PDA

View Full Version : DT rims anybody?

Headwinds
05-02-2006, 12:02 PM
When I think of rims, I am acustomed to hear good things about Mavic, Fir, and Ambrosio. But not much about DT other than spokes.

Do any of you use DT rims? What other rims do you recommend for daily riding in normal riding conditions.

I am contemplating on getting a set of 28 spoke wheels with DT rims, but I'd like to hear what the "Serotta Oracle" says....

bironi
05-02-2006, 12:08 PM
My two regular riding partners had wheel built with DT rims. Both are very happy with the wheels. One went with DT hubs also, the other with DuraAce. Both went with 28 spoke rears, and had the local builder tie and solder the spokes. Both weigh 160 lbs.

Byron

LegendRider
05-02-2006, 12:14 PM
I have a set of DT R1.1 rims. They are very similar to Mavic Open Pros - I went with them because my previous OPs had the dreaded click and I figured the DTs would be safe from that. I can't feel a difference - they weight about the same (400+ grams). They look nice and I like the braking surface.

Serotta PETE
05-02-2006, 12:17 PM
I am very happy with them. The hubs are also very good. Mr. e-Richie turned me and Spokes onto them via joe young build. Very nice build/

Geoff
05-02-2006, 12:33 PM
I have 2 sets fo T rims, spokes, hubs from Joe Young. They are great. He recommends them over about any other clincher rim. I belive this is based mainly on seem quality and roundness.

To me they are much better than K's.

I wiegh 180 and mine are 28 2X front and 32 3X rear.

quattro
05-02-2006, 12:58 PM
I have a pair of Joe Young built wheels using DT RR 1.1 rims, Hugi 240s hubs and DT Super Comp spokes, 28F x 32R. I think these wheels are wonderful, they weigh about 1550g and Joe Youngs build is still straight and true after two years of riding.

Fixed
05-02-2006, 02:36 PM
bro my hero r.s. likes them and that 's good enough for me
cheers

davids
05-02-2006, 02:38 PM
I'm very happy with mine, part of a set made by Odds'n'Endos that's mostly DT Swiss: http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=9712

Lots of folks here have 'em and like 'em.

raven
05-02-2006, 03:16 PM
I suppose the reason why you haven't heard much about DT rims is the fact that they haven't been around as long as the other brands. Personally, I haven't used them, but all the brands mentioned (including DT) are quite good.

There are times however when a rim is manufactured, where the extrusion/die is no longer within tolerance, producing a rim that is not quite as round as “earlier” batches. That’s what quality control is for.

If you're wondering if DT's are strong enough, that really depends on your weight, riding "style", # of spokes and the builders level of skill.

ergott
05-02-2006, 03:43 PM
DT rims are real nice. Right now, my supplier has the newer model 1.1 in 32 hole which now has double eyelets. This is a nice feature and makes them even more like the OP they compete with. The weight is supposed to be the same. The most recent batches of 28 holes weren't open yet, but he doesn't think they are double eyeleted. I assume they are on their way too. On an aside, I'm still hearing June for the 1.2 rims, maybe even a tubular rim within a year. :banana:

fmbp
05-02-2006, 04:31 PM
I'll echo the above posts. I have DT RR 1.1 rims on my bike, 32 hole, 3X, Revolution spokes (except drive side rear wheel), Chorus hubs. I've had no problems with them.

SoCalSteve
05-02-2006, 06:38 PM
3 sets of DT R 1.1's with no problems at all.

All with DT spokes and one set with DT hubs.

The other two sets have Phil Woods hubs and White Industry hubs.All good stuff!

Good luck!

Steve

PS: and I'm a big guy. 6' 5" tall and around 245 lbs.

Karbon
05-02-2006, 07:42 PM
DT rims are real nice. Right now, my supplier has the newer model 1.1 in 32 hole which now has double eyelets. This is a nice feature and makes them even more like the OP they compete with. The weight is supposed to be the same. The most recent batches of 28 holes weren't open yet, but he doesn't think they are double eyeleted. I assumne they are on theri way too. On an aside, I'm still hearing June for the 1.2 rims, maybe even a tubular rim within a year. :banana:

Troy@Ligero posted recently on WW that double eyelet R1.1 rims are 471gm! So the weight isn't the same. Apparently there will be no more single eyelet 32h R1.1's because of cracking issues.

I think the Ambrosio Excellight is THE double eyelet, relatively lightweight @420gm clincher rim. The Alex R3.1/3.2 at 370/420gm being the best vee section lightweight clincher rim with offset rear.

There are 440gm 30mm clincher rims down to 16h and 380/420gm machined braking surface nice tubular rims down to 20h now, why wait for a 520gm rim, let alone tubular rims which may not even appear???

ergott
05-02-2006, 09:48 PM
Troy@Ligero posted recently on WW that double eyelet R1.1 rims are 471gm! So the weight isn't the same. Apparently there will be no more single eyelet 32h R1.1's because of cracking issues.

I guess "supposed to" covers a lot of ground these days. I was told that they used less material elsewhere to bring the weight down. Hopefully that weight is for early runs and they can get that weight down. 471 is not a deal killer IMHO.

jerk
05-02-2006, 09:57 PM
dt swiss 1.1s arew fine. they're lighter than open pros but alot softer at least that was the jerk's feeling having built several sets. they build a nice, compotent wheel....but they are softer than open pros.

jerk

LegendRider
05-03-2006, 07:41 AM
dt swiss 1.1s arew fine. they're lighter than open pros but alot softer at least that was the jerk's feeling having built several sets. they build a nice, compotent wheel....but they are softer than open pros.

jerk

That's interesting. I thought mine were softer than OPs too, but I attributed it to running lower pressure.

531Aussie
05-03-2006, 09:53 AM
dt swiss 1.1s arew fine. they're lighter than open pros but alot softer at least that was the jerk's feeling having built several sets. they build a nice, compotent wheel....but they are softer than open pros.this is also what me and my bike shop guy think. Every time I saw him building some, he'd say, "these bloody rims are soft".

I had a pair but didn't like the rear, coz I found it too flexy, but I'm used to rear CXP30s, and I'm a 195lb masher. :) I seem to be in a minority both here and on "the other forum" :p

I got rid of them, but they're nice and light, well made, and they look fantastic! http://www.musicianforums.com/forums/images/smilies/thumb.gif