov is really loving himself some Sagan now, Ya think..

MattTuck
07-22-2015, 09:15 AM
Thanks for starting this thread :)

I was out on a 46 mile ride this morning... which was infinitely better than watching the tour. I'll also be away until sunday... so feel free to keep starting these, as I won't be.

Sad to see Tejay abandon. He isn't always the most dynamic rider, but I still appreciate his efforts.

bcroslin
07-22-2015, 09:21 AM
I was pretty sure that was him playing the Col, but couldn't quite figure it out last night... confirmed it for me...

and still feeling bad about TJ... i had a horrible ride in to work today, felt horrible, slow, hungry, lightheaded... and that was just an 18 mile ride to work and i was demoralized, i can't imagine how TJ is feeling right now...

Can you imagine starting week 3 of 100+ days and you wake up with a raging headache? I sometimes sleep in and don't ride when my legs hurt. Say what you will about TJ but he's got my respect.

Shortsocks
07-22-2015, 09:21 AM
Poor dude. That guy is nothing but positive energy. Not a big TJ fan, but I like the kid. He's going to be tough on himself. I wouldn't want this on anyone.

PQJ
07-22-2015, 09:30 AM

I was out on a 46 mile ride this morning... which was infinitely better than watching the tour. I'll also be away until sunday... so feel free to keep starting these, as I won't be.

Talk about a dereliction of duty. You were doing such a good job! :beer:

guido
07-22-2015, 09:32 AM

Sad to see Tejay abandon. He isn't always the most dynamic rider, but I still appreciate his efforts.

Happy to take up the flame proof mantle and start the conversation...

Riding a bike is definitely better than watching others do it...

bcroslin
07-22-2015, 09:34 AM
wow, it's taken over two weeks before my first sighting of a hairy dude in a Borat bikini. These fans need to step their game up.

KJMUNC
07-22-2015, 09:40 AM
....and Pinot crashes on the descent. You knew that was coming.

weisan
07-22-2015, 09:42 AM
Geraint Thomas is the Beast. Crashed and gets even better.

bikerboy337
07-22-2015, 09:44 AM
happy to see all the attacks today... need to liven this up and try to crack froome a bit, not sure it'll work, but glad to see a lot of action...

chengher87
07-22-2015, 09:56 AM
What is going on today? Carnage all over on the descent and before the climbs? Never thought that would be the case. It is a pity that TJ abandoned today, was really pulling for him to podium, but as people have already mentioned....rest days just seem to befuddle him. Not that it's uncommon, Purito also has massive issues on rest days as well, as it has cost him two Vueltas.

Did anyone catch what actually happened to Contador? All I saw was him on the side of the road with two teammates.

Although........my prediction of Talansky finishing ahead of TJ did come to fruition, just not in the way I was expecting....at all.

guido
07-22-2015, 10:14 AM
Contador crashed. He can't buy a break in this race...

Interesting Quintana Froome duel...

denapista
07-22-2015, 10:23 AM
Come on!!! Can no one in the damn GC pack break Froome?
Is he just that damn good?
Quintana should attack and just keep going, why do they keep looking bakc and breaking stride? Froome has them mentally defeated.

nooneline
07-22-2015, 10:28 AM
Quintana should attack and just keep going

Yeah, it's that easy, he should just do that.

Shortsocks
07-22-2015, 10:40 AM
Come on!!! Can no one in the damn GC pack break Froome?

+1

That's very well said. Just break the man! Quintana is a Climbing FOOL! Come on little guy, break out your inner PANTANI!!!

bcroslin
07-22-2015, 11:03 AM
....and Pinot crashes on the descent. You knew that was coming.

In his defense that looked like a slippy piece of asphalt due to the heat

soulspinner
07-22-2015, 11:14 AM
I just cant watch Froome win this easily, its bugging me:bike:

ceolwulf
07-22-2015, 11:17 AM
I just cant watch Froome win this easily, its bugging me:bike:

I like Froome but this is his method:

1. Mark everything
2. Pull out a big margin on one stage
3. Go back to marking everything
4. Win

And it's just not terribly interesting :(

goonster
07-22-2015, 11:19 AM
break out your inner PANTANI!!!

Please no. I know that story, and it does not end well . . .

FlashUNC
07-22-2015, 11:19 AM
Geraint Thomas is still 4th in the GC. Should tell you all you need to know about this Sky squad...

soulspinner
07-22-2015, 11:21 AM
Geraint Thomas is still 4th in the GC. Should tell you all you need to know about this Sky squad...

Hard to believe its just fairy dust he is hanging on with.......:rolleyes:

Shortsocks
07-22-2015, 11:22 AM
Please no. I know that story, and it does not end well . . .

:beer:

kramnnim
07-22-2015, 11:43 AM

You do realize that Movistar has 2nd and 3rd, let's point fingers at them.

Keith A
07-22-2015, 11:49 AM
You do realize that Movistar has 2nd and 3rd, let's point fingers at them.Maybe Sky and Movistar are eating the same beef :rolleyes:

bobswire
07-22-2015, 11:51 AM

Why? They were and are legitimate GC contenders. Though I'm not accusing Thomas of anything just pointing out a flaw in your finger pointing. :)

kramnnim
07-22-2015, 11:51 AM
Maybe Sky and Movistar are eating the same beef :rolleyes:

Stealing it off the truck before Contador can get to it, yes. :(

Auk
07-22-2015, 11:53 AM

1. Mark everything
4. Win

Its a proven formula that works. . .just not good for popcorn eating at home.

BobbyJones
07-22-2015, 11:53 AM
Ummmm... doping aside, it worked 7 times for he who shall not be mentioned.

1. Mark everything
4. Win

guido
07-22-2015, 11:54 AM
It isn't like Valverde and Quintana don't have the history and physical skills to back up their current positions. Lots of folks have found it curious that Thomas have moved from being a classics guy to an elite climber in less than one season...

guido
07-22-2015, 11:55 AM
Ummmm... doping aside, it worked 7 times for he who shall not be mentioned.

Those were not a lot of fun to watch either...

FlashUNC
07-22-2015, 11:55 AM

One is a Colombian climber in the grand tradition of their riders, who's already shown he's one of the best in the world going uphill. The other is a Spaniard already popped once for doping but has a reputation for hanging around in the hilliest of races.

They're FAR less suspicious than the Welshman who has never factored into a hilly classic, must less giant mountain passes. Thomas is a guy who can't even hang at LBL or Lombardia.

In the last three years Thomas has gone from 140th to 22nd to presumably top 10 at the Tour? After never placing higher than 31st in any Grand Tour?

Yeah....not buying it. Seen this story too much before.

denapista
07-22-2015, 12:10 PM
What a crappy tour for Contador. Feel bad for the dude.
Chasing that double and that huge payout from Tinkoff.
I would have left the Giro alone and went for the Tour/Vuelta double.
The Tour is more prestige than the Giro.

phcollard
07-22-2015, 12:16 PM
One is a Colombian climber in the grand tradition of their riders, who's already shown he's one of the best in the world going uphill. The other is a Spaniard already popped once for doping but has a reputation for hanging around in the hilliest of races.

They're FAR less suspicious than the Welshman who has never factored into a hilly classic, must less giant mountain passes. Thomas is a guy who can't even hang at LBL or Lombardia.

In the last three years Thomas has gone from 140th to 22nd to presumably top 10 at the Tour? After never placing higher than 31st in any Grand Tour?

This 1000%.

I haven't watched the stage yet but I understand it was another boring day? I'm gonna watch it tonight while doing something else then. So much for my love for the Tour.

Is it just me or the Giro this year was a fantastic race, exciting every day? Compared to that I already fell asleep twice in front of the TV during this year's TdF.

bobswire
07-22-2015, 12:21 PM
This 1000%.

I haven't watched the stage yet but I understand it was another boring day? I'm gonna watch it tonight while doing something else then. So much for my love for the Tour.

Is it just me or the Giro this year was a fantastic race, exciting every day? Compared to that I already fell asleep twice in front of the TV during this year's TdF.

You spoiler'd yourself! :no: ;)

phcollard
07-22-2015, 12:36 PM
You spoiler'd yourself! :no: ;)

Busted :D :D

jlwdm
07-22-2015, 12:40 PM
This 1000%.

It was an exciting day. I guess it depends on your attitude.

Jeff

denapista
07-22-2015, 12:47 PM
The giro is exciting because of the GC time bonuses. Imagine if they had time bonuses in the Tour! Froome's lead wouldn't be that much protected.

There's just no way Froome is going to lose over 2 minutes to any GC guy in this upcoming week. He'll have to crash in the heat of the moment and retire, so that the GC guys don't attack on yellow, or he'll have to pop on a climb. Both seem out of the question. Every attack, that guy revs up the RPM's and latches back onto Quintana or anyone for that matter. The guy is chasing down gnats that hover around you on long climbs. He's not losing it this year.

kramnnim
07-22-2015, 12:48 PM
So Froome is doping because he was a "donkey" until he joined Sky.

Thomas has performed well since he was young but is doping because he was promoted to lieutenant and hasn't crashed out like he usually does. His transition from the track to stage races has been going on for a couple of years, but success automatically means he is cheating.

kramnnim
07-22-2015, 12:49 PM
The giro is exciting because of the GC time bonuses. Imagine if they had time bonuses in the Tour! Froome's lead wouldn't be that much protected.

I guess you missed the fact that time bonuses returned (somewhat) this year.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2014/10/news/tour-de-france-resurrects-time-bonuses-reshuffles-points-competition_350373

enr1co
07-22-2015, 12:51 PM

Thought it might be the jawbone energy glasses that was giving GT super climbing powers but he lost those on Monday so there's definitely something else going on ;)

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/images/reviews/190/1173401990.jpg

http://keyassets.timeincuk.net/inspirewp/live/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2015/03/WATSON_00004144-002-630x420.jpg

mgm777
07-22-2015, 12:59 PM

Along these same lines....

Chris Froome(6'1", 157 lbs) vs. Nairo Quintana(5'6", 128 lbs).
Froome must be putting out some incredible power numbers. He outweighs Quintana by nearly 30 lbs and is still able to keep pace and sometimes out-accellerate some of the world's best climbers. Hmmmmm.

soulspinner
07-22-2015, 01:02 PM

Could not understand why he didnt do it this way either...

kramnnim
07-22-2015, 01:09 PM
Thought it might be the jawbone energy glasses that was giving GT super climbing powers but he lost those on Monday so there's definitely something else going on ;)

His fiance found him some replacements! https://twitter.com/SaraEls90/status/623233346961850368

kramnnim
07-22-2015, 01:11 PM

Froome must be putting out some incredible power numbers. He outweighs Quintana by nearly 30 lbs and is still able to keep pace and sometimes out-accellerate some of the world's best climbers. Hmmmmm.

Sky says Froome is down below 150 pounds right now.

They released his wattage numbers yesterday and while impressive, they are not inhuman like some claimed.

Perhaps he is also one of the world's best climbers.

firerescuefin
07-22-2015, 02:31 PM
Don't know if anyone saw the interview with Simon Geschke after the stage. Very emotional (understandably) Great to see him win the stage. Hat's off to him.

joosttx
07-22-2015, 03:04 PM

Truly an excellent read linked below.

http://sportsscientists.com/2015/07/great-power-great-responsibility-less-power-greater-speeds/

shovelhd
07-22-2015, 04:03 PM
Don't know if anyone saw the interview with Simon Geschke after the stage. Very emotional (understandably) Great to see him win the stage. Hat's off to him.

I did. There's nothing like winning a big race with a risky solo attack off the front. Good for him. Talansky didn't need much more road, though.

Ray
07-22-2015, 04:33 PM
Can't remember seeing a guy with a full beard in the TdF before, let alone winning a stage, let alone a mountain stage. I thought that was just for burly Russian villains in "American Flyers". As a bearded guy, I was pulling for him for that reason alone. That, and the way he built his lead on the descent before the final climb...

-Ray

ultraman6970
07-22-2015, 05:24 PM
Hmm... dunno if somebody mentioned this but looks like valverde definitely is not one of the sharpest riders around. A couple of years ago, contador told purito and valverde to pull together when they dropped froome at the vuelta... guess what.. they did not listen... one of the two got off the podium... then came the world cup thing 2 years ago... another super sharp moment.

Today movistar needed to just stay there at sky wheel when contador attacked, just let sky to go for the chase... and then wait for the right moment for the one/two punch to froome once he was isolated. Contador is not like super good right now, there was chances to get rid off of him just standing at sky's wheel because he was not going to be able to cross to the group ahead IMO, contador was playing his cards and even sky did not go for it maybe for the same reason, But NO, they had to pull contador back...

ultraman6970
07-22-2015, 05:32 PM
He is a good climber, the problem is that quintana is climbing bad... valverde is top notch this year but remember he is not a pure climber. Contador did not get to the tour in good condition and you have to put that in consideration and thats why looks like he is super human. Not saying praying mantis is doped but his team of no climbers obviously makes eyebrows to rise big time because a couple of them shouldn't be there climbing with quintana for example. Is just weird to many.

Dont see how they are going to win the race from Froomey.

Sky says Froome is down below 150 pounds right now.

They released his wattage numbers yesterday and while impressive, they are not inhuman like some claimed.

Perhaps he is also one of the world's best climbers.

soulspinner
07-22-2015, 05:47 PM
He is a good climber, the problem is that quintana is climbing bad... valverde is top notch this year but remember he is not a pure climber. Contador did not get to the tour in good condition and you have to put that in consideration and thats why looks like he is super human. Not saying praying mantis is doped but his team of no climbers obviously makes eyebrows to rise big time because a couple of them shouldn't be there climbing with quintana for example. Is just weird to many.

Dont see how they are going to win the race from Froomey.

This...

enr1co
07-22-2015, 06:08 PM
Hmm... dunno if somebody mentioned this but looks like valverde definitely is not one of the sharpest riders around. A couple of years ago, contador told purito and valverde to pull together when they dropped froome at the vuelta... guess what.. they did not listen... one of the two got off the podium... then came the world cup thing 2 years ago... another super sharp moment.

Today movistar needed to just stay there at sky wheel when contador attacked, just let sky to go for the chase... and then wait for the right moment for the one/two punch to froome once he was isolated. Contador is not like super good right now, there was chances to get rid off of him just standing at sky's wheel because he was not going to be able to cross to the group ahead IMO, contador was playing his cards and even sky did not go for it maybe for the same reason, But NO, they had to pull contador back...

Yep, not sure what the heck Valverde was thinking ( obviously NOT thinking) by chasing down Contador on the Allos???!!! Thanks for helping the Sky cause AV. :mad:

kramnnim
07-22-2015, 06:13 PM
On his good days, Porte has been able to climb as well as Froome, nothing new or unusual. He's supposed to be a grand tour leader, just hasn't been a very good one.

Thomas has been working on his climbing, cutting weight, etc. And hasn't been climbing quite as well as Quintana. MTN Qhubeka's manager actually wanted to hire Thomas on loan from Sky to lead MTN for the Tour. I don't know why his performance is so surprising...

weisan
07-22-2015, 06:46 PM
Do, Re, Mi, Fa, So....

weisan
07-22-2015, 07:15 PM
Can't remember seeing a guy with a full beard in the TdF before, let alone winning a stage, let alone a mountain stage. I thought that was just for burly Russian villains in "American Flyers". As a bearded guy, I was pulling for him for that reason alone. That, and the way he built his lead on the descent before the final climb...

-Rayz

Md3000
07-22-2015, 07:33 PM
Porte. First he's in the breakaway with Nicholas Roche ( another one of sky's "climbers" ) then he gets a call to sit back for a bit to help out froome, so he does that on the longest and toughest climb of the day. Once he gets to the gc group he picks up their pace immediately and smiles at Quintana before he takes the lead. Then when froome tells Porte he's okay, Porte sits back a bit more to then help Thomas up the mountain!?!? Is this real? Either this guy has a real great day and really loves working for other people, or something's fishy

Elefantino
07-22-2015, 07:39 PM
It will be interesting to see Tejay and Porte on the same team next year. That will make a trio (including Dennis) of guys with loads of talent in the engine room but with a lot of conflicting information going on in the control room.

guido
07-22-2015, 07:47 PM
Truly an excellent read linked below.

http://sportsscientists.com/2015/07/great-power-great-responsibility-less-power-greater-speeds/

Indeed fascinating article. Thanks for sharing!

guyintense
07-22-2015, 07:51 PM
In his defense that looked like a slippy piece of asphalt due to the heat

If you look at the video it would appear Pinot scrapes a pedal in the turn, you can see his rear wheel lift.

ginsued
07-22-2015, 08:09 PM
Porte. First he's in the breakaway with Nicholas Roche ( another one of sky's "climbers" ) then he gets a call to sit back for a bit to help out froome, so he does that on the longest and toughest climb of the day. Once he gets to the gc group he picks up their pace immediately and smiles at Quintana before he takes the lead. Then when froome tells Porte he's okay, Porte sits back a bit more to then help Thomas up the mountain!?!? Is this real? Either this guy has a real great day and really loves working for other people, or something's fishy

Porte didn't help Thomas that was Wout Poels. Porte was with Froome until Contador crashed in front of him on the descent and he couldn't make it back up to him.

rustychisel
07-22-2015, 08:16 PM
If you look at the video it would appear Pinot scrapes a pedal in the turn, you can see his rear wheel lift.

I don't see that, I don't see pedal strike. I thought at first he hit fresh paint, but it's not that either. It is fresh tarmac, and if you've seen that in France it is incredibly malleable when hot. It may be he pulled a little rear brake to try and tighten the turn, but it looks as if the wheel merely slipped out under him.

guyintense
07-22-2015, 08:33 PM
Pinot tries to pedal through the corner, pedal hits, rear wheel comes off the ground and down he goes.

acorn_user
07-22-2015, 09:48 PM

Sorry, but this is bona fide rot. 5th overall in Paris-Nice, won the Volta Ao Algarve and came second to an epic Simon Spilak TT at the Tour de Suisse?! I do think Thomas is breaking into new territory, but it is not extra terrestrial stuff atmo. Sky has clearly been grooming him for stage racing, and to insinuate that this shows doping is not cool.

Anyway, can't we talk about another awesome win for Team Beard? Julian Simon (Cofidis) is up next...

FlashUNC
07-22-2015, 09:55 PM
Sorry, but this is bona fide rot. 5th overall in Paris-Nice, won the Volta Ao Algarve and came second to an epic Simon Spilak TT at the Tour de Suisse?! I do think Thomas is breaking into new territory, but it is not extra terrestrial stuff atmo. Sky has clearly been grooming him for stage racing, and to insinuate that this shows doping is not cool.

Anyway, can't we talk about another awesome win for Team Beard? Julian Simon (Cofidis) is up next...

Thomas is 29. He's not shown this kind of ability over the last near-decade he's been a pro.

Is Thomas maybe paying for the sins of the past in my eyes? Maybe. But everything you cite -- literally all of those results -- came this year. For a 29-year old. Who's suddenly found his ability to climb? His palmares until this year shows nothing that would indicate he can go uphill with the world's best.

I'm sorry you think its rot, but either Thomas is having the year of his life -- maybe he went vegan, who knows? -- or something else is up. And in the last three decades, every time some dude has done something like this, its been because he got on a program.

Maybe that makes me a cynic, but that's kind of what the sport has brought on itself at this point.

ultraman6970
07-22-2015, 10:30 PM
Agree... with this, he hits the ground with the pedal, the piece that is moving around or is asphalt or a piece of the pedal.

Pinot really needs to learn hot to go downhill, he simply sucks. When you see Talansky passing him you is even more noticeable how bad he positions the bike before and after any section of the downhill. Even in the straight parts of the road he was swinging the bike to the sides. Like fighting the road instead of using it to go faster.

Pinot is the guy that was afraid of going downhill??

Pinot tries to pedal through the corner, pedal hits, rear wheel comes off the ground and down he goes.

kramnnim
07-23-2015, 12:13 AM
Thomas is 29. He's not shown this kind of ability over the last near-decade he's been a pro.

Is Thomas maybe paying for the sins of the past in my eyes? Maybe. But everything you cite -- literally all of those results -- came this year. For a 29-year old. Who's suddenly found his ability to climb? His palmares until this year shows nothing that would indicate he can go uphill with the world's best.

...again, he's been busy with his track stuff until recently. In 2013 he started talking about transitioning to week long races and then grand tours, started to lose weight, etc. And until now he's been just another domestique for the various leaders. And he isn't climbing with the best, just better than you think he should.

Md3000
07-23-2015, 09:17 AM
Porte didn't help Thomas that was Wout Poels. Porte was with Froome until Contador crashed in front of him on the descent and he couldn't make it back up to him.

ah my bad sorry! I shouldnt be listening to Phil so much!

alessandro
07-23-2015, 12:03 PM

It is definitely odd to see Contador in such reduced circumstances. But who knows what went into the decision to for him to enter the Giro+Tour, rather than Tour+Vuelta? Probably a whole bunch of reasons. I would argue that the Giro is more prestigious than the Vuelta, so it made sense for him to do the Giro first. Also, Pantani.

Also, consider that there are five weeks of recovery time between the end of the Giro and the start of the Tour, vs. four weeks between the Tour and the Vuelta:

Giro: May 9-31
TdF: July 4-26
Vuelta: Aug. 22-Sept. 13

Finally, what is left for him to do? He already has 7 GT wins, plus a couple that were taken away.
2007: Tour
2008: Giro-Vuelta double
2009: Tour
2010: Tour (voided)
2011: Giro (voided)
2012: Vuelta
2014: Vuelta
2015: Giro...

paredown
07-23-2015, 01:38 PM
I was sorry to TJ abandon, but it sounds like he had been fighting something for a couple of days:
Team doctor Max Testa described the illness as a respiratory infection. He said van Garderen started to get a headache, didn't feel good and couldn't develop enough power to stay with the other podium contenders who piled on the speed to get rid of him on Wednesday.Testa says the combination of fatigue from the illness and the very hard start to the stage proved too much.

The doctor had been hoping that van Garderen was over the worst part of an illness that the rider had been battling for several days.
Link (http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/cycling/2015/07/22/tejay-van-garderen-abandons-tour-de-france-illness/30508657/)

The Eurosport guys said they heard he was having trouble breathing--and he looked pretty wrecked when he packed it in.