PDA

View Full Version : TDF Stage 3 Live Discussion: The Mur de Huy (Spoilers)

MattTuck
07-06-2015, 07:11 AM
I love the idea of adding in more roads from the classics into the tour.

Picks for today's stage?

ANAO
07-06-2015, 07:20 AM
I just want to see Fabian in the yellow for a few days. Makes me happy to see him there.

guido
07-06-2015, 07:40 AM
Valverde

MattTuck
07-06-2015, 07:42 AM
Locking in my picks. Which, for those not keeping score, virtually eliminates the chance that any of these names will have a good result.

1. Dan Martin
2. Michal Kwiatkowski
3. Chris Froome

Lewis Moon
07-06-2015, 07:48 AM
Locking in my picks. Which, for those not keeping score, virtually eliminates the chance that any of these names will have a good result.

1. Dan Martin
2. Michal Kwiatkowski
3. Chris Froome

Then, thank you for choosing the Robot Chicken for that list.

EPIC! Stratton
07-06-2015, 09:00 AM
Whoa! :eek:

bcroslin
07-06-2015, 09:05 AM
what is going on?! I just tuned in on my phone and there's dude's laying in a ditch and they're neutralizing the race?

guido
07-06-2015, 09:06 AM
Big crash... Front pack went down including Fabian. Tom Dumoulin has abandoned.

MattTuck
07-06-2015, 09:06 AM
Big high speed crash.

Not entirely sure why the neutralization other than it was a really bad crash for some folks.

bcroslin
07-06-2015, 09:07 AM
Big crash...

I've never seen the race stopped dead like that because of a crash. Crazy.

MattTuck
07-06-2015, 09:09 AM
From the sound of it, there are lots of people abandoning. It was a pretty gnarly crash.

guido
07-06-2015, 09:09 AM
Now race officials have neutralized completely bring the race to a stop.

MattTuck
07-06-2015, 09:10 AM
Maybe they view it as not fair when you have all your team cars back at the crash? No idea.

guido
07-06-2015, 09:10 AM
Laurens Ten Dam, William Bonnet, Simon Gerrans have all joined Dumoulin have all abandoned.

Cancellara is badly shaken up too...

MattTuck
07-06-2015, 09:15 AM
The reason that they're going with is that the medical staff was 100% involved in the crash and would not have been able to support a second incident.

oldpotatoe
07-06-2015, 09:17 AM
Big high speed crash.

Not entirely sure why the neutralization other than it was a really bad crash for some folks.

Yowser, Cancellera's bike goes flying. Messy crash. Surprised they stopped neutralized first climb...

guido
07-06-2015, 09:22 AM
Ten Dam is still in the race...

Laurens Ten Dam, William Bonnet, Simon Gerrans have all joined Dumoulin have all abandoned.

Cancellara is badly shaken up too...

ANAO
07-06-2015, 09:23 AM
I'm at work.

Keep the updates coming!

azrider
07-06-2015, 09:25 AM
The reason that they're going with is that the medical staff was 100% involved in the crash and would not have been able to support a second incident.

this makes a lot of sense......such a rough season for Gerrans

bcroslin
07-06-2015, 09:38 AM
Ten Dam is riding with a dislocated shoulder. :eek:

guido
07-06-2015, 09:41 AM
http://cdn.velonews.competitor.com/files/2015/07/Screen-Shot-2015-07-06-at-8.07.46-AM-659x440.png

Pretty crazy...

ANAO
07-06-2015, 09:41 AM
http://www.sbnation.com/2015/7/6/8900391/tour-de-france-crash-stage-3

https://vine.co/v/enbUhAa6D5I/embed/simple" width="600" height="600" frameborder="0"></iframe><script src="https://platform.vine.co/static/scripts/embed.js">

MattTuck
07-06-2015, 09:48 AM
Lotto Jumbo really need some new jerseys that are not yellow.

LJohnny
07-06-2015, 09:54 AM
When the race was neutralized, the commentators speculated that it was because of a second crash, further up the road, to which medical attention was being not provided in a timely manner (because all the medical staff were at the scene of the 1st crash.)
Later the "in-the-race" reporter talked to the officials and he was told that they decided to neutralize the stage because there were too many riders down at one time.

Lewis Moon
07-06-2015, 09:55 AM
Looks like a touched wheel? Carnage.

bobswire
07-06-2015, 09:58 AM
It's getting to be a regular occurrence for chaos to strike in the first week of the TdF.

guido
07-06-2015, 10:03 AM
It's getting to be a regular occurrence for chaos to strike in the first week of the TdF.

One wonders if it is a feature or a bug...

bcroslin
07-06-2015, 10:13 AM
Looks like a touched wheel? Carnage.

Just like what happens on local group rides. Somebody grabs some brakes and the guy behind isn't paying attention and then bodies everywhere.

MattTuck
07-06-2015, 10:34 AM
Great win from Rodriguez. Good showing from Froome as well.

Cancellara is probably less than 50/50 to start tomorrow... bummer too, as it would have been his domain on the cobbles. Hopefully he checks out ok, but not looking good.

kramnnim
07-06-2015, 10:37 AM
And Froome in yellow. Wow, crazy stage.

Poor Tony. lol.

chengher87
07-06-2015, 10:38 AM
Wow, heartbreak again for Tony Martin. Second in GC to Froome now. If by another set of time bonuses.......

WOW!! 1 second?!?!?!?!

bcroslin
07-06-2015, 10:38 AM
Tony Martin screwed by Cavendish's day 2 finish line antics for a second day in a row. Total jerk.

kramnnim
07-06-2015, 10:40 AM
Stybar or Van Avermaet could be in yellow tomorrow, with the cobbles and all...

Though I suppose EQS would try to get Tony that second he needs.

ANAO
07-06-2015, 11:07 AM

Historically speaking, that won't happen.

guido
07-06-2015, 11:10 AM
TJ in third on the GC...

Great stuff!

denapista
07-06-2015, 11:30 AM
Wonder how that will work out for Saxo. Sagan is a classics style rider. He's .31 seconds down on yellow. Do you let him go and get yellow and then defend it, with your GC hopes in AC? I would love to see Sagan in yellow, just to piss off the weird owner.

ANAO
07-06-2015, 11:32 AM
+1 ^.

Very weird owner.

jr59
07-06-2015, 11:32 AM
Wonder how that will work out for Saxo. Sagan is a classics style rider. He's .31 seconds down on yellow. Do you let him go and get yellow and then defend it, with your GC hopes in AC? I would love to see Sagan in yellow, just to piss off the weird owner.

I bet he was not to happy having the first climb before the sprint shut down.

I doubt that Grieple would have won the 20 points.

Uncle Jam's Army
07-06-2015, 12:14 PM
That was one of the worst crashes I can remember recently. Looked like the FDJ rider tried to avoid something on the road, swerved right slightly, right into a rear wheel.

Froome is looking strong.

Lewis Moon
07-06-2015, 12:38 PM
That was one of the worst crashes I can remember recently. Looked like the FDJ rider tried to avoid something on the road, swerved right slightly, right into a rear wheel.

http://cdn.bleedingcool.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/RobotChicken.jpg

bcroslin
07-06-2015, 01:42 PM

And Contador looked like he was suffering.

BTW - would love to see Sagan in yellow for a day or two.

MattTuck
07-06-2015, 02:03 PM
GoPro video from one of the mechanics on OGE during the crash.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7raIxrzodt4&feature=youtu.be

MattTuck
07-06-2015, 02:13 PM
Also, from Cancellara's twitter.

Just left the hospital with a huge disappointment #TDF2015 is over broke some bones on my back again as in spring. #L3/L4right side

bcroslin
07-06-2015, 02:18 PM
GoPro video from one of the mechanics on OGE during the crash.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7raIxrzodt4&feature=youtu.be

Wow, that is compelling footage. All that groaning is terrible. Couldn't tell if it was the Lotto rider or whoever it was that hit the light pole. What a mess.

Burnette
07-06-2015, 02:23 PM
I missed the race, daughter's dentist appointment early, then we played downstars, her outside, me on the rollers.
Check the forum and see this, wow.
Matt, in that video you posted, sounded like the mechanic said "he broke his collar bone" at 4:23 in? Not sure, but that's what I heard.
Is there video of the crashes anywhere yet?
Want to see how they started.

MattTuck
07-06-2015, 02:26 PM
I missed the race, daughter's dentist appointment early, then we played downstars, her outside, me on the rollers.
Check the forum and see this, wow.
Matt, in that video you posted, sounded like the mechanic said "he broke his collar bone" at 4:23 in? Not sure, but that's what I heard.
Is there video of the crashes anywhere yet?
Want to see how they started.

Yeah, I heard that too. But, I think it is wrong. They're dealing with incomplete information. And the way he was holding his arm (to protect his wrist) looked a lot like the way they hold it when they break a collar bone...

Crash was terrible. I'm sure it is somewhere, but not sure where. High speed crash. Cancellara's bike must have flipped for about 40 feet. To give you an idea of the energy involved.

Burnette
07-06-2015, 02:35 PM
On cyclingnews, Tejay van Garderen says his group was ahead of the crash traveling about 80 to 90 km per hour. That's 50 to 55 mhp. Damn, I need to go back downstairs.

mgm777
07-06-2015, 02:49 PM
No disrespect intended, but is anyone else surprised that Froome out-climbed Contador and Quintana? Hmmmmmm?

sandyrs
07-06-2015, 03:03 PM
No disrespect intended, but is anyone else surprised that Froome out-climbed Contador and Quintana? Hmmmmmm?

I was a little surprised to see Froome up there in second but the Mur is not Mont Ventoux- it's far shorter and steeper and doesn't suit the GC guys the same way those long climbs do. It's not like Tony Gallopin is a serious GC contender, but he was up there on the Mur because he's a strong all-around classics rider.

Edit: Plus, I thought Froome looked better on the Mur (aesthetically) than I'd have expected. When he's out of the saddle he isn't quite so unpleasant to watch pedal.

Burnette
07-06-2015, 03:15 PM
They make you watch a women's beach volley ball promo before it comes on, but here is video of the crash that had Cancellara in it:
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nbc-yahoo-sports/two-large-crashes-mar-tour--put-stage-3-on-hold-164500149.html
You said it Matt, his bike flew along way, wow. And a poor guy actually hit the light pole full speed while sliding too.

denapista
07-06-2015, 03:48 PM
Huy isn't a super long climb, so punchy riders can get over it. That explains why Valverde and other rides of that caliber have won on that climb. Froome looks good, but we all know he has questionable bike handling skills. I hope it's dry tomorrow and perfect, because the cobbles are going to shake up the GC for sure. Nibali glided over the cobbles last year in the rain! My buddy said, the directors should leave a camera on Nibali the entire stage. Contador lost big o the cobbles last year. I feel sorry for Quintana and the cobbles coming up. That little fella is going to rocked.

bcroslin
07-06-2015, 03:54 PM
Just curious if anyone else noticed the large black devices mounted on the underside of nearly everyone's saddles? Anyone know what those are?

45K10
07-06-2015, 03:59 PM
Just curious if anyone else noticed the large black devices mounted on the underside of nearly everyone's saddles? Anyone know what those are?

Is this what you saw?
http://www.bikeradar.com/us/road/gear/article/tour-de-france-2015-road-bike-tech-44690/

Uncle Jam's Army
07-06-2015, 04:14 PM
I think they're called a$$ savers. To keep spray off your backside when its raining.

ScottM
07-06-2015, 04:17 PM
I was afraid someone would hit the light pole head on at high speed instead of swamping it after scrubbing off some speed on the pavement/ground . That could have led to a real tragedy.

efuentes
07-06-2015, 04:23 PM

Those are the new telemetry instruments, I believe

http://inrng.com/2015/06/geolocation-telemetry-dauphine/

denapista
07-06-2015, 04:28 PM
I was afraid someone would hit the light pole head on at high speed instead of swamping it after scrubbing off some speed on the pavement/ground . That could have led to a real tragedy.

I honestly thought this was the reason they stopped the race. I lost a really close friend in LA in that manner. Racing a crit and hit a post. It looked like that FDJ rider was wrecked. I'm glad cooler heads prevailed in the peloton, you could see there was some frustration in the front. I still think Sagan will take green and I hope he rides into yellow tomorrow.

Seramount
07-06-2015, 04:31 PM
the talking heads on NBC are saying the race was neutralized to allow the medical cars to rejoin the peloton after attending to those injured in the crashes...

denapista
07-06-2015, 04:36 PM
the talking heads on NBC are saying the race was neutralized to allow the medical cars to rejoin the peloton after attending to those injured in the crashes...

correct. My initial thought watching it live, was that someone hit the pole and the fact that it was a huge fast crash. It made sense to do that considering there were (2) consecutive crashes. The scenario in that event, played out perfectly for a neutralization. Like a Disaster recovery plan actually working in a corporate IT setting. Two back to back pile ups on slim roads with no medical availability due to cars not being able to get through. It all made sense. what if someone in the peloton went down after the double pile up and needed serious medical attention? Like life threatening injuries. The race was still good today. Hope it isn't a $hit $how tomorrow on the cobbles.

enr1co
07-06-2015, 05:25 PM
Yeah, I heard that too. But, I think it is wrong. They're dealing with incomplete information. And the way he was holding his arm (to protect his wrist) looked a lot like the way they hold it when they break a collar bone...

Crash was terrible. I'm sure it is somewhere, but not sure where. High speed crash. Cancellara's bike must have flipped for about 40 feet. To give you an idea of the energy involved.

Bummer to hear- Cancellera out with factured vertabrae (again). Hope he can heal up and finish up his career strongly in 2016 as he was planning.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2015/07/news/cancellara-out-of-tour-de-france-with-fractured-vertebrae_376820

MattTuck
07-06-2015, 06:07 PM
Who writes the crap in that article?

Cancellara came into the Tour, aiming to return to the top after a disappointing spring campaign and help team leader Bauke Mollema.

His spring campaign was not disappointing, it was ended by a crash. There's a difference. Disappointing is lining up in every race as top contender and failing to have a good result. He may have been 'disappointed' that he wasn't able to ride the top races, but that is different.

bcroslin
07-06-2015, 06:18 PM
Who writes the crap in that article?

His spring campaign was not disappointing, it was ended by a crash. There's a difference. Disappointing is lining up in every race as top contender and failing to have a good result. He may have been 'disappointed' that he wasn't able to ride the top races, but that is different.

Disappointing is Etixx-Quick-Step's performance yesterday

1centaur
07-06-2015, 07:29 PM
IMO, Froome has form and AC does not. He popped the way he pops - hangs in close to his target and then just falls off the pace. He has been MUCH more competitive on that climb in the past. I expect him to race to stay in contact until the high mountains and then lose hope of the win and try for the podium.

Not Nibali's type of climb and he did well. Not really Quintana's type of climb either. Froome is more explosive and more diverse in his ability than those guys but can hit his limit and then just scramble to hold on during a very steep finish. Huy is made for Purito, who has had an amazing career for such a niche climber.

bobswire
07-06-2015, 07:33 PM
IMO, Froome has form and AC does not. He popped the way he pops - hangs in close to his target and then just falls off the pace. He has been MUCH more competitive on that climb in the past. I expect him to race to stay in contact until the high mountains and then lose hope of the win and try for the podium.

Not Nibali's type of climb and he did well. Not really Quintana's type of climb either. Froome is more explosive and more diverse in his ability than those guys but can hit his limit and then just scramble to hold on during a very steep finish. Huy is made for Purito, who has had an amazing career for such a niche climber.

Hoping to see TJ keep up his form.

bironi
07-06-2015, 08:14 PM
Cancellera breaks two vertebrae and finishes on a 20+ grade.
F.
That's not Frank.

shovelhd
07-06-2015, 09:19 PM
I watched the NBC replay at least a half dozen times. What I saw was the FDJ rider near the front on the RHS come off his rotation gassed. The rider in front of him swung onto front a little too fast, taking the FDJ rider's front wheel out. Carnage ensued. I agree with the neutralization. They could have neutralized the stage.

gary135r
07-06-2015, 09:52 PM
I second that!

Keith A
07-06-2015, 09:53 PM
Bummer to hear- Cancellera out with factured vertabrae (again). Hope he can heal up and finish up his career strongly in 2016 as he was planning.I was sad to see him hurt again too. He has a rough time lately and was hoping he would have a good TdF this year.

gary135r
07-06-2015, 09:59 PM
Wow, that is compelling footage. All that groaning is terrible. Couldn't tell if it was the Lotto rider or whoever it was that hit the light pole. What a mess.
do the have concussion protocols like here in the U.S.?

gary135r
07-06-2015, 10:08 PM
I was sad to see him hurt again too. He has a rough time lately and was hoping he would have a good TdF this year.
Pleased that I can say I saw "Spartacus" win a stage in Holland during the '09 Veulta. Great career.

regularguy412
07-06-2015, 10:16 PM

If Tony 'happens' to get in a small break, they may just let him go. Let Etixx defend for the better part of a week and a half. All the big GC teams keep their powder dry. Then see what happens in the Alps.

Mike in AR:beer:

kramnnim
07-06-2015, 10:42 PM

No, not yet.

CPP
07-07-2015, 04:03 AM
I'm surprised that nobody brought this up:
What would that crash have been like if everybody were riding discs?

jr59
07-07-2015, 05:12 AM
If Tony 'happens' to get in a small break, they may just let him go. Let Etixx defend for the better part of a week and a half. All the big GC teams keep their powder dry. Then see what happens in the Alps.

Mike in AR:beer:

Sounds like almost every year. The race doesn't start until the road goes up in a big way!

Although, this has been a fun to watch first couple of days!

kramnnim
07-07-2015, 06:01 AM
I'm surprised that nobody brought this up:
What would that crash have been like if everybody were riding discs?

The same? Finger in a rotor slot could be worse than fingers in spokes, but I can't think of anything else? It's not like the rotors would have been warmer than air temperature. Happened too fast for decreased stopping distance to matter.

Mechanic in the video would run a little slower while carrying the wheels, since they weigh more.

oldpotatoe
07-07-2015, 06:01 AM

But jeeezuz he is hard to watch..seemed like he was in the wrong gear, pedaling madly chasing Contador with his elbows out..

oldpotatoe
07-07-2015, 06:02 AM

In USA cycling? They don't exist.

soulspinner
07-07-2015, 06:17 AM
Cancellera breaks two vertebrae and finishes on a 20+ grade.
F.
That's not Frank.

:p

Grant McLean
07-07-2015, 08:12 AM
IMO, Froome has form and AC does not.

Maybe, but I think AC will manage his efforts the first 10 days in order
to exert the minimum amount of energy possible. Froome is like a boner
looking for a hole.

-g

kramnnim
07-07-2015, 08:13 AM
In USA cycling? They don't exist.

I assumed he meant NFL, etc, since that is a big concern these days.

Onno
07-07-2015, 08:19 AM
So was there actually a second crash after the big pile up? If so, who was in it? Phil Ligget makes so much stuff up, and there's of course a lot of confusion on the race radio that he also reports, so that it's often hard to know what's actually going on.

kramnnim
07-07-2015, 10:40 AM
Haven't seen any pictures of the second crash, supposedly 500 meters down the road. Who was hurt in it? A few guys crashed on the left side of the road, but it was same general area as the one caused by Bonnet.

MattTuck
07-07-2015, 11:20 AM
Haven't seen any pictures of the second crash, supposedly 500 meters down the road. Who was hurt in it? A few guys crashed on the left side of the road, but it was same general area as the one caused by Bonnet.

Mark,

Here's onboard video from yesterday's stage. (http://velonews.competitor.com/2015/07/video/video-on-the-bike-highlights-from-stage-3-of-the-tour_376841)

The main crash is at about 1:00. The second crash on the left side of the road is at 1:23.

Hope that is helpful.

kramnnim
07-07-2015, 09:06 PM
Mark,

Here's onboard video from yesterday's stage. (http://velonews.competitor.com/2015/07/video/video-on-the-bike-highlights-from-stage-3-of-the-tour_376841)

The main crash is at about 1:00. The second crash on the left side of the road is at 1:23.

Hope that is helpful.

It is, thanks!

regularguy412
07-07-2015, 09:16 PM
Originally Posted by regularguy412

Sounds like almost every year. The race doesn't start until the road goes up in a big way!

Although, this has been a fun to watch first couple of days!

Holy Crap! Been on this forum over 8 years. Only took me that long to finally get a prediction right.

Not gonna give up my day job and start selecting lottery numbers, tho.