PDA

View Full Version : OT: Chef's knife

p nut
07-06-2015, 09:18 PM
Our knives are on the verge of being thrown out. My wife had a go with a Shun knife at my folks and she's yearning for one. Just curious what the consensus is on Shun knives. Other suggestions are welcome.

Basically looking for a knife for house use. Just one general use knife or maybe a paring knife set as well. Was looking at these two.

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/shun-classic-asian-chefs-knife/?pkey=ccutlery-chef-knives%7C%7C4294966604&group=1&sku=3808417&cm_src=cutlery-chef-knives%7C%7CFN-Brand-_-FN-Shun-_--_-

http://www.cutleryandmore.com/shun-classic/kiritsuke-knife-p130553

RyanH
07-06-2015, 09:28 PM
I cook six days a week and can usually eek out meals on par with top rated restaurants in LA. Although the Shun are beautiful, they are high maintenance and are more prone to chipping. I would highly recommend Global knives. They will hold their edge for a lot longer (months vs days) and their single piece construction makes them carefree. I've had my Chef's knife for 5 years now while I've bought and gotten rid of a handful of Shun, Chroma, Wusthof and Ken Onion knives.

Get the 8" or 10":

http://www.cutleryandmore.com/global/chefs-knife-p114589

rnhood
07-06-2015, 09:29 PM
Nothing better imho. A little expensive tho.

http://chrisreeve.com/Sikayo

bikinchris
07-06-2015, 09:48 PM
Go to a real restaurant supply store and get a good steel to sharpen a knife and a Zwilling, Wusthof or Victorinox chef knife. Good steel that sharpens well and holds an edge for a decent amount of time.

SlackMan
07-06-2015, 09:49 PM
The Cooks Illustrated (America's Test Kitchen) recommended chef knife is the Victorinox Forschner Fibrox. At only about $45 for the 8" chef's, it is a screaming bargain. I have used it for over 15 years (regularly heavy use), and have returned more expensive knives I've tried in the interim. F-I-L has a Shun I tried too and was not a convert.

It's not sexy, but it works wonderfully and I don't hesitate to put it in dishwasher after cutting up a chicken.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000638D32/ref=psdc_289857_t1_B008NDY7KA

Avincent52
07-06-2015, 09:52 PM
Get this one:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51ujNZWlO8L._SX522_.jpg

The Shun Classic 5.5 inch Santoku.

Just an absolutely perfect do-it-all knife. The Damascus steel is unbelievably sharp, but what's really amazing is the balance. The asymmetrical handle feels like an extension of your hand, and is perfect for slicing, chopping and any kind of precision cutting.

The context: I'm a serious chef and I've got a full knife block, with Wustoff and Henckels, and four higher-end Shuns. I love the other Shuns, but if I had one knife for everything, this 5.5 inch Shun Classic Santoku would be it. A friend bought one for his professional chef wife and she loves it as much as I do.

I've bought four of the Shun 5.5s--two for my kids for their 13th birthdays, and two more formy brother and my niece for their own landmark birthdays.

Then as now, the larger 7-inch was on sale and cheaper than the 5.5 at that point, but when I went to my local Williams Sonoma, it was clear the 5.5 was the winner.

BTW if you've got Amex Membership Rewards, you can use the points to get Williams Sonoma gift cards and get the Shun cheap or even free.

The Shun is a precision instrument. You can't let it rattle around in a drawer or use it to cut through chicken bones like a cleaver. But with modest care, it'll last, well, forever. (That's why I bought them for my kids--I expect they'll have them forever.) You can buy an inexpensive ceramic "steel" to hone it, but honestly my knife really doesn't need a lot of attention.
I've had the oldest one for more than five years, and hasn't needed anything besides "maintenance" sharpening to maintain its razor sharpness.

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/shun-classic-hollow-ground-5in-santoku-knife/?pkey=cshun-classic||&cm_src=shun-classic||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_--_-http://

And then go and buy a Kuhn Rikon paring knife for $10. Paring knifes are really for peeling and certain kinds of fine work, and the quality of the blade isn't quite as important.
I've got one of these on the block and I use it as often as my Wusthof which was eight times the price or something. A nice utility piece that you don't have to worry about.

http://www.amazon.com/Kuhn-Rikon-4-Inch-Nonstick-Colori/dp/B000GZDY6Q

The third knife would be a medium large serrated knife for cutting bread and the like. Again, get something cheap.

With a great foundation knife like the Shun and a modest paring and serrated knives for those special uses, for $150 you'll have a set that will function better than any "set" that people buy as wedding presents. Buy the Shun.

kurto
07-06-2015, 09:53 PM
I've used a Shun chef's knife nearly every day for the last six years, and it's held up great. I've had it sharpened locally three times (never sent it in for the free service), and it holds the edge. I love the way the handle fits, and I don't think it's high maintenance at all. I've also got a paring and a carving knife that are perfect. I can't recommend Shun more highly. I also got my mother-in-law a little 6-inch chef's a couple Christmases ago, and it's become her daily driver too. Go for the Shun. You won't regret it, and if by chance you do, their warranty and service are supposedly top-notch.

FlashUNC
07-06-2015, 09:55 PM
We've got two Shun knives. One did get some chipping from admittedly me being an idiot in handling it while cleaning.

But they've been excellent knives. And I still have all my fingers.

Brainbike
07-06-2015, 09:59 PM
I have Globals as well. Love them, although plenty of people have an affinity to wooden handles/German metal. Globals are easy to maintain and their sharpness is quite durable...

bobswire
07-06-2015, 10:02 PM
Mercer Renaissance 7" Santoku Knife, German engineered made to spec in Taiwan. Check out the reviews. Love mine and may I add an excellent vegetarian cook. :)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002AH0LEG?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00

RyanH
07-06-2015, 10:06 PM
I should add, that just like shopping for a new bike frame, you should really try them. Sur la Table is great since they have food you can chop and demo on. They carry both Shun and Global.

pbarry
07-06-2015, 10:06 PM
Partial to Sabatier knives here. Great balance, old world craftsmanship and styling. Thinner/lighter than the German knives, similar to the better Japanese knives, with a slightly fore weighted balance. All.mine are old carbon models, but the new stainless are every bit as good.

Get a good whetstone and learn how to use it properly; part of the cooking and creative process.

stackie
07-06-2015, 10:28 PM
Most of what I would say has been said.

Shun knives are great. You will need to sharpen. Get a two sided stone and learn to use. not that hard.

Get the ones that you like feel of. Think of what you use now.

I think the free sharpening is no more. As above get stone.

Jon

eddief
07-06-2015, 10:42 PM
but my kitchen works well with Henckels. I own the Chef and the Paring. I kinda like the riveted handles too. This seems like a fine deal with 3 knives including Santoku for $143.

http://www.amazon.com/HENCKELS-INTERNATIONAL-Classic-8-inch-Chefs/dp/B00004RFMT/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1436240445&sr=8-1&keywords=henkel+8+inch+chef+knife&pebp=1436240448906&perid=0DTYCPQFYD23G0ZMFRQ2

giordana93
07-06-2015, 10:45 PM
There are any number of good choices, but I think it is almost like asking what is the best bike, or saddle, as in ymmv, so the best answer will depend on what you like in blade shape (euro chef vs japanese chef vs santoku, for example), weight (some like heavier, some more nimble), and handle size (for big hands or small) with round, ergo, or traditional flat shape; and what kind of maintenance you are most likely to perform ( both clean up and honing/sharpening). Ask yourself what it was about the Shun that pleased you and go from there. You really can't go wrong with top Japanese or German or Swiss steels, just find the best fit for you. Like visiting a bike shop, handling a few models in person can give you a better idea of what you like. And if you don't plan to keep up on maintenance and good care, just go for the victorinox, best budget option. fwiw I like Wusthof Classic 8" chef but would no doubt get used to a nice Japanese Santoku in a couple of uses, but I'm a guy with average to large hands. My wife hates my 8" chef, so go figure

onomic
07-06-2015, 10:46 PM
My wife and I recieved a set of ken onion shun knives for our wedding. We love them!! It is a fine blade and can be hard to find someone locally who can properly sharpen them but they offer free sharpening service, you just have to mail them in. Ours went approx five years before we felt they needed any service, but I'm slightly crazy about their care, I always hand wash, dry them, and store them the wood block. I would highly recommend them.

eddief
07-06-2015, 11:00 PM
is rather fond of his elcheapo Chicago cutlery. Nothing fancy, but blades sharpen well and seem to stay that way pretty well:

http://www.amazon.com/Chicago-Cutlery-Essentials-8-Inch-Knife/dp/B004TFDEPK/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1436241560&sr=1-1&keywords=chicago+cutlery+8&pebp=1436241563681&perid=07YE7M9ACYHA81DDE69A

Avincent52
07-06-2015, 11:06 PM
First thing: The two knives you point out are primarily "slicing" knives. It's a perfect thing for slicing a paper thin piece of fish for sashimi, but not great for chopping, which is the major part of cooking prep for me and most western chefs. I'd love either of those knives, but I've already got a half dozen "chopping" knives in my block.
Great knives, but quite specialized.
(It's like someone pointing to a cyclocross bike as their first set of wheels.)

A santoku or a chef's knife will be great at slicing and chopping.

As far as Wusthoff/Henckels vs Shun: There's really a distinct Japanese/German division in the chef's knife world.
German blades have a less steep cutting angle, and they tend to be heavier and feel more substantial in the hand. It's a nice feel--I still keep a big ol Wustoff in the block.
The Japanese knives have a steeper edge geometry, harder steel, and generally tend to be somewhat lighter and more nimble.

There's no better or worse, but it's like the difference between, say, a touring frame and a racing frame.

But the point is that your wife used the Shun pretty extensively and she really liked it. You could write a relationship book based on this premise: "If she likes it, buy it for her."
As much as I like the 5.5 Santoku, I would literally buy the exact same Shunthat she liked, unless she liked it with some qualifications. "It was great but it felt a little bit too long/short, heavy/light, whatever"

benito
07-07-2015, 02:49 AM
knife nerds coming out the woodwork!

OK, for a home cook I recommend (something along the lines of) softer german stainless chef knives. if it's for you AND your wife, you gotta pick it up make sure the handles work for both of you. have it initially sharpened, re-edged by a pro, and have him show you the angles (probably 15) you will need to recreate in order to hone your edge properly.

an 8-9 inch chef knife does most things well enough.

mercer, victorinox, all solid options. vintage carbon sabatier: the bees knees. even the really (really) old german knives are really cool.

with softer german steel you can do all your sharpening and maintenance with a 1000 stone; easy peasy. also, be rather picky about your steel (most do more harm than good)an learn to do it right (quit waving that thing around).

http://www.harnerknives.com/wp-content/gallery/1/dsc04862sm.jpg

i do all my mise en place with a tuna sword

maxn
07-07-2015, 03:52 AM
Shun are good. I like MAC too. My very favorite of all my knives is a Takeda though. I've bought several kinives from this guy, and service is excellent. It's a beautiful web site too, but dangerous for knife-aholics.

http://www.chuboknives.com/

+1 on getting sharpening stones.

benito
07-07-2015, 04:39 AM
takedas are the best.

i have a richmond ultimatum in swedish semi stainless flavor.

minor pita to sharpen but it does most things pretty well. (shapton glass,1K-4K-9K, ceramic rod for touch ups.)

New Yorker article on Bob Kramer (http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2008/11/24/sharper)

Cicli
07-07-2015, 04:49 AM
We have a set of Cutco knives in the house. They are very good.

Likes2ridefar
07-07-2015, 06:55 AM
I've had a full set of shun classic knives for maybe 10 years.

I think they are OK and I dont really think about them...just use them. They do look neat.

The small knives are very delicate and the tips snap easy.

Late last summer I bought an F Dick 1905 chef knife since our shun knives are in temporary storage, and I find it to be a much better knife than the shun chef and it's also somewhat cheaper.

It is much more solid feeling in use, and holds it's edge longer.

DRZRM
07-07-2015, 07:39 AM
I have more knives than I need, mostly Shun Classics, but some German (Henkel) and a US (Lamson). I love my Shun 10" chef knife, its really all I need and it gets used multiple times a day. Ok I also need a cleaver, fillet/fish and a paring knife. I think with those four I would be totally fine. I also have a German 8" chef for my wife to use, she finds the 10" unwieldy, and she is less careful with knives than I like. Those Henkels are tough.

It is certainly worth it to learn to use whetstones and keep your own knives sharp. The Shuns, if used and stored carefully, hold an edge very nicely, I sharpen them as necessary, around twice a year and hone them regularly with a Shun iron. They can chip more easily than German knifes, but if you are regularly chipping your blades, you are doing something wrong (dishwasher, tossing them in a sink with other dishes?).

Chefrider
07-07-2015, 07:42 AM
I am a pro chef and the global vegetable knife is my do all! One piece construction, keeps an edge, can take a fall, great in dishwasher (if you must). Worth the price. Cheers.

Likes2ridefar
07-07-2015, 07:42 AM
They can chip more easily than German knifes, but if you are regularly chipping your blades, you are doing something wrong (dishwasher, tossing them in a sink with other dishes?).

is dropping them doing something wrong? :rolleyes:

my parents dishwasher their shun knives and the wood looks like crap after a few years. rust spots on a few as well. mine are probably 6-7 years older and look pretty much the same the day i bought them (besides the chips on two tips)

CDollarsign
07-07-2015, 07:44 AM
Global knives feel way too light. I would pick up a Wusthof set and then add to it as you see fit. I added at santoku and boning knife and have more than enough cutlery for all my culinary pursuits.

tlittlefield
07-07-2015, 07:50 AM
Had a set of Henckels that I used for 25 plus years. About two years ago had a life changing experience (divorce) so was time for new knives.

Bought my first Shun and never looked back, now have six of varying sizes and capabilities. These are far superior to the Henckles, better steel, workmanship and balance.

Every so often Williams Sonoma has sales on the various knives, sometimes at 60% off of list.

Chefrider
07-07-2015, 08:09 AM
Dropping them is a byproduct of a busy kitchen. Ha. I have Wusthof Grand Prix's as well. I prefer the steel on the global. Ooooorrrr, treat yourself to Hattori (yes Kill Bill) Damascus steel folded santoku or chef knife. Much more expensive but it's the Pegoretti of knives. You'll find yourself staring .

Avincent52
07-07-2015, 08:22 AM
Do you see what's happening here?
The OP and his wife are the equivalent of someone who had been riding their 10-speed from college with a flat and a rusty chain.
They borrow something nice like a Specialized Roubaix or a Cannondale CAAD and they go "wow."
And now we're telling them about made-to-measure titanium, and 13 pound climbing bikes, and Richard Sachs, and then we start debating Campy vs Dura Ace and tubulars vs clinchers.
The Shun may not be the absolute best knife in the world--if there is such a thing--but buying one decent knife and taking decent care of it will make a huge difference for P-nut and his wife.
Maybe it'll stop with one knife, or maybe it will be a gateway drug....(N+1. Or not)

tlittlefield
07-07-2015, 08:40 AM
And never, ever put good knives in the dishwasher. Always hand wash and dry immediately after every use.

Also if you can store them on a magnetic knife bar on the wall. Using a block you are dulling the blade every time you insert and take it out of the block.

jr59
07-07-2015, 09:27 AM
Dropping them is a byproduct of a busy kitchen. Ha. I have Wusthof Grand Prix's as well. I prefer the steel on the global. Ooooorrrr, treat yourself to Hattori (yes Kill Bill) Damascus steel folded santoku or chef knife. Much more expensive but it's the Pegoretti of knives. You'll find yourself staring .

Just what I need...lol....a Pegoretti of kitchen knives. :roll eyes:

But the Damascus does look so good.

p nut
07-07-2015, 09:33 AM
Wow, such great responses. Just what I expected here. Thank you all so much. We're heading to W&S and Sur La Table this week to test out a few knives. Thanks again.

shamsixnine
07-07-2015, 09:54 AM
If you want a fancy shmancy knife because you like the look or feel, then go for it. However, if you really want the best knife, its no nonsense and gets the job done probably as good, and most likely better than the more expensive knives, then this is it:
http://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Fibrox-8-Inch-47520-5-2063-20/dp/B000638D32/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&qid=1432663630&sr=8-1&keywords=victorinox+knife&linkCode=sl1&tag=atkyoutube-20&linkId=I2S44OXBTVPRJA4H

makoti
07-07-2015, 10:09 AM
Go to a real restaurant supply store and get a good steel to sharpen a knife and a Zwilling, Wusthof or Victorinox chef knife. Good steel that sharpens well and holds an edge for a decent amount of time.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but a steel does not sharpen a knife, it restores it temporarily. Use will roll the edge of the knife, dulling it. Using a steel will straighten the edge so it seems sharper. You need to use a stone, or grinder of some sort to actually sharpen the knife.

jmoore
07-07-2015, 10:13 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but a steel does not sharpen a knife, it restores it temporarily. Use will roll the edge of the knife, dulling it. Using a steel will straighten the edge so it seems sharper. You need to use a stone, or grinder of some sort to actually sharpen the knife.

This may be blasphemy to knife geeks, but I use a $9 Accusharp on all my kitchen knives (Wustoff Classics). It does a good job of keeping the knives plenty sharp. Probably not hair shaving sharp, but plenty sharp enough for the way we use our knives. We got them in 2001 and they are still going strong.

PeregrineA1
07-07-2015, 11:06 AM
We use Global in the kitchen, Victorinox on the boat, and Dexter Russell for camping.

The Global's are great. Comfortable, hold an edge nicely, good looking too-if that counts (and it does).

The Victorinox are very nice fillet knives and the handles grip well when wet and or slimy.

Dexter Russell take a nice edge and are inexpensive, so the camping box wear and tear is less painful on the pocket.

We have various German knives and they are back-up in the kitchen, but after going to Global do not see much use. Also have a collection of custom knives for various uses, but they do not see day to day use, mostly carry and display. Yet another wallet draining habit....

Ozz
07-07-2015, 12:04 PM
Do a search on knives and you will find some pretty detailed discussions on knives...

I have a set of Henckels 4-Star that are going on 30 yrs....received a Santoku as a college graduation gift, and filled out he set from there. My "go to" knife is the 8" chefs.

I picked up a Shun Ken Onion 8" chefs' knife about 8 yrs ago...wonderful knife, sharp, holds a great edge and very comfortable to work with. Better for slicing than chopping as the edge is curved.

I also have a Shun Bob Kramer 8" chef's knife...beautiful, great edge, comfortable handle, but unfortunately, the blade is too wide to fit in my knife block, so it typically sits in it's box in the drawer....I really need to get a new knife block.

I've never had an issue with "chips" on any of my Shun knives....Ken Onion and Shun parted ways a few years back, but I am a big fan of his knives and their products....I have a ZT folder as well.

Try a few, see what feels comfortable, and go with that one. Also, get a good steel to keep the edge honed. My knives only need to be sharpened about once per year, but I hone them every time I use them. Shun / Kershaw also has a free sharpening service as well. (http://shun.kaiusaltd.com/warranty)

Have fun shopping!

P.S. - A friend of mine has the Victorinix Fibrox Chef knife....it is a good knife, sharp and the blade has good shape, but to me it just seems bland...plastic handle, relatively thin blade....it's the Toyota Camry of knives..IMHO.

EPIC! Stratton
07-07-2015, 12:14 PM
I've got some of the Shun knives (wedding gift) and love them. Just be sure to take care of your knives.

classtimesailer
07-07-2015, 12:19 PM
You will need to be careful with any nice Japanese knife. Don't let visitors use it. If you will only have one all purpose knife in the drawer, you don't want anything nicer than a standard German steel knife or a Chicago Cultlery or Dexter Russel.

Joel
07-07-2015, 12:36 PM
+1 to what chefrider said.

Global vegetable knife.

Commercial kitchen battle-horse.

Think about like that tight crit bike that is not so expensive you don't mind racing it hard and if something happens to it - it's not the end of the world. But is it so bullet proof nothing ever really seems to happen to it.

From another guy who has been around restaurants professionally.

staggerwing
07-07-2015, 12:43 PM
The Victorinox knifes are fine everyday choices, and often be found in working kitchens and butcher shops. There are better, but not for the price. They are ground from thin stamped steel, which can be taken as inferior to forged, but it is excellent quality steel which has been properly heat treated. The molded fibrox handles are very comfortable, and non-slip in hand. I like my large Victorinox chef better than the much heavier Henckels, unless I'm trying to go through bone.

For a basic set, I would consider the 8" Chef, 7" Granton Edge Santoku, 6" Boning, 4" Paring, and the 10 1/4" Bread knives. Don't forget a honing steel and a sharpening stone. A dual side Japanese water stone (1000/4000) is a fine choice. Decent kitchen shears are also a worthy addition.

For vegetable slicing, the low angle Japanese knives, like Shuns, are a joy to use, but are less tolerant of ill handling. Considering one as a special purchase.

jmoore
07-07-2015, 12:58 PM
Which model Dexter Russell? I could use a few upgraded knives for a weekend house.

paredown
07-07-2015, 01:03 PM
Way back--late '70s?--before I knew anything I bought an 8" Henckels chef's knife off a knife cart in a local mall.

"This is the last knife you'll need to buy" he says. It may well be true. Yes there are sharper, flashier, lighter--but I feel like I accidentally bought the Surly Long Haul trucker of knives--and I think that is a good thing.

We later picked up a smaller one for my wife--but basically I use the heck out of both. The rivets are really corroded on mine (no dishwasher, but lots of lemons and stuff over the years). Broke the tip on the 6"--may get it reground one day, but I need to find someone competent.

For me the Henckels 6" + 8"; bread knife, carving knife and some miscellaneous paring knives has kept us fed for 25+ years. Best investment I think I have ever made.

RyanH
07-07-2015, 02:00 PM

This is true, steels do not sharpen, they just restore the edge. These are pretty versatile as they will hone and in a pinch, can sharpen:

http://www.amazon.com/Kyocera-CSW-18-BK-9-Inch-Ceramic-Sharpener/dp/B000KKLZ68

This may be blasphemy to knife geeks, but I use a $9 Accusharp on all my kitchen knives (Wustoff Classics). It does a good job of keeping the knives plenty sharp. Probably not hair shaving sharp, but plenty sharp enough for the way we use our knives. We got them in 2001 and they are still going strong.

I'm guilty of this too, I use the minosharp for Japanese knives.

staggerwing
07-07-2015, 02:52 PM
A traditional honing steel, is made of hardened steel, just like your knife. As noted, it does NOT remove material from your blade, but rather realigns the edge. It is a 'tune up/maintenance' step between proper sharpening. In a commercial environment, this would be done at least daily, if not more frequently. You only need two-three swipes per side and it only takes a couple of seconds. Angle is not too critical with a steel.

The ceramic rod by Kyocera, is made of a material much harder than your knives, and is abrasive. As such, it does remove a very small amount of material with each stroke, and is a true sharpening instrument. You want to be more careful about holding angle with this one.

Now, for the devil is the details point. For a full sharpening, I find it much easier to hold a proper angle, when working against a large sharpening stone placed on a fixed surface, such as a table top. It is much harder to hold a consistent angle when holding a rod in one hand, and a knife in the other. For a light tuning, the Kyocera rod would be excellent.

classtimesailer
07-07-2015, 03:21 PM
Which model Dexter Russell? I could use a few upgraded knives for a weekend house.

This is one I have had for 30 years.

http://www.fishboneknives.com/s145-8-dexter-russell-8-inch-cooks-knife-with-sanisafe-handle/

OtayBW
07-07-2015, 04:02 PM
My opinion: for sharpening any way other than just a simple 'conditioning' of the edge or burr removal, etc., get a proper set of stones and forget the rod business. 1000 grit or less for establishing a bevel or for maintenance; 4000/8000/12000 or higher (for synthetics) for more finishing/polishing. I use a series of Japanese naturals with intrinsic slurry for razors, but these go far finer than anything needed for knifework.

rugbysecondrow
07-07-2015, 08:19 PM
Does anybody have a knife sharpener they send theirs to?

Thanks

Paul

p nut
07-07-2015, 08:29 PM
Update:

Picked up a Shun Santoku 5.5". Felt the best for the wife. They had some nice knives there. I'm sure we'll be back visiting the store soon. And I'll probably pick up a Shun whetstone (1000/6000, I believe).

http://i828.photobucket.com/albums/zz208/201C/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsnnika39t.jpg

bikinchris
07-07-2015, 08:41 PM

Yes, I wrote that wrong. I meant you want a steel to keep your edge between sharpenings. A good sharpening stone is very necessary.

lil_champ
07-08-2015, 01:02 AM
I have some Tojiro DP knives. They are a great value, and excellent knives for the kind of cooking I do at home. Check out japanesechefsknife.com or chefsknivestogo.com. I've had good experiences with both sites, and they have some really cool stuff that you won't find in your local mall.

tlittlefield
07-08-2015, 07:47 AM
That is the first Shun that I bought, great knive and beautiful craftsmanship. You/she will have that for a lifetime (-;

Update:

Picked up a Shun Santoku 5.5". Felt the best for the wife. They had some nice knives there. I'm sure we'll be back visiting the store soon. And I'll probably pick up a Shun whetstone (1000/6000, I believe).

http://i828.photobucket.com/albums/zz208/201C/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsnnika39t.jpg

Dired
07-08-2015, 08:29 AM
Another fan of the classics - 7" santoku, 6" ultimate sandwich, and the small versions of the above. Great stuff.

Ken Robb
07-08-2015, 12:54 PM
When choosing steel for a blade there is a trade-off between a really hard steel that hold an edge for a long time but is a bit tricky to sharpen vs. softer (often carbon) steel that needs sharpening more frequently but that is quite easy for a lay person to do.

I have and use both kinds. I'd suggest a beginner with a limited budget get carbon steel from someone like Chicago Cutlery (lots of other good brands out there) and a steel for frequent 5 second tune-ups plus one of the systems with two ceramic rods that mount vee-shaped in a wood block for sharpening as needed. When you have more experience and $$ you MAY want to "upgrade" to more exotic blades or you may be perfectly happy with what you have. OTOH I LOVE just looking at my beautiful Japanese style $100+ knives. At least half the time I find myself using a Chicago Cutlery boning knife that I inherited from my father-in-law who was a butcher. It is probably over 50 years old.

Tin Turtle
07-08-2015, 03:31 PM
Update:

Beautiful knife. I would buy a Shun but I still have my main chef knife from my 20's and another I picked up later. I just can't justify it... at least that's what I tell myself. I do have a Shun paring knife.

I have about 20 knives for various things. My dad collects knives and he and I use the same sharpening systems. One is a modified belt sander. But the one you should look at is a Tri-Angle system from Spyderco. Works great, easy for beginners to maintain the correct angle and will not scratch up that beautiful blade like a stone will. Spyderco Tri Angle Sharpener (http://www.amazon.com/Spyderco-Tri-Angle-Sharpmaker-Sharpener-204MF/dp/B000Q9C4AE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1436387459&sr=8-1&keywords=spyder+sharpener)