PDA

View Full Version : What happens when fat old men get out of shape

Too Tall
05-03-2006, 09:01 PM
I've missed alot of training due to construction at Casa Too Tall. Inconsistent riding is a fat old mans nightmare. Anywho to make a long story short I decided to die broke and pay sub contractors to finish the construction rather than lose mine and Queen's lifestyle in sports. So there you have it.

This evening I raced and took 8th in a very fast training crit. A few weeks of decent riding and I'm feeling like a human bean once more.

(sigh) Sometimes it is about making sacrifices to achieve "happy" and I know many of you do the same.

Peace, TT.

Grant McLean
05-03-2006, 09:06 PM
That's funny, I pay people to race for me,
while I stay home to work around the house.

;-)

g

Fixed
05-03-2006, 09:06 PM
bro life is short be happy i.m.h.o.
.cheers

manet
05-03-2006, 09:10 PM
i had my mullet taken in this afternoon

spiderman
05-03-2006, 09:15 PM
but i'm thinking about buying one of these
http://chinadayang.en.alibaba.com/product/50084803/50391067/Lawnmowers/Mechanical_Lawnmower.html
and doing it myself again.
...maybe i'd get in better shape...

Argos
05-03-2006, 09:58 PM
Hmmm. Odd. I'm at the other end. I'm still looking for one of these in either 32 or 36....

http://mikeslawnmower.com/pix/HPIM0356.JPG

jeffg
05-03-2006, 10:43 PM
I have been working all sorts of crazy hours (18+ hours) so riding has taken a back seat to work/family.

I am, however, scheming to get some killer riding in before a ride over most of the course of Stage 19 of the Giro kills this fat old man :no:

TT: You rock, and ride more in a week than I do in a month ...

SoCalSteve
05-03-2006, 11:17 PM
I've missed alot of training due to construction at Casa Too Tall. Inconsistent riding is a fat old mans nightmare. Anywho to make a long story short I decided to die broke and pay sub contractors to finish the construction rather than lose mine and Queen's lifestyle in sports. So there you have it.

This evening I raced and took 8th in a very fast training crit. A few weeks of decent riding and I'm feeling like a human bean once more.

(sigh) Sometimes it is about making sacrifices to achieve "happy" and I know many of you do the same.
Peace, TT.

TT,

I work on a TV show and we are typically off for close to 3 months during the year... If I wanted, I could pick up a movie to keep me in the $$$ for those months off. Instead, I chose to not work and ride, ride, ride!

I treat it as a 3 month training period...the first month I do base work and slowly start doing interval and hill work by the midle of the second month. By the time I go back to work...I'm usually feeling pretty good about my fitness level.

TT, I am with you...I tell people that I semi-retire for a 1/4 of each year. It's what keeps me sane the other 3/4.

Sometimes the $$$ has to come second to what you love and what you know will truly make you happy and healthy.

Good luck to you!

Steve

harlond
05-04-2006, 08:46 AM
but i'm thinking about buying one of these
http://chinadayang.en.alibaba.com/product/50084803/50391067/Lawnmowers/Mechanical_Lawnmower.html
and doing it myself again.
...maybe i'd get in better shape...I have this and love it:

http://www.drpower.com/TwoStepCategory.aspx?Name=NeutonMower2Step

Not a whole lot louder than the reel mower, and because it's not wide, you need more passes to get the job done. So it's harder than a combustion engine mower, but it's not so hard that you dread doing it at all. I know that's contrary to the way many people think about these kinds of machines, but as a fat old man myself, I need the exercise more than I need the efficiency of an ultra-wide, self-powered, high-decibel lawnmower.

No affiliation to the manufacturer.

chrisroph
05-04-2006, 09:03 AM
1. We revel in passing along information to younger riders and we occasionally talk about what we used to be able to do (but we really like it when other people mention past glories, especially if its over a PA).

2. Every few years we train hard and see if we can still kick some butt (and we can).

3. We get a good stoker and race tandems.

4. We simply enjoy riding.

5. All of the above.

catulle
05-04-2006, 11:28 AM
Hey, they call me Marlon Brando, atmo. :cool:

OldDog
05-04-2006, 01:07 PM
You become OldDog. Since I started riding outdoors in March I have logged only 230 miles. I have not been on the bike in two weeks. Lack of time is the culpret. Better days ahead.

Too Tall
05-04-2006, 03:08 PM
I dig the stories.

MartyE
05-04-2006, 03:36 PM
get one of these, best of both worlds