PDA

View Full Version : Campagnolo shifter rebuild question

Russian bear
07-05-2015, 12:18 AM
Recently bought a set of Chorus 11 shifters, but the left one needs a rebuild. Looking at shifter bodies I can only find the Record and Super Record ones. Prices seem to be pretty close, so any reason I can't use a SR shifter body to rebuild it? Any big difference between the Record and SR shifter bodies?

oldpotatoe
07-05-2015, 06:29 AM
Recently bought a set of Chorus 11 shifters, but the left one needs a rebuild. Looking at shifter bodies I can only find the Record and Super Record ones. Prices seem to be pretty close, so any reason I can't use a SR shifter body to rebuild it? Any big difference between the Record and SR shifter bodies?

Differences in graphics is all. Shift guts are all 'SR' type for Ultrashift. What needs rebuilding? What's it doing? Just broken body? These innards are VERY robust, no shift springs, carriers ala older ERGO. I've seen a couple of shifter blades break and one thumb button but nothing internal. Have OVHed a 'few' of these.

gfk_velo
07-06-2015, 01:31 AM
Differences in graphics is all. Shift guts are all 'SR' type for Ultrashift. What needs rebuilding? What's it doing? Just broken body? These innards are VERY robust, no shift springs, carriers ala older ERGO. I've seen a couple of shifter blades break and one thumb button but nothing internal. Have OVHed a 'few' of these.

No difference in compatibility - there are some differences in the materials used in the shifter body itself, in lever 2 and in the pad for lever 3. More about strength & durability / crash resistance than anything.
Briefly, SR uses long strand carbon fibre as part of the composite where Record & Chorus use more glass fibre in the composite.

Russian bear
07-09-2015, 10:26 AM
The thumb shifter travels freely up and down through the whole movement, I assume it's because it's in the lowest shift position. The lever behind the brake blade won't shift up it appears. I don't hear any clicks unless i push it all the way up and have to slightly pull it back. Those shifts don't seem to stick though as the thumb shifter still moves freely after that.