PDA

View Full Version : New Fierte Steel

4ster
05-03-2006, 01:21 PM
Just picked this up a couple of weeks ago. I have longer legs and a little shorter torso, so needed something with a slightly shorter top tube relative to seat tube. The fit feels really good. Broke it in on a vacation to the Texas hill country. Not the lightest bike around, but the ride is stable and crisp. I still feel the bigger bumps, but the smaller ones are muted much more so than the Cannondale it replaced.

So here's the build details:

Size 56 frame
Kestrel Pro OS fork
King headset
Campy Centaur shifters, f/r der., brakes
Truvativ Roleur crankset (from the Cannondale)
Mavic Ksyrium Elites w/ Conti GP 4000
FSA K-Force Light SB 2.5 seatpost
FSA OS-140 stem
Bontrager Race bars
Look Keo pedals

And here it is...

cydewaze
05-03-2006, 01:42 PM
I want one! Actually, I want a CDA, but a Fierte will do in a pinch. :)

Argos
05-03-2006, 01:49 PM
Does your Polar Speed Sensor Pick up from there? Theyare supposd to go on the fork.

Pretty bike, enjoy!

cydewaze
05-03-2006, 02:11 PM
Does your Polar Speed Sensor Pick up from there? Theyare supposd to go on the fork.

Pretty bike, enjoy!
By putting it on the back wheel, he can see how fast (and how far) he`s going on the trainer. ;)

Bud
05-03-2006, 02:22 PM
Nice ride. It's a lot like mine:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=11446&highlight=My+first+serotta

I love the steel- it's great for the kind of riding I do around here, and is plenty light for our mt. climbing. Have fun with it!

Bill Bove
05-03-2006, 02:22 PM
The whole Fierte range of bikes is vastly underated. I could live with a steel Fierte as my only bike if I had too.

davids
05-03-2006, 02:33 PM
The whole Fierte range of bikes is vastly underated. I could live with a steel Fierte as my only bike if I had too.
Agreed. I could be every bit as satisfied with the full-Ti Fierte I tested as I am with the Nove I bought.

Argos
05-03-2006, 04:40 PM
By putting it on the back wheel, he can see how fast (and how far) he`s going on the trainer. ;)

I get it, but my point was did it work range-wise. Have there been any problems with communications dropping out, etc.

spiderlake
05-03-2006, 05:04 PM
I get it, but my point was did it work range-wise. Have there been any problems with communications dropping out, etc.

There is a little jumper inside the sensor you can move to increase the power. There are two screws that need to be removed and then move the jumper to the outside edge of the sensor. The downside is increased battery consumption but it does boost the range by a couple of feet.

spiderlake
05-03-2006, 05:06 PM
Awesome bike! My wife and I both have Fierte's and couldn't be happier. Welcome to the club! ; )

Just picked this up a couple of weeks ago. I have longer legs and a little shorter torso, so needed something with a slightly shorter top tube relative to seat tube. The fit feels really good. Broke it in on a vacation to the Texas hill country. Not the lightest bike around, but the ride is stable and crisp. I still feel the bigger bumps, but the smaller ones are muted much more so than the Cannondale it replaced.

4ster
05-03-2006, 07:05 PM
Thanks everyone for your comments. I have really enjoyed the bike over the last couple of weeks. I had forgotten how nice the ride is on a steel frame.

Spider is correct that I put the speed sensor on the rear wheel for use in the trainer. It's nice to be able to compare interval sessions on the trainer. I also like to track my total mileage so I can do maintenace at fairly regular intervals. I have no problems with interference or cutting out, but there is a limit to the signal's reach, so larger frames may experience signal problems.

Not trying to start a debate here (see the really popular one on this forum about unstable front end)...I went with the Kestrel fork as it came with the frame. When descending at about 37 mph last week, I got some bad front end shimmy, but was fortunately near the end of the hill. I've read other threads on this topic (incl. the one mentioned above) and know there are a variety of causes. But when I was looking over the bike afterwards to make sure something wasn't loose (everything was good and tight), it appears there is some pretty good flex in the steerer tube and fork legs (when I stand with the bottom of the wheel between my feet and and try to move the bars side to side, I can watch the brake pads move side to side relative to the top of the wheel). I compared this to my wife's bike and another of mine, and they did it much less. Is the Kestrel fork really that flexy and maybe part of the cause for the shimmy? Anyone else experience instability with this fork?

cycleman_21
05-03-2006, 07:46 PM
I have an 04 Fierte Ti with the Kestrel fork and frequently get my speed up over 40 mph and have never felt anything but smooth sailing. Hope you figure that one out, good luck and very nice looking bike, same size as mine by the way ;)

Ron C

Bud
05-03-2006, 07:48 PM
My steel Fierte also has the Kestrel fork, and I've never experienced any shimmy even at 45-50 mph descents. My daily commute includes a 40 mph descent and it's always stable as a rock.

FierteTi52
05-03-2006, 08:16 PM
I have a 2003 Fierte Ti with a Kestel fork and the bike has been rock solid at 48mph. I doubt the fork is a problem. Serotta wouldn't spec. the Kestrel fork if it was lacking in any way. The Fierte's are great bikes.
Enjoy,
Jeff

cydewaze
05-03-2006, 09:06 PM
I get it, but my point was did it work range-wise.
I know, I was just being silly.

vaxn8r
05-03-2006, 10:37 PM
Nice looking bike.

I don't think the front end "softness" has anything to do with it. I've had lots of bikes I can twist the bars up and down quite a bit that never shimmied.

buechse
05-04-2006, 01:32 AM
Very nice bike! For the Fierté geometry I have to say that I always was a little bit afraid of the long HT. But now I'm using some spacers on my Nove that bring me very close to the actual HT-length of a Fierté. I guess that this is a very very good bike! have much fun with it!