PDA

View Full Version : Giro on RAI?

Onno
05-02-2006, 08:42 PM
Does anybody know if we'll be able to watch the Giro via RAI on the web this year? I was able to do this last year, but haven't been able to find a streaming version of RAI in anticipation of the start of the Giro on Saturday.

Onno

Bill Bove
05-02-2006, 09:06 PM
The stream will be oln.tv gonna cost you 30 bucks, but we do get to watch.

dbrk
05-02-2006, 09:25 PM
I'll be darned if I can find out if RAI International is covering the race again this year on Dish Network. Calling Dish is like talking to the cat. Well, I'll try to find out. Last year my Italian improved exponentially over the duration of the race and I much preferred the carnival atmosphere (rather than the OLN militarisitic styl---music, intensity, hype, yuck--- of Tour presentation) of the European race coverage. It was just all more relaxed but still exciting on RAI.

dbrk

Sandy
05-02-2006, 09:31 PM
I'll be darned if I can find out if RAI International is covering the race again this year on Dish Network. Calling Dish is like talking to the cat. Well, I'll try to find out. Last year my Italian improved exponentially over the duration of the race and I much preferred the carnival atmosphere (rather than the OLN militarisitic styl---music, intensity, hype, yuck--- of Tour presentation) of the European race coverage. It was just all more relaxed but still exciting on RAI.

dbrk

Forget talking to the cat. Talk to Mira the Windhound. She will tell you everything that you need to know. :)

Shiloh Shepherd Sandy

Headwinds
05-03-2006, 12:06 AM

Actually, I will be hooking my laptop to my plasma TV and watching it. It shows pretty well. The only problem is he sound. You have to put speakers on the laptop or get an adapter, like the iPod adapter, to connect the laptop to your AV system.

Popcorn anyone?

mdeeds71
05-03-2006, 12:41 AM
Instead of getting an Ipod adapter...Most new digital cameras have the ability to take video and thus they come with a small plug for speakers to RCA cable ends that can go directly to the receiver front/rear for stereo sound.

Or go to radio shack and it cost 4.30

Cheers

Onno
05-03-2006, 07:15 AM

I think it's 20 bucks on OLN, but I'd rather watch the live Italian feed for free, as I did last year. I object to OLN charging extra to watch a crappier version.

wasfast
05-03-2006, 08:39 AM
You can watch RAI on the web via http://www.beelinetv.com. Look on the right side for the Italian channels. I don't know if they are showing the Giro live though.

Hysbrian
05-03-2006, 09:17 AM
Actually, I will be hooking my laptop to my plasma TV and watching it. It shows pretty well. The only problem is he sound. You have to put speakers on the laptop or get an adapter, like the iPod adapter, to connect the laptop to your AV system.

Popcorn anyone?

I second this, best way to go. Cycling.tv plus the oln thing plus a TV = awesome. I don't understand why people complain about not having coverage and then don't take advantage of cycling.tv best 20pounds i ever spent atmo

Onno
05-03-2006, 09:29 AM
I second this, best way to go. Cycling.tv plus the oln thing plus a TV = awesome. I don't understand why people complain about not having coverage and then don't take advantage of cycling.tv best 20pounds i ever spent atmo

Cycling.tv is fine--they give access to stuff that otherwise wouldn't be covered. But OLN offering only a web version of a race they used to show on TV I find obnoxious. I already have to pay extra to get OLN, they make a big deal of carrying cycling (the whole "cyclism" thing), and then instead of carrying the Giro, they show rodeos and fishing.

I guess I'm hoping a general reluctance for people to pay for the webstream might encourage them to show it on TV, though they will probably just read this as lack of interest in cycling.

Headwinds
05-03-2006, 09:54 AM
Cycling.tv is fine--they give access to stuff that otherwise wouldn't be covered. But OLN offering only a web version of a race they used to show on TV I find obnoxious. I already have to pay extra to get OLN, they make a big deal of carrying cycling (the whole "cyclism" thing), and then instead of carrying the Giro, they show rodeos and fishing.

I guess I'm hoping a general reluctance for people to pay for the webstream might encourage them to show it on TV, though they will probably just read this as lack of interest in cycling.

I agree 100% with what you say, man. But it seems that we do not have too many choices here. One of OLN's excuses to charge for this is because they say they do not have a big enough audience for "the other" cycling events. I wrote them a letter complaining. But they said that I have to take what they offer as a pay-per-view thing.

My local cable company sells foreign channels at $10/mo. I have asked them to get European Channels, but so far no go.

But sadly, I said earlier, that the minute Lance retired, this was going to happen. I would not be surprised if they do the same with the Tour in a couple of years.... Where are our past bike champions when you need them?

gone
05-03-2006, 11:59 AM

dbrk
According to my schedule, RAI on Dish will have the Giro, first stage on Saturday at 1:45 PM CST. Looks like they have a preview show on Friday at 10:15 AM CST.

I also much prefer watching the Giro on RAI, the "cyclism" on OLN makes me want to urp and it's amazing how little actual cycling they show ("let's cut away to Chris Carmichael", "let's go to Kirsten Gump for an insight into the local culture" and worst of all "the cutters" in their tour coverage a few years ago.