PDA

View Full Version : Remove Valve Core without Removing Tubular Tire

RyanH
07-05-2015, 07:05 PM
So, when I got my new wheelset, they came with some valve extenders, the kind where you leave the valve always open. About 10 minutes after finishing up gluing my tires, I realised some of the pitfalls of that design: my Lezyne pump can't attach to them, my mini pump can't and I can't dump Stan's into the tire in the event of a flat.

Is there a way to remove the core from the tire without removing the tubular? This is a 50mm deep wheelset where the valve is about 1cm below the rim.

lhuerta
07-05-2015, 07:15 PM
...assuming the valve stem is not protruding from the rim (i.e. shorter then the 50mm wheel depth) then the answer is no. You will need to remove the tire to remove the crappy extender. Get rid of the extender and get an integrated valve extender that allows you to screw directly into the valve stem and then attach the core to the extender.

pbarry
07-05-2015, 07:27 PM
I completely defer to Lou on this one. Just wondering: What if the OP used Loctite to glue the extender onto the valve, wait to cure, then remove the valve and extender as a unit?

fogrider
07-05-2015, 09:00 PM
I completely defer to Lou on this one. Just wondering: What if the OP used Loctite to glue the extender onto the valve, wait to cure, then remove the valve and extender as a unit?

I think the valve extender is like this one: http://www.competitivecyclist.com/zipp-valve-extensions?ti=U2VhcmNoIFJlc3VsdHM6dmFsdmUgZXh0ZW5k ZXI6MToxOnZhbHZlIGV4dGVuZGVy&skidn=ZIP0117-BK-S33MM

the extender gets screwed over a valve with core that is left open. once installed, the only way to remove the core is to pull the tire off.

there are extenders that allow you to remove the core, insert the extender then insert your core: http://www.competitivecyclist.com/problem-solvers-presta-valve-extender-removable-core?ti=U2VhcmNoIFJlc3VsdHM6dmFsdmUgZXh0ZW5kZXI6MT o1OnZhbHZlIGV4dGVuZGVy&skidn=PSL0007-BK-S30MM

pbarry
07-05-2015, 09:16 PM
Thanks for the primer! :) No. 2 is what I've seen in the wild.

RyanH
07-05-2015, 10:10 PM
Ya, #2 is what I've always used. I just saw shiny black things and went with it this time. Lesson learned.