PDA

View Full Version : Glasses ??

mfb1001
12-17-2003, 11:06 AM
Anybody out there using prescription glasses? Is it better to get the type that you drop the lens in or get the actual prescription glasses themselves? I've seen both type. Seems like the ones that you drop the lens in you can change out the outer lens based on what the day looks like. Thanks.

mike

dave thompson
12-17-2003, 11:12 AM
I use Bolle Vigilantes and Super Micro. I like the ability to change lenses for the various conditions that I ride in. I also like the 'wraparound' protection the lenses afford.

I would think prescription glasses with a fixed lens would limit when you can use them (bright day, dark evenings) and would require several set of glasses.

keno
12-17-2003, 11:18 AM
I have Rudy Project glasses. I bought the insert frame and put lenses in, all to the tune of about $175. I tried to use them but nearly puked. The curvatures made my visual world move in very uncomfortable ways. My eyesight is not so bad that I can't ride without glasses. Sometimes the bike computer is hard to read.

Now I know some who have not had such problems with inserts.

If I absolutely had to have corrective lenses, I would look into prescription lenses, if available. It would run into real money, though.

keno

flydhest
12-17-2003, 11:23 AM
The Doctor has Oakley A frames that are prescription. The ability to change lenses from light to dark seems great and she does not have this option. I currently ride with contact lenses and standard sunglasses or ride with my prescription (clear) glasses.

The Oakleys were not, as I recall, astoundingly expensive, something like Oakleys plus $100.

eddief
12-17-2003, 11:31 AM
I have lately been using Rudy RB3 flip ups with the prescription insert. My goal was to have vision in the sun and low light conditions too. I wanted to be able to get off my bike and see the prices on the stuff at my favorite bakery. For the most part these glasses work great for me. There is a bit of discomfort /distorsion when looking hard right or left due to the insert/outer flipup edge interface. My rear view mirror is also in that view on the left side. But I love being able to see clearly straight ahead and to the side too in all light conditions.

victoryfactory
12-17-2003, 11:49 AM
I highly recommend in-spex.com They can put your prescription in several trendy brands. MUCH better than inserts
VF

Bruce K
12-17-2003, 11:55 AM
I use the Rudy Project Rydons and like them alot. I also have an older pair of Kerosenes that are OK, but the Rydons are lighter, give better coverage, and the earpiece is a bit more "Oakley-like".

I have used the Oakley M-frame prescription glasses. My problem with them is cost - about $350 each - and the fact they ALL of mine have had the lenses fatigue and crack over time. Also, there is no way to upgrade/change your prescription.

With the Rudys you can redo your prescription in their insert and you don't have to buy a whole new set.

Rudys also allow you to buy alternate color lenses for their frames that use replaceables for about $40 each.

BK

mavic1010
12-17-2003, 12:31 PM
I was looking at the Oakley Prescription option since I do not "tear" enough to wear contacts. For me, since I prefer the M-frame's, was around $200 for the Iridium lens and $180 for the non. Since I need a clear lens and of course for the sunny days the iridium, it was a pricey option..I still haven't done it, and since my eyes are not that bad, I just ride with my sunglasses. I'm sure Bob and Tom will start riding farther away from me now.

Plus my biggest worry is if my prescription changes, I need to update the glasses as well...maybe lasik is the cheaper alternative?

any thoughts on that???

why is it that the people that do lasik where glasses??????????

mfb1001
12-17-2003, 12:46 PM
Thanks for the replys. I normally ware a pair of old Rx's and they seem to work fine. I did the Rural Ride Around Charleston (SC) a few weeks back and by the time I got back I could hardly see, even with my good glasses on. The wind did a # on my eyes, probably wouldn't have had the problem with some wrap arounds. Need the bi-focal type, have to beable to read the computer and map, & then see where I'm going. I think I will look into the type you just drop your lens into. Seems like they would be more versitle. Thanks for the help.

Larry D
12-17-2003, 02:21 PM
I have Oakley M Frames which I absolutely love. The problem is the cost odf the prescription lenses from Oakley. I have recently found an Optometrist who has been able to make an prescription adapter using a setup from Bolle, not the one for the Parole or Vigillantes, but one that replaces the nose piece, to add a prescription lens behind the Oakley lens. I will be picking up my adapter on Friday to see how it works.
I also have a set of Rudy Project Rydons which are nice, but I prefer the Oakleys.:cool:

The Doctor
12-17-2003, 03:32 PM
I really like my Oakley sunglasses with prescription lenses. It is a somewhat pricy option and if your eye-sight is likely to change soon or often I don't think this is a good alternative. I have a lot of problems to find frames that fit my face since most of them are either too wide or doesn't stay up on my nose and am very happy to have found this frame.

The Doctor

kelmeboyAZ
12-17-2003, 03:44 PM
I have used Rudy Project Kerosenes with prescription insert. I have two pairs and several interchangeable lense colors. I wear the Titanium frame with Laser Red lenses the most but in July in AZ I opt for the darker Laser Blue lenses. With a bad prescription, myopia and astignatism, they took a little getting used to. They have increased my riding pleasure significantly, look cool too! Have not tried the RP Rydons touted above.

jimh
12-17-2003, 04:26 PM
Keno:

We handle the Rudy's in our practice. Email me your prescription and maybe we can figure out how to make them better. If you can take tylenol take one prior to putting your rudy's about 15 minutes prior. Sometimes this make the change in Optics easier.

Jimh

MadRocketSci
12-17-2003, 04:28 PM
I had Oakley put in prescription lenses to an Oakley frame I already had. The cost was about $165 for basic gray lenses, single prescription, light astigmatism. They work great, and there's no issues with peripheral vision. Sharp all the way to the edge of sight. I think there's a limit to how strong your prescription can be...it might be around -4.0, but don't quote me on that :)

I haven't really felt the need for other lens tints. I've used the gray for shady rides and climbing Mt. Shasta. I carry my regular glasses in my jersey pocket for rides that get back late.

TmcDet
12-17-2003, 04:51 PM
I have been fighting with this issue too. I like Keno don't have to have my prescription to ride but reading the computer can be difficult and reading the heart rate is just out of the question. I actually bought a pair of Bolle's that can except the inserts thinking that I would get the inserts later. For the moment I am wearing the Bolle's as they are and not using the heart rate monitor.

JEK
12-17-2003, 05:12 PM
I have a pair of Oakleys, use them for cycling, running and skiing (if its not snowing), I just figure if it's looking dark through the lenses (prescription) I should be home instead of riding around metropolitan Atlanta.

jimh
12-17-2003, 05:21 PM
There are stick on bifocals that you get to put into the corner of your sunglasses. These may help restore the use of your heart rate monitor.

jimh

Big Jim
12-17-2003, 05:36 PM
I too am in the market for sunglasses, I was hit by a car in October and that took care of my old pair. I am thinking of trying transistion lenses, that change darkness with the conditions. I don't care for inserts and would like them directly in the frame. Has anyone tried this? I'm also not sure if transistion lenses can be used in a wrap style frame...I looked at the Nike Skylon and liked it compared to Oakley.
Big Jim

jimh
12-17-2003, 05:39 PM
Transitions will work well. You want the new generation with a glare free coating. The base curve should not exceed a 6 base 8 may work. good luck

jimh

Birddog
12-17-2003, 08:42 PM
I've been using Bolle's with the RX insert for about 6 years. Currently, I'm using Vigilantes. Mine came with four lenses but I only use two; rose colored for overcast or "flat light", and cinnamon for sunny. The rose work on those days that are between. I also use them when skiing, which is about 21 days a year. I had them put in the old time bi-focal window in mine, (cheaper) and they work good. I'm about to get a new prescription, and I might get Rudy's and go for the no-line bifocal.

Birddog junior member (probation)

TmcDet
12-18-2003, 05:08 PM
thanks for the info on the stick on bifocals, they look like the solution to my problem

:bike:

Rich_W
12-19-2003, 08:15 AM
I went through several combinations with Rx glasses and Riding... here is my take...

Any double-lens system sucks... they all fog... meaning any insert that goes on the inside. Ride them on a steamy day, and you are miserable.

The only thing I found to work is the Oakley Rx M-Frame. They're expensive... but you are comfortable in all conditions. I have 3 pair of Pro-M's in RX, Clear, Persimmon?, and black irridium.

BUT... the revelation was... :banana: when I finally went to contact lenses for sports. I prefer glasses for every day, but contacts for riding I find the best yet. Plus, I can take off my oakleys and stick them in my helmet if I need to. When riding anything RX, you're stuck with them on all the time.

Of course not everyone is a candidate... but even if you can tolerate them *close* like I do, I find them the best for riding.