PDA

View Full Version : could this new cassette technology come to get us?

eddief
07-04-2015, 08:46 AM
http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest-news/will-game-changing-freehub-design-ever-make-market-157363

witcombusa
07-04-2015, 08:49 AM
This has been done already with freewheels decades ago. It seems to answer a question nobody is asking...

It adds nothing to my cycling.

Here's pix of the Cinelli Bivalent system, same wheel could be used front of back

Cicli
07-04-2015, 09:03 AM
Solution to not a problem.

MattTuck
07-04-2015, 09:10 AM
Purely as a novelty, it would be kind of fun to go to a custom builder and ask for a bike containing as many proprietary 'standards' as possible. Ask for these things, ask for integrated brakes, some weird bottom bracket standard, headset, etc.

I'd do it over the phone, so you don't get punched in the face.

Mark McM
07-04-2015, 09:38 AM
Keeping the driveside of the hub attached to the frame seems like an extravagant setup for little gain. But maybe there would be some advantage to keeping the non-driveside of the hub attached to the frame?

As has been mentioned in discussions on discs brakes in pro races, one of the potential liabilities of disc brake wheels is interchangeability and wheel speed changes. Disc brake have very little rotor/pad clearance, so there is little margin for error rotor positioning between different wheels. A mismatch of even a millimeter can result in brakes dragging.

But what if the rotor stayed with the bike when changing wheels? This might speed up wheel changes, as well as improving interchangeability of disc brake wheels. Consider F1 racing - wheel changes can be done in seconds, with no worry about the affect on brake performance, since the rotors stay with the chassis during wheel changes.

bcroslin
07-04-2015, 10:43 AM
it's groundhog day. this was posted when it originally ran back in Feb.

eddief
07-04-2015, 11:26 AM
what is old is new again.

ultraman6970
07-04-2015, 01:44 PM
Pfff.... that idea is like 50 years old if not more, did not work before; doubt will work now.

unterhausen
07-04-2015, 01:49 PM
funny thing is, it has been reinvented twice in the last 2 years. And the Bivalent was actually a reinvention of some system used on French bikes, the ones with the derailleur brazed to the chain stay. If the derailleurs made sense, then the hub system made sense.

If you have a Columbine chain keeper, it provides about 91.3 percent of the advantage of these systems

palincss
07-04-2015, 03:56 PM
Pfff.... that idea is like 50 years old if not more, did not work before; doubt will work now.

What do you mean by "work"? Functionally, those systems worked just fine. Popularity, not so much. They were almost essential with derailleurs like the Cyclo that mounted under the chain stay because it was so hard to get the wheel out. With derailleurs that mount to the dropout and that can be moved out of the way, they're not necessary.

bicycletricycle
07-04-2015, 05:25 PM
I don't think I would want an effectively split rear axle.

I guess there is nothing wrong with it, it would be nice for wheel changes, it would keep your hands a bit cleaner.

Not enough of a difference to bother IMHO

nighthawk
07-04-2015, 05:45 PM
Purely as a novelty, it would be kind of fun to go to a custom builder and ask for a bike containing as many proprietary 'standards' as possible. Ask for these things, ask for integrated brakes, some weird bottom bracket standard, headset, etc.

Ha! Awesome.

JeffS
07-05-2015, 02:11 AM

I assume you're joking, but in reality, a lot of builders are dealing with this exact scenario on a regular basis.

oldpotatoe
07-05-2015, 07:11 AM
http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest-news/will-game-changing-freehub-design-ever-make-market-157363

Been on motorcycles for a while.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dYIIqYNIk4