PDA

View Full Version : 53 year olds don't bounce

Fiertetimestwo
07-01-2015, 11:03 PM
Went down like the proverbial sack of potatoes this morning on my ride into work. Don't think anything is broken but I tweaked my lower back and right hip pretty comprehensively.
Home in bed cruising the Forum- so it could be worse.

Be careful everyone!

choke
07-01-2015, 11:11 PM
Ouch. Hopefully you heal quickly!

Louis
07-01-2015, 11:13 PM
Bummer. Listen to your body and heal well.

I've always been amazed by how quickly one can go from being upright on the bike to being on the ground. When it's happened to me it seemed like a teeny fraction of a second.

David Kirk
07-01-2015, 11:31 PM
I hear you.

dave

rustychisel
07-02-2015, 02:13 AM
Hope you're feeling better!!

In this day and age we still haven't invented non-slip traffic paint?!?!???!?! :crap:

paredown
07-02-2015, 04:42 AM
I've got one word for you--physiotherapy.

You need it more when you are older.

Tandem Rider
07-02-2015, 05:40 AM
I second Paredown, I found a sports PT who has put both Mrs TR and I back up to speed more than once. Faster than an MD and cheaper too. (Not a knock on MD's, just overkill sometimes).

Fiertetimestwo
07-02-2015, 06:05 AM
Thanks for the kind words and advice.

My partner just happens to be a doctor with a specialty in sports medicine and who is the race doctor for the Tour Down Under women's race, and we are great friends with the lead physiotherapist for the Australian Paralympic Team- who is here now doing a "house call".

Guess I am pretty lucky after all....

guido
07-02-2015, 06:44 AM
My favorite thought on the topic:

“By your late thirties the ground has begun to grow hard. It grows harder and harder until the day that it admits you.”
― Thomas McGuane, Nobody's Angel

He was writing about breaking horses at the time but it fits real well for bikes too...

Heal fast!

Ken Robb
07-02-2015, 10:45 AM
My favorite thought on the topic:

“By your late thirties the ground has begun to grow hard. It grows harder and harder until the day that it admits you.”
― Thomas McGuane, Nobody's Angel

He was writing about breaking horses at the time but it fits real well for bikes too...

Heal fast!

Certainly true for rugby players.

numbskull
07-02-2015, 05:47 PM
At least when you get to 60 when you get hurt you can't remember it.

bironi
07-02-2015, 06:18 PM
Bummer. Listen to your body and heal well.

I've always been amazed by how quickly one can go from being upright on the bike to being on the ground. When it's happened to me it seemed like a teeny fraction of a second.

I call that "The hand of God" slamming me down.
I don't bounce either in my 60s', and the healing is slower.
This sht I remember.

Scuzzer
07-02-2015, 06:41 PM
My second to last fall resulted in 23 stitches in my face and my last fall ended in broken ribs. Whatever happened to simple road rash? I'm thinking that being 50 is not an advantage and I've made a vow never to fall off again. Good luck in your healing, I know what you're going through.

makoti
07-02-2015, 06:53 PM

My partner just happens to be a doctor with a specialty in sports medicine and who is the race doctor for the Tour Down Under women's race, and we are great friends with the lead physiotherapist for the Australian Paralympic Team- who is here now doing a "house call".

Next time I crash, I'll make sure to do it at your house. ;)

gemship
07-02-2015, 07:51 PM

Ha,ha you're a riot but even though you have all that professional support at your whimsy you still needed to be a big baby and cry to the world....ahhhh. It's OK:bike:

I'm kidding of course.

Drmojo
07-02-2015, 07:54 PM
14 weeks after truck hit me and ribs still hurt
Xray today revealed femur fx still not healed?!👿👿👿😐
but i am riding 80 miles a week, slowly
I hope you heal quicker than me!!🙀😾😾

Fiertetimestwo
07-02-2015, 08:55 PM
Ha,ha you're a riot but even though you have all that professional support at your whimsy you still needed to be a big baby and cry to the world....ahhhh. It's OK:bike:

I'm kidding of course.

Yes, well- "professional support" one thing- but "sympathy" is quite another ;)

pbarry
07-02-2015, 09:26 PM
Ice is your friend, but you know that.. We're here for you. :beer:

shovelhd
07-02-2015, 10:39 PM
Heal up.

Scuzzer
07-03-2015, 01:55 AM
Xray today revealed femur fx still not healed?!

Wow man, I have to remember to stop complaining about my issues. Hope you heal up as well.

Fiertetimestwo
07-03-2015, 02:31 AM
Xray today revealed femur fx still not healed?!��������
I hope you heal quicker than me!!������

Far out! I will try to remember how lucky I am to have gotten away with scratches, bruises and a sore back. Hope you are back to full speed soon!

TomP
07-03-2015, 06:41 AM
I wish you fast healing. While we don't bounce well, and that continues to decrease, hopefully you were able to roll a bit to deflect some of the blunt force. Bon Courage!

TomP
07-03-2015, 06:43 AM
Xray today revealed femur fx still not healed?!👿👿👿😐
I hope you heal quicker than me!!🙀😾😾

Oh man...my thoughts and well wishes are with you.