PDA

View Full Version : Good 25 mm tire for commuting?

93legendti
05-04-2006, 09:24 AM
I finally found a route that will let me take my daughter to school via bike. Part of the route is a packed gravel/dirt road, so I need something tougher than my Veloflex Paves. I was thinking Conti Ultra 2000 25mm's. Anything bigger than 25mm probably will not fit on my Serotta's stays. Any suggestions?

alancw3
05-04-2006, 09:31 AM
for a general use tire i have had great luck with performance gt2 w/kevlar tires. they are like $17.99 but are sometimes on sale. if you are an ocp then these would not work for you. down here in south florida the roads get so hot that i have found that $60 tires burn up just as fast as $20 tires so i buy what works for me particularly during the summer months.

Smiley
05-04-2006, 09:49 AM
Conti Gator Skins , go over anything tire :)

Grant McLean
05-04-2006, 09:53 AM
Panaracer Pasela "tour guard" kevlar work well too. Slightly more tread pattern
than most 25c tires.

g

coylifut
05-04-2006, 10:15 AM
I've found the Michelin carbons to be stronger and longer wearing than the Gatorskins, but the skins roll nicer.

RHD
05-04-2006, 10:22 AM
A friend recommended the Bontrager Hard Case tire's after she made a cross country trip from Costa Mesa Ca. to Boston Mass. with out a flat. I have about 1,000 mi. on mine and they still look almost new and no flats. The ride is OK about the same as Gator Skins.

djg
05-04-2006, 10:26 AM
The michelin carbons wear pretty well and can be found in a 23 or 25. Performance recently was blowing out the 23s pretty cheap--it may be narrower than you want, but it's wider than a lot of nominal "23"s (and maybe at least as wide as a few nominal "25"s out there).

flydhest
05-04-2006, 10:32 AM
I've found the Michelin carbons to be stronger and longer wearing than the Gatorskins, but the skins roll nicer.

what coylifut and djg said. I've commuted on both on DC streets. 1 flat on Michelins and 0 on Contis but about 5 times the commuting miles (something like 2000 versus 300-400) on the Michelins so it's either very close or even. The Michelins ride a lot better. The Contis feel too tall (no, not Too Tall, thought he doesn't object to being felt) while the Michelins just feel like great tires. I've actually ridden both on dirt trails and they were as fine as a road tire can be on dirt trails. That is to say, just fine as long as you are being sane.

Fixed
05-04-2006, 10:55 AM
bro try the conti 1000- 28's they cheap and they fit on every bike i've tried .
cheers

rpm
05-04-2006, 11:14 AM
My experience with the Conti 4000 25's is that they're really nice tires--light, smooth, and tough. They are definitely worth the money. On the other hand I had horrible experiences with Conti 2000's. I had two sidewall cuts within a week, sending both tires to the junkheap. Avoid them like the plague, IMHO.

Ginger
05-04-2006, 11:49 AM
I rode up Dutton hill (and down twice) on my Kirk with the Carbons last night...
(actally, they're just fine on my usual quick loop of Squirrel-Dutton-Paint Creek trail-Clinton River Pathway (including the sections with the 1-2" stone surface)- Hamlin-Squirrel. Haven't flatted on this set since TDFL two years ago. I run about 110lbs in them.
Although I never flatted on the continental Grand Prix I used to ride, I like the Carbons better than the Continentals. The continentals seemed "slippy-er" on gravel than the carbons.

Rapid Tourist
05-04-2006, 11:53 AM
I use 25 conti 4-season tires on my current commuter. They last a very very long time

palincss
05-04-2006, 11:54 AM
I finally found a route that will let me take my daughter to school via bike. Part of the route is a packed gravel/dirt road, so I need something tougher than my Veloflex Paves. I was thinking Conti Ultra 2000 25mm's. Anything bigger than 25mm probably will not fit on my Serotta's stays. Any suggestions?

I suggest a different bike. For me, there is no 25mm tire that's any good on dirt.

Ginger
05-04-2006, 11:55 AM
That is a thought...93...don't you have that Hors cross bike?

bigbill
05-04-2006, 12:41 PM
I tried to fit a 25mm armadillo on my Pego with a mizuno fork and it wouldn't fit. A 23mm will fit fine and is as big as alot of 25s. That being said, they ride like crap but if you are on dirt and gravel, you probably wouldn't notice. I commute on armadillos and have never flatted on the way to work. I did have a tire going down once, but made it in and changed it in my office. I recently put some Specialized Roubaix 23/25 tires on my race bike. The tire has a volume of a 25 but rolls nicely. The tire is flak jacket protected. I have had good luck with flats using the specialized tire. No problem clearing the fork or rear caliper (chorus).

Ken Robb
05-04-2006, 01:28 PM
conti ultragatorskins are very flat-resistant and ride nicely too. 700x28 measures about 26.3 on open pro rim. 700x25 measures about 24 on opn prs.

FWIW-the 700x25 fits but not 700x28 in my F1 fork. Profile Design fork takes 700x28 easily.

My old Pasela 700x32 measures 28.5. The latest Paselas are suppoesd to be close to the stated size.

Ruffy Tuffy measures close to 700x27 on op rims

All of these are ok on easy off-rode jaunts.
No good in deep gravel or sand as they dig too deep.

93legendti
05-04-2006, 01:41 PM
That is a thought...93...don't you have that Hors cross bike?

I do--but I can't attach the Burley trailer to the seat stays of the Hors. My Trek XO-1 is at the lbs and for sale--that would be the perfect bike for the pre-school commute--but I have too many bikes.

The gravel/dirt packed road is only about 1-2 miles of the 4 mile commute, so a treaded tire isn't necesary--I hope, I need to do a shake down ride without my daughter to see how it goes. I have the 25mm 2000's, so I am going to try those and see if 25mm will work. There are some great suggestions here. Thanks!

93legendti
05-05-2006, 02:27 PM
Update: I picked my daughter up today via the bike/Burley combo. Of the 20 minute commute, ~5-7 minutes was on the hard packed stuff. The 25mm Conti 2000's, pumped to 100psi, worked great. Her ride was bumpier than mine, she said...I may need to lower the psi in the Burley's tires. I pulled the Burley with my '93 Legend, which worked great--I am pretty sure that's not how Ben intended the Legend to be used! I may yet try some of the tires suggested above, so thanks again!

Fixed
05-05-2006, 02:39 PM
cool bro .two happy campers
cheers

Grant McLean
05-05-2006, 02:46 PM
I do--but I can't attach the Burley trailer to the seat stays of the Hors.

you can get the burley "alternate" hitch, which is a QR with the trailer mount
point on the end. It doesn't touch your frame. Also works for bikes with
disc brakes.

http://images.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=http://www.burley.com/images/CMS/NuttedAltHitch2.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.burley.com/products/trailers/defaultb65b.html%3Fp%3DAlternative%2BHitch%26i%3D1 1&h=347&w=350&sz=17&tbnid=ifZjW55gCb1-cM:&tbnh=115&tbnw=116&hl=en&start=10&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dburley%2Balternate%2Bhitch%26svnum%3D 10%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26sa%3DG

-g

93legendti
05-05-2006, 03:46 PM
cool bro .two happy campers
cheers

Thanks, Fixed. My daughter was having a great time--we had quite a crowd around us as we were loading up to go home. She had so much fun, she forgot to finish the cookie I brought her as a treat--it was in her hand the whole way home--half eaten. :)

SayHey
05-05-2006, 10:20 PM
The recounting of your story picking up your daughter triggered my own similar memories. I recall pulling my two daughters in a Burley trailer many years ago. They'd pack toys, Cheerios, cassette player, water, etc. in the trailer and we'd head off for a two-hour ride ... on our Santana tandem. It was quite a sight. The kids occasionally talk about those times now that the oldest one is in college. Those simple pleasures and memories can be some of the best.

93legendti
05-06-2006, 06:28 AM
you can get the burley "alternate" hitch, which is a QR with the trailer mount
point on the end. It doesn't touch your frame. Also works for bikes with
disc brakes.

http://images.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=http://www.burley.com/images/CMS/NuttedAltHitch2.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.burley.com/products/trailers/defaultb65b.html%3Fp%3DAlternative%2BHitch%26i%3D1 1&h=347&w=350&sz=17&tbnid=ifZjW55gCb1-cM:&tbnh=115&tbnw=116&hl=en&start=10&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dburley%2Balternate%2Bhitch%26svnum%3D 10%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26sa%3DG

-g

Thanks, I am going to check it out.

palincss
05-06-2006, 04:27 PM
Thanks, Fixed. My daughter was having a great time--we had quite a crowd around us as we were loading up to go home. She had so much fun, she forgot to finish the cookie I brought her as a treat--it was in her hand the whole way home--half eaten. :)

I wonder - have you given any thought to whether there is a kid-back tandem in your future? It is truly the most fun you can have on two wheels - and they don't stay in a trailerable weight range very long.

93legendti
05-06-2006, 06:08 PM
I wonder - have you given any thought to whether there is a kid-back tandem in your future? It is truly the most fun you can have on two wheels - and they don't stay in a trailerable weight range very long.

Is that the half "bike" that attaches to a single bike and the kids can pedal or not pedal? I have given it some thought. I think next summer would be the earliest she could ride one of those--she'll be 4 1/2 then. But, we have a tandem, so I have been thinking about a Co-Motion Periscope or an adapter kit for the cranks for her.

Fixed
05-06-2006, 06:24 PM
bro those will be priceless memories in years to come for her and you . enjoy bro
cheers

palincss
05-06-2006, 06:52 PM
Is that the half "bike" that attaches to a single bike and the kids can pedal or not pedal? I have given it some thought. I think next summer would be the earliest she could ride one of those--she'll be 4 1/2 then. But, we have a tandem, so I have been thinking about a Co-Motion Periscope or an adapter kit for the cranks for her.

No, those are "trail-a-bikes" (may be a brand name). I'm talking about the real thing: a tandem with a "kidback adapter" -- i.e., a second bottom bracket assembly you attach to the stoker's seat tube, that contains a set of kid-sized cranks, and a connector chain from the child's cranks down to the main drivetrain. Part of the package is also a super-long stem to bring the bars back to where a kid can reach them (stoker stems work backwards, of course: added length reduces reach). As the kid grows, you move the adapter downward, until finally you take it off and they use regular cranks (sometimes for a while with bolt-on crank shorteners).

AFAIK those trail-a-bikes don't handle like the real thing; a real tandem with a child stoker is an amazing thing to ride. Kids have a fantastic power to weight ratio, and when they decide to kick in child-power it's like lighting a JATO unit. And they are fantastic companions on the road.

A tandem is a crew-served vehicle, and a six year old kid will speak to you of "our bike". You're a team, and I don't know anything else you can do with a six year old where they are an equal partner in a team with you. It really changes and deepens the relationship between you, and lets you have amazing adventures together.

Grant McLean
05-06-2006, 08:18 PM
My sister rides with her 5 year old daughter on a trail-a-bike (a brand name
by "Adams", they're Canadian!) She loves it. The little one is too young
to be on her own in traffic, so it's perfect that she's tied to her mom!
She's not a cyclist, and would never get a tandem. The trail-a-bike is a great
compromise.

g

93legendti
05-06-2006, 09:05 PM
No, those are "trail-a-bikes" (may be a brand name). I'm talking about the real thing: a tandem with a "kidback adapter" -- i.e., a second bottom bracket assembly you attach to the stoker's seat tube, that contains a set of kid-sized cranks, and a connector chain from the child's cranks down to the main drivetrain. Part of the package is also a super-long stem to bring the bars back to where a kid can reach them (stoker stems work backwards, of course: added length reduces reach). As the kid grows, you move the adapter downward, until finally you take it off and they use regular cranks (sometimes for a while with bolt-on crank shorteners).

AFAIK those trail-a-bikes don't handle like the real thing; a real tandem with a child stoker is an amazing thing to ride. Kids have a fantastic power to weight ratio, and when they decide to kick in child-power it's like lighting a JATO unit. And they are fantastic companions on the road.

A tandem is a crew-served vehicle, and a six year old kid will speak to you of "our bike". You're a team, and I don't know anything else you can do with a six year old where they are an equal partner in a team with you. It really changes and deepens the relationship between you, and lets you have amazing adventures together.

Gotcha. Well, we have the tandem hanging in our garage (other than occassional rides with my buddy the swimmer/paratrooper), since my wife's knee surgery. I hope next year our daughter will be able to ride with me on the tandem--I guess I should start looking for one of those kidback adapters. Already on her 2 wheeler with training wheels I have to run to keep up with her!