PDA

View Full Version : A huge thanks to the forum

velotel
07-02-2015, 03:07 AM
I have to say the response to my book here really touched me, no exaggeration. I mean no one here knows me, has never seen the book, the book isn’t cheap, yet despite all that the same day I posted that it was available on-line for purchase, something like 25-26 books were ordered! And since then another 10 or so. For which I want to thank you enormously.

Now I’m just waiting to see if people like it because if it’s not up to what folks thought it was going to be, that’s going to be a bummer. It’s not like I have any delusions that this is some prize-winning book or anything but I really hope like hell that it brings pleasure to all who have bought it. My hope for the book is that it becomes something like a good friend, which I suppose is kind of a goofy thought. I mean a book as a friend already! I’ve got books that are that, good friends that I return to from time to time or maybe I just see their spine in the line-up on the book shelves and instantly have to smile thinking about how I enjoyed that book. That’s my hope for Switchbacks, that people will keep it and from time to time go back to it just for a small reminder of what riding a bike is all about, for those times in the winter when it’s dark and cold and wet and getting on the bike just flat isn’t bumping up the thermostat. The perfect time to flip through the pages, dreams of sunshine and fine roads and the sounds of spinning tires and freewheels leaping off the pages, dreams of planning a trip somewhere for a bike holiday.

If that’s what happens for some, that Switchbacks grows into a friend, then I succeeded. With so few printed obviously a financial windfall wasn’t part of the planning but on the other hand if I can sell out, or mostly sell out, cool, I can justify doing Vol II. Which I really want to do because doing Vol I was lots of fun and because Vol II is going to be even better with a bunch of rides that are crazy good. The pick of the litter so to speak.

So, thanks to all of you. If it wasn’t for the forum I never would have done the book. I kind of thought of doing one over the years but just didn’t see that as something very practical and left it hanging out there on the periphery. Until various members here starting telling me I really ought to do a book. So I did and I’ll be damned, it’s even selling. Which is why I said that a dollar of every book sale is going to be given to the forum administrators. Another way of saying thank you. Now I just need to find some other ways to get american riders to know it exists. One step at a time.

Thanks again all

William
07-02-2015, 09:48 AM
Thank you Velotel, for all the rides you have shared with us over the years. Even if we can't all make those beautiful rides ourselves, we can certainly ride them vicariously through your images and text.:cool:

Hoping you sell many more books!

William

velotel
07-04-2015, 04:50 AM
Thank you Velotel, for all the rides you have shared with us over the years. Even if we can't all make those beautiful rides ourselves, we can certainly ride them vicariously through your images and text.:cool:

Hoping you sell many more books!

William
Thanks, it's a pleasure for me to recount the rides here. They're worth knowing about, dream fuel.

thwart
07-04-2015, 06:27 AM
dream fuel.

That sums it up nicely. :banana:

Tim Porter
07-04-2015, 07:24 AM
Hank, I just got the notice that my copy has shipped. Really looking forward to the dream fuel! Tim

AngryScientist
07-04-2015, 07:42 AM
i want to echo what William said and return the thanks to you. this place has a ton of topics of discussion and your ride reports and expert photography are always a pleasure to read. cheers! salute!

etu
07-04-2015, 03:07 PM
Order No 41!
Thank you for sharing our collective passion.

http://velodogs-publishing.com/

572cv
07-04-2015, 06:11 PM
[QUOTE=velotel;1782607]I have to say the response to my book here really touched me, no exaggeration. I mean no one here knows me, has never seen the book, the book isn’t cheap, yet despite all that the same day I posted that it was available on-line for purchase, something like 25-26 books were ordered! And since then another 10 or so. For which I want to thank you enormously.

Well, some of us may not know you, but we have met, ridden, and broken bread together. All of which was a huge treat and a great experience.

You have given many in this group and beyond insight and enthusiasm for the remarkable little roads of your region of France. We in turn are grateful that your observations are so elegantly collected. I'm trying to think of ways to expand your potential market. I think I'll post the link to my local club with review.

Cheers!

velotel
07-05-2015, 12:37 AM
Well, some of us may not know you, but we have met, ridden, and broken bread together. All of which was a huge treat and a great experience.

You have given many in this group and beyond insight and enthusiasm for the remarkable little roads of your region of France. We in turn are grateful that your observations are so elegantly collected. I'm trying to think of ways to expand your potential market. I think I'll post the link to my local club with review.

Cheers!
And french bread in addition, damned good french bread as I recall, along with the rest of the lunch.

Thanks for your words. Much appreciated. Too bad you're not coming back to this corner this year. And thanks for wanting to spread the word.

i want to echo what William said and return the thanks to you. this place has a ton of topics of discussion and your ride reports and expert photography are always a pleasure to read. cheers! salute!
Thanks, but I don't think my pictures merit being called expert photography, really just the camera doing all the work while I tell it what to shoot. Thanks again

Gern
07-05-2015, 02:54 PM
I received my copy yesterday. Thanks for your efforts. I have only read for about 30 minutes or so, but I am very pleased. I, too, like the metaphorical aspects of climbs and switchbacks. I plan to make a list and do some of these… I'll be in Dordogne this fall, so perhaps to far away this year. That gives me more time to plan...