PDA

View Full Version : Deerfield Dirt Road Randonnee conversation

chuck
05-01-2006, 08:20 PM
Was riding with Westfield MA LBS owner Don Podolski yesterday on his Berkshire Brevet 200k, and at one point on the ride he pointed to a nearby wooded hillside and said the Deerfield Dirt Road Randonne (Aug 26) runs up along the top of that hill. We got to talking about the ride, whose originator is Boston-Montreal-Boston record holder Sandy Whittlesey. Don co-hosts the ride. I mentioned that I had seen quite a response to a fall/winter post about the ride and expected that they'll have a big turnout this year.

Apparently the folks at the Franklin (county) Land Trust are prepared to support the ride in terms of staffing checkpoints and the like. Also, parking at the start is limited and Don was a bit concerned about that.

He also mentioned that if anyone's planning to do the ride solo on another day, a contribution to the Franklin Land Trust would be an appropriate way to show appreciation.

Don and Sandy may find it helpful at this point in time to get a sense of forumites planning on the ride, so if you're pretty sure about it, feel free to reply as it may help them gauge the demand this 2nd year.

Here are links to the ride and to the Land Trust.

http://newhorizonsbikes.com/page.cfm?PageID=347
http://www.franklinlandtrust.org/theneed.htm

Chuck

inGobwetrust
05-01-2006, 10:56 PM
I'm doing the metric with a group of 3 others.

Ginger
05-01-2006, 11:05 PM
Full ride.
:)

Elmer
05-02-2006, 07:50 AM
Full Ride!

JanG
05-02-2006, 03:28 PM
I followed the discussion on this ride with great interest. Unfortunately, the ride date doesn't work for me. However, I do some riding around Northampton every summer and would gladly do some or all of the ride at a different time if I had a route map. I would also gladly make a contribution to the Franklin Land Trust.

Are there any links to route maps?

pbbob
05-02-2006, 03:34 PM
metric.
ride all morning, goof off all afternoon.

chuck
05-02-2006, 07:21 PM
I followed the discussion on this ride with great interest. Unfortunately, the ride date doesn't work for me. However, I do some riding around Northampton every summer and would gladly do some or all of the ride at a different time if I had a route map. I would also gladly make a contribution to the Franklin Land Trust.

Are there any links to route maps?

Jan, I emailed Don Podolski about cue sheet availability and will post the reply.
Chuck