PDA

View Full Version : riding around the Grand Tetons

rockdude
07-06-2015, 12:12 PM
Heading to the Tetons later in the month and looking for recommendations for a couple of rides.

Also, have a camper Van and pretty self contained is there any forest camping near by? or camping where we don't need a reservation?

summilux
07-06-2015, 12:27 PM
Jenny Lake is a great no reservation site.I don't think there was any hookup (we tented).

malcolm
07-06-2015, 12:30 PM
there is a fairly long bike path that runs from Jackson Wyoming toward Yellowstone. It looks fairly flat and boring but you can see the Tetons the whole way and lots of bison. I saw people biking all the main park roads in both Teton and Yellowstone parks. We were there in early may so tourist traffic hadn't peaked yet.

lzuk
07-06-2015, 03:33 PM
Lots of National Forest campgrounds $10 -15 per night no hookups-no reservations

SlackMan
07-06-2015, 04:47 PM
Absolutely stunning place. Our experience was that if you don't find a no-reservation campground by about 9am, they are full. So, in making our way through the park (and Yellowstone), we would wake up early, eat breakfast, drive to the next campground, and wait for someone to leave. Then, after we secured our spot, we would take off and enjoy the day. You generally cannot pull off the side of the road and camp, or camp just off the road or trail. If you wind up without a site, you'll have to drive out of the park and hope for the best. All of the preceding is why we ultimately switched to backcountry camping where you don't have to wait like a vulture over a limited number of campsites.

rockdude
07-07-2015, 07:22 AM
Any must do rides in the Jackson area?

Gummee
07-07-2015, 07:30 AM
I've only been once, but I don't remember anything 'exciting' down in Jackson.

M

Bostic
07-07-2015, 09:26 AM
My wife and I just got back from vacation from SLC, Jackson and Yellowstone. As mentioned above, there is a long path along the side of the road that goes from Jackson up to Yellowstone. Flat, but amazing views. On the day we drove up to Yellowstone there were dozens of cyclists on that path. My wife mentioned it would be a great place to bring a tandem with couplers (that's another thread).

c-record
07-07-2015, 10:06 AM
You could do 'around the block'. It's ~100 miles around Jackson, Alpine, Pallisades, Swan Valley, Victor and back to Jackson.

jds108
07-07-2015, 10:16 AM
Never done it on a bicycle, but if you want to do some riding on a dirt road, Ashton-flagg ranch road is worth checking out. You feel like you're going right through the middle of the Tetons.

I wouldn't consider the roads in Yellowstone to be rider friendly as there will be lots of traffic and a very small shoulder. Many of the drivers will be looking at the scenery rather than you.

Idaho state highway 47 through Warm River would be nice as far as roads go, it won't have much traffic.

I grew up in the area but never did much cycling.

HenryA
07-07-2015, 12:55 PM
Got MTB?

There's nice trails up the Gros Ventre area. I rode some trails there several years ago and had a pretty good time.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/btnf/recreation/bicycling/?recid=71389&actid=24

http://www.gtlc.com/lodging/gtlc-campgrounds-gros-ventre.aspx

In my opinion, road riding in that area may not be so great -- at least not what you'll come across in the touristy areas. Just too many cars. On the other hand there's loads of off road available and no cars.

eBAUMANN
07-07-2015, 12:58 PM
the mtb riding is definitely better than road riding.

that said, the climb up teton pass (the old road closed to cars) is pretty nice and challenging...also the ride out to signal mountain from jackson is pretty nice, great views of the mountains the entire way, nice smooth road.

cnighbor1
07-08-2015, 01:47 PM
go to grazyguyonabicycle.com

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/search/?main_type=all&query=grand+Teton+np

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/page/?o=tS&page_id=230870&v=4E#pic_992390