PDA

View Full Version : Cycling with a cold....

mtflycaster
05-03-2006, 04:53 PM
OK. I've heard conflicting opinions on this, so I thought I'd throw it out to the forum.

I have had a cold the last few days. Moved from head to chest. Don't feel all that great, but am working (at the computer). I've stayed off the bike.

Is it better for me to:

A. Rest until the thing is almost gone and stay off the bike

B. Ride gingerly and for a short time, just enough to get the blood moving....no great exertion, but reduce the decline in fitness.

C. Hammer that cold out. Do the usual rides to get the body temperature up, kill the virus and break up the congestion (or might that weaken me and make things worse?)

Inquiring minds want to know...

Pete

telenick
05-03-2006, 05:13 PM
Instead of the Tuesday night B ride, do the C ride.

Frog Hair
05-03-2006, 06:11 PM
Here is what I was taught for years. My coach and doctor both agreed on this:

If the symptoms are above the neck you are generally okay to exercise. (head cold, sinus, etc)
If the symptoms are below the neck, DO NOT exercise. (lungs, throat, chest, stomach)
And if there is a fever present, don't even think about it. (you risk all kinds of damage, particularly to the heart wall)

Also, if you are checking your heart rate daily, you may see a slight increase in your resting heart rate, or you may also see that if you are feeling under the weather that you simply cannot get your heart rate up very high. Personally, when I pushed it, these were always the days I made things worse for myself. You'll never hurt yourself taking a little extra time to rest. You always risk doubling your time off by pushing it.

mtflycaster
05-03-2006, 06:20 PM
"Instead of the Tuesday night B ride, do the C ride."

Since I normally do the Tues nite C ride, then that must mean no ride for me!!

And your advice seems sound, too, Frog. My cold is def in the chest, so I'll continue to rest.

Cheers.

Peter

Steve Hampsten
05-03-2006, 06:30 PM
What Frog said.

PM me about that other thing on that one bike if you need the little whozit...

Fixed
05-03-2006, 06:57 PM
bro unless it's your job take a rest most of us don't get enough anyway .start training again next week... i bet you'll feel stronger then than you did last week .i.m.h.o
cheers ..... drink a lot .. no beer

telenick
05-04-2006, 10:29 AM
"Instead of the Tuesday night B ride, do the C ride."

Since I normally do the Tues nite C ride, then that must mean no ride for me!!

And your advice seems sound, too, Frog. My cold is def in the chest, so I'll continue to rest.

Cheers.

Peter

I hope you get better soon.

I tried Mucinex (sp?) for the first time in my life a few weeks ago. I flew to FL and wouldn't you know it, I caught the crud ...probably from all the recirculated air in the plane's cabin. Well, I gotta say that mucinex is like a miracle drug. Within 30 minutes all the junk was pouring out of my nose. Not pretty, but what a relief.

catulle
05-04-2006, 11:26 AM
C for commando types, atmo.

Skrawny
05-04-2006, 07:54 PM
Ultrasound examinations of the hearts of people who are sick with viral illnesses showed an alarmingly high number of focal wall motion changes that are indicative of an inflammation of the heart muscle. We presume that this is happening much more frequently than anyone knows, and that people just get better. Nevertheless, if you are feeling "viral" (you know that run-down, outta' gas feeling you get at the beginning of an illness...) then you should not do any kind of elevated cardiovascular work load as it may increase your chance of a heart arrhythmia. Likewise, if you have a fever, don't exercise. If you otherwise feel fine, but you have a residual stuffy nose, etc. Then light exercise is ok.

We have all heard about pro riders riding when they are sick, but it is not a great idea, and they are getting paid to ride...

Listen to your body; if it says get in bed, then get in bed!
-s

GoJavs
05-04-2006, 08:28 PM
I went out this weekend with Big Dan planning on doing 'B' but ended up in a 'C' incident with a couple of frisky Cat.4s.

Ended up wrecking my week. I'm fried. :crap:

REST!