PDA

View Full Version : That time of year - PLEASE NO SPOILERS!!!!

Bruce K
07-04-2015, 09:36 AM
TdF time

Please try to make sure folks who DVD can be "surprised".

Enjoy the Tour and the conversations.

BK

MattTuck
07-04-2015, 12:01 PM
I am with you Bruce. However, while I do my best to keep spoilers out of thread titles, let's also remember that this is a newsworthy event and sometimes people's excitement gets the better of them.

If you truly want to embargo yourself from all TDF results, you are best to avoid the internet and any kind of media altogether. This isn't like the Tour of Flanders where US coverage is non-existent.

I guess what I'm saying is that, for me, no matter how much we try, visiting the paceline always has a risk of spoiling race results.

gary135r
07-04-2015, 12:47 PM
So I shouldn't let people know that Lance won stage one?

guido
07-04-2015, 12:48 PM
Damn I knew I should have watched today...:)

guido
07-04-2015, 12:59 PM
I guess I find it a bit curious that in the internet age some folks would prefer to time shift the events to a time more "convenient to them" and then insist that everyone play along and pretend that it hasn't happened until it is "OK" to discuss the results...

If you don't want to hear any results perhaps it would be more considerate to avoid the internet and media rather than to rain on the parade of everyone else who wants to communicate about the event closer to real time?

Avincent52
07-04-2015, 01:12 PM
Who would have thought Thevenet could take Merckx on the Col d'Izard?
Oh wait. Spoiler alert.

Cicli
07-04-2015, 01:14 PM
I guess I find it a bit curious that in the internet age some folks would prefer to time shift the events to a time more "convenient to them" and then insist that everyone play along and pretend that it hasn't happened until it is "OK" to discuss the results...

If you don't want to hear any results perhaps it would be more considerate to avoid the internet and media rather than to rain on the parade of everyone else who wants to communicate about the event closer to real time?

Agreed, this isnt the only place you can get news of a sporting event. Heck, I would bet alot of those who try to avoide spoilers have to stay away from email as well.

makoti
07-04-2015, 01:30 PM
The butler did it.

Louis
07-04-2015, 02:07 PM
Bruce,

To clarify, I assume you mean no spoilers in the thread titles, correct?

Otherwise, we would be unable to discuss the results of any given stage for days, until we were sure that everyone had watched it, which would be unreasonable.

Bruce K
07-04-2015, 02:09 PM
Wow

Just looking for a little consideration here

Write whatever you want IN the thread - just put "Spoiler" in the title

Not sure why this is so hard....:crap:

BK

MattTuck
07-04-2015, 02:37 PM

I'm with Bruce on this one. We have plenty of live discussions talking about races as they unfold. Just do it without putting a spoiler in the title.

My point above was just that that, if it is REALLY important to you to not learn the results of a certain stage, then I'd stay away from paceline as well as cyclingnews, velonews, cnn, twitter, etc. I'd say we are better than 95% about keeping spoilers out of titles... but there is always that time that someone forgets.

We can all be reminded to keep the results in the thread, with the title a bit more generic. ("TDF Stage 2 - Live Discussion" is enough to get interested parties to the right spot)

guido
07-04-2015, 05:43 PM
If no details in the title is all you wanted why did it take 8 messages to get that clarified?

To avoid stepping on toes then, why doesn't someone make a neutrally titled thread for each stage ie. "TDF 2015 Stage X" and we can discuss in that framework?

Bruce K
07-04-2015, 06:37 PM
I guess because that is what has always been done ("Spoiler" in the title) and the initial post was intended as a reminder because someone always forgets and posts something like "Contador slayed it on Alp d' Huez today".

:rolleyes:

BK

victoryfactory
07-05-2015, 04:08 AM
Sorry Bruce.....
Your original post was unclear. It kind of sounded like you were warning people to avoid all discussion of the race.
How about:

Folks. If you want to discuss the tour in real time, please put the word "spoiler" in the title of the thread, Like "Stage 2 spoiler" without names or hints as to the content.
This long time standard allows people who record to watch later to avoid talk
of results.

Maybe now we can relax and share tour related conversation again?
VF

MattTuck
07-15-2015, 07:25 AM
It is probably worth reminding folks that some threads (the Love for Tejay thread, and the Froome hack thread, specifically) are winding up with some spoiler information in them.

Clearly, if you are wanting to remain in the dark about stage results, I wouldn't click on any thread with the name of a racer in it, but still.... try to throw a 'spoiler' in the title.

guido
07-17-2015, 07:46 PM
http://www.bicycling.com/racing/2015-tour-de-france/how-avoid-tour-de-france-spoilers