PDA

View Full Version : Winter Riding Gear

Splash
07-03-2015, 05:02 PM
http://www.avantiplus.com.au/pluszone/title/Guide/content/cold_weather.html

We now have winter down under and I want to ride, but still only have my summer gear.

WRT above link and any other information you have, what brands of good quality winter gear is recommended for the body when riding in cold conditions?

Splash

makoti
07-03-2015, 05:18 PM
For moderately cold temps (down to 35F/1.6c), I love my Castelli Alpha jacket. I usually wear a Craft base layer under it. I also use the Craft Lobster gloves (http://www.competitivecyclist.com/craft-thermal-split-finger-glove?ti=U2VhcmNoIFJlc3VsdHM6Y3JhZnQgZ2xvdmVzOjE6N DpjcmFmdCBnbG92ZXM&skidn=CRA0467-BLARD-XL). Almost any good tight seems to work. Legs seem to stay warm enough. I'll be watching for suggestions on feet. I use toe warmers usually, but they still get cold.

AngryScientist
07-03-2015, 05:22 PM
For me, the key is layering. I like natural fibers like merino wool next to the skin for wicking purposes. Followed by mid layer, depending on temp, then shell layer, again; depending on temp. Can add another layer for deep cold and vary the weights of the mid layers until you find what works for you in various temps.

FlashUNC
07-03-2015, 05:26 PM
Assos.

I hate to say that because its butt puckeringly expensive. But my cold weather Assos gear blows everything else I've ever tried out of the water.

Splash
07-03-2015, 05:27 PM
Thanks Guys.

I notice in my link in OP, it stated to avoid wool and cotton because once they get wet they stay wet (from sweat for example) and get cold??

SPlash

makoti
07-03-2015, 05:55 PM
Thanks Guys.

I notice in my link in OP, it stated to avoid wool and cotton because once they get wet they stay wet (from sweat for example) and get cold??

SPlash

For cotton, this is very true. I imagine it's the same for wool, but no first-hand experience with it. The fake stuff just works really well nowadays.

muz
07-03-2015, 06:05 PM
I am assuming you don't have much of a winter down under, similar to California. Most winter days I get by with wool base layer and wool short sleeve jersey, regular shorts, arm and knee warmers. I use a windproof vest for early mornings or nighttime riding. Toe warmers, or full shoe covers if it's raining. Wool still insulates when wet, so I don't usually wear a rain jacket unless it's forecast to rain all day (for long brevets).

CNY rider
07-03-2015, 06:16 PM
Thanks Guys.

SPlash

The old quote in the north country is "cotton kills". For just this reason.
Would not say that about wool.

toadbike
07-04-2015, 07:01 PM
Assos

Tandem Rider
07-05-2015, 06:41 AM
Thanks Guys.

SPlash

That is a correct statement for cotton, incorrect for wool.

IME, wool does get heavier when it's wet, so does anything holding an extra pint of water. Wool doesn't absorb odors as easily as the synthetics, but it won't hold it's shape as well when it gets wet.

Training in the cold is all about wind deflection and moisture management. My zips are up and down like a yoyo in the winter. Effort, wind direction, climbs, descents, trying to ventilate enough to keep from sweating without freezing.

christian
07-05-2015, 06:55 AM
What's the lowest temperature you'll see? What zones will you be training in and how long will you be out. Do you run hot or cold. Let us know that and we can suggest a wardrobe.

numbskull
07-05-2015, 08:59 AM
Ibex and Gore Bikewear can get you out there.

Wool is your best friend in my experience.

Some advocate multiple layers of wool rather than a wind blocking jacket. I tried this a bit in temps @ 40F and was impressed with the result.

If you ride near freezing and in strong wind a pair of wind blocking under shorts is useful.