PDA

View Full Version : Drilling new cleat holes

rpm
05-02-2006, 02:25 PM
So here's my shoe problem: For the past few years my size 48EE feet have been riding happily in Carnacs, but they're now falling apart and I need new shoes. The new Carnacs don't fit, even the wide ones. Sidi Megas fit fine, but the cleat holes are about 1.5 cm forward of those on the Carnacs. If I pedal on them, I feel like I'm too much on my toes and can't get full power to the pedals.

My questions: Has anybody tried drilling new cleat holes in cycling shoes, and if so, how do you thread them?

Too Tall
05-02-2006, 03:46 PM
Have you considered removing the old T-bolt and simply extending the slot? You will have to carefully peel back the insole to get at it. If you do that I'd add a backing plate of some sort to stiffen this area and prevent pull thru. I've modified mtn. shoes like this..never carbon.

1.5 cm diff. is alot to account for. Are yah sure about that?

rpm
05-02-2006, 04:21 PM
Too tall--

Actually, I don't have the Sidi's. The 1.5 might well be an exaggeration--it could be more like 1. I didn't have a ruler handy when I measured in the store. Last year, I did try a pair on the bike, and definitely noticed that my foot was forward from where I like.

Anyway, I'm not sure how to enlarge the slots. On the millenium sole it looks like the back two Look cleat holes are holes, not slots.

alancw3
05-02-2006, 04:23 PM
you didn't mention what pedals you use. i would certainly try to approach the problem by trying to lengthen the cleat for/aft first. also i have heard that some pedal manufacturers have adapters or special cleats available for people who have an unconventional cleat placement. i would explore that option too. good luck!

rpm
05-02-2006, 08:52 PM
Guys, I now get what you're saying. I went to a shop and looked at some shoes tonight and now I understand how the cleats are attached, and yes, enlarging the holes would be a better idea than trying to drill new ones. And since I use Look cleats, working on the plastic cleats might be possible, too.

I measured some more 48's and it looks like the Carnac is the outlier. From the center of the top hole to the end of the shoe was 8.5 cm for a Pearl Izumi Vortex and a Specialized Carbon Comp, compared to 9.7 for the Carnacs. The Specializeds were a nice fit, too, but I really like the aft cleat position on the Carnacs. It's worked well me for the past few years, so I'm loathe to change it. Maybe I'll just keep my eye on e-bay for awhile to see if I can score more big old ones.

SoCalSteve
05-02-2006, 09:20 PM
Guys, I now get what you're saying. I went to a shop and looked at some shoes tonight and now I understand how the cleats are attached, and yes, enlarging the holes would be a better idea than trying to drill new ones. And since I use Look cleats, working on the plastic cleats might be possible, too.

I measured some more 48's and it looks like the Carnac is the outlier. From the center of the top hole to the end of the shoe was 8.5 cm for a Pearl Izumi Vortex and a Specialized Carbon Comp, compared to 9.7 for the Carnacs. The Specializeds were a nice fit, too, but I really like the aft cleat position on the Carnacs. It's worked well me for the past few years, so I'm loathe to change it. Maybe I'll just keep my eye on e-bay for awhile to see if I can score more big old ones.

Eventually everything pops up on ebay, if you are patient enough...

They have a "Favorite" section....Do you know about this and how to use it? If not, PM me and I'll talk you through it.

Steve

PS: I bought a great Hors Cat and a NOS Trek Y-Foil on ebay...Just a couple of many great purchases.

jerk
05-02-2006, 09:55 PM
Eventually everything pops up on ebay, if you are patient enough...

They have a "Favorite" section....Do you know about this and how to use it? If not, PM me and I'll talk you through it.

Steve

PS: I bought a great Hors Cat and a NOS Trek Y-Foil on ebay...Just a couple of many great purchases.

the jerk bought mrs. jerk on ebay. that's why his feedback is so bad.

jerk

rpm
05-02-2006, 10:05 PM

Steve

Hey, thanks Steve. I'm an ebay neophyte. I'll see if I can figure it out before I pm you. I see there's a pair of 47 Quartzes there tonight from somebody in my area. Close, but not quite.

classic1
05-02-2006, 10:11 PM
My questions: Has anybody tried drilling new cleat holes in cycling shoes, and if so, how do you thread them?

I have. Drill right through the sole then use some anchors. You might be able to get the anchors from a sports store or a boot maker. The screws used to screw in cycling cleats are the same thread used for 'screw in' cleats on football boots. Golf ones may also work, though I'm not entirely certain if they are the same thread. Another alternative is to scrounge some of the anchors that come with SPD pedals or shoes.

SoCalSteve
05-02-2006, 11:45 PM
the jerk bought mrs. jerk on ebay. that's why his feedback is so bad.

jerk

Was she a "Buy it Now"? Or were their many potential Mr Jerk's bidding on her and you just happened to outbid all the others?

Steve

Too Tall
05-03-2006, 06:42 AM
Use a set of dividers to transfer cleat reference point to the inside of the shoe and THAN measure back to the inside of the heel cup....there are toooo many way mfg's make shoes to account for the length if measured from the outside. Gots to compare apples to apples.
PS - a dremel tool will do the job.

stevep
05-03-2006, 08:06 AM
Was she a "Buy it Now"? Or were their many potential Mr Jerk's bidding on her and you just happened to outbid all the others?

Steve

the jerk was the last one to pull out of the auction and therefore the winner.