PDA

View Full Version : Pantani, Pantani on NETFLIX!!!!!!

velomonkey
07-01-2015, 08:46 PM
For those with Netflix they just started streaming Pantani: The Accidental Death of a Cyclist (http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/pantani_the_accidental_death_of_a_cyclist/) - 81% on rotten tomatoes.

Start steaming, get your HD quality 90s cycling on!!!!!

bobswire
07-01-2015, 08:51 PM
Thanks, added to my list.

Veloo
07-01-2015, 08:52 PM
Thanks. On the Canadian side too.

warren128
07-01-2015, 08:59 PM
Wow! Thanks for the heads-up. I added it to my watchlist. :beer:

It was hugely entertaining to watch Pantani and co. during his TDF heyday.

R3awak3n
07-01-2015, 09:05 PM
watching it now. Thanks for posting about it.

bcroslin
07-01-2015, 09:20 PM
sweet!

velomonkey
07-01-2015, 09:43 PM
Best line from the movie

"in the 90s winning a bike race became calculated and was no longer won on inspiration."

And Berzin - holy moly - brother got HUGE.

warren128
07-02-2015, 01:59 AM
I just finished watching it. I couldn't stop once I started. :hello:

I really enjoyed it, very well done.

Dr Luxurious
07-02-2015, 08:51 AM
COOL!!!!

I didn't think I'd ever get to see this.

THANKS!!

DCilliams
07-02-2015, 09:22 AM
Thanks for the heads up! Finally, something worth watching on Netflix. What the hell happened to the movie selection?

cmg
07-02-2015, 10:34 AM
excellent film, enjoyed watching it. thanks for notice.

joosttx
07-02-2015, 10:46 AM
I watched it last night. thanks for alerting me. I thought it was very good much better than the book.

cdn_bacon
07-02-2015, 10:54 AM
thanks for sharing!

Don't forget to watch Clean Spirit as well!

Michael Maddox
07-02-2015, 01:28 PM
It's a great story, but the doping segments relied heavily on constant footage of the centrifuge and syringes...over and over and over and over....to the point of distraction. My non-cycling office-mate found it distracting as well, and said it detracts from the viewer's compassion for Pantani.

I'd love to see this done in a shorter cut without all the attempts to dramatize a story that is already dramatic.

Andare con Dio, cara Pirata.

Tickdoc
07-02-2015, 02:08 PM
so glad it finally came over. I'll have to check it out this weekend. thanks for the heads up.

Tickdoc
07-02-2015, 02:10 PM
such a neat old bike, and right at the cusp of everything changing.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/marco-pantanis-1998-mercatone-uno-bianchi-mega-pro-xl-reparto-corse

ik2280
07-02-2015, 02:21 PM

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/marco-pantanis-1998-mercatone-uno-bianchi-mega-pro-xl-reparto-corse

Did Pantani really run a 44 inner chainring with an 11-23 cassette? Damn.

Tharmor
07-02-2015, 06:25 PM
I will be watching this tonight.

jwess1234
07-02-2015, 07:17 PM
Thanks for the heads up--watching tonight.

many_styles
07-02-2015, 08:21 PM
Added!

deechee
07-02-2015, 08:22 PM
I'm impressed. Available with Netflix Canada too!

climbgdh
07-03-2015, 01:26 AM
I'm impressed. Available with Netflix Canada too!

+1..... it was my excuse to finally get Netflix. Excellent documentary.

commonguy001
07-03-2015, 05:31 AM
Totally worth watching, it really brings you back.
Thanks for the heads up!!

metalheart
07-03-2015, 08:20 AM
I watched it last night and it was well worth the time. i was occupied with life during the time he was racing and I only know the name, so getting the big picture about him was useful.

There is one clip of him on a climb being chased by a fellow described as the "world's best climber" at the time and Pantini pulls away from him so impressively that either he was an incredibly gifted athlete or .... Anyway, an impressive rider and a sad ending.

Climb01742
07-03-2015, 08:48 AM

i wonder who_actually_built it?

Auk
07-03-2015, 09:49 AM
Good video and you know you're cemented in an era when you can call out the names of the riders you havent seen racing for almost ten years.

Berzin and LeMond look like they've been eating at the same deli.

gforce
07-03-2015, 01:01 PM
Gotta agree with michael about filmakers attempt
to over dramatize certain segments. Loved the early
interviews with Pantini - such a brilliant talent.
The timeline of his demise was brutually short.
Would have been great to see him have a long
career. Such an emotional and passionate figure.

mktng
07-03-2015, 01:03 PM
never knew the story.
what a career.

lance is a dick.

mg2ride
07-03-2015, 01:21 PM
never knew the story.
what a career.

The French are a bunch of dicks.

Tickdoc
07-03-2015, 05:01 PM
Drama, speculation, and all.

I thought it was extremely well done and the footage was excellent.

Brought back some great memories watching the tour then.

Dopers, cheaters, whatever you want to call me they are incredibly gifted (even the douchebags) I'm in awe of even the last guys ability to hump it over the alps by the end of the day.

I loved watching Floyd shoot up the mountain in '06 and just knew he was innocent. I felt terrible when I found out he was not, and that is what ruined my perception of the lot of them.

I still rank Dave Z. As an all time fav, along with Pantani. Never cared for lance, based on attitude alone.

Shame the system was rigged the way it was, but still in awe of them all.....well, most of them.

toadbike
07-03-2015, 05:14 PM
Great film, so sad that the Italian's didn't love him again until after he died.

Ray
07-03-2015, 05:17 PM
never knew the story.
what a career.

The French are a bunch of dicks.
What'd the French do? His fall began when he was booted out of the '99 Giro. He claimed he was set up. I don't know that there are any specific villains, but if there were, it was more likely his own countrymen - the Italians. The French didn't do anything to him...

-Ray

Wesley37
07-03-2015, 05:25 PM
1:26ish Nailed it on the head.

beeatnik
07-03-2015, 05:47 PM
Had been ignoring Netflix for over a year. Forgot I had set up paypal billing. So, after the Pantani doc, I watched Stop At Nothing. Yikes, talk about two extreme poles of tragic figure archetypes.

mcteague
07-03-2015, 07:37 PM
Good film. Funny how they never mentioned his nickname before the rather dubious il Pirata, Elefantino!

Tim

binxnyrwarrsoul
07-03-2015, 07:42 PM
lance is a dick.

And a rat.

mcteague
07-03-2015, 07:47 PM
And a rat.

Hey, let us not go disparaging rats!

Tim

Black Dog
07-03-2015, 08:18 PM
What'd the French do? His fall began when he was booted out of the '99 Giro. He claimed he was set up. I don't know that there are any specific villains, but if there were, it was more likely his own countrymen - the Italians. The French didn't do anything to him...

-Ray

Ray. You have been trolled.

JAllen
07-03-2015, 09:16 PM
Great film, so sad that the Italian's didn't love him again until after he died.

Absolutely ^

What his mom said at the end regarding sending her boy out do a sport that should have been constructive, positive, and the like, ended up being so negative/destructive once he got to a professional level. It's so tragic...

I honestly don't know much about the sport, but from what I've gathered (reading threads, watching other documentaries, and reading other sources now that I'm interested) is that it is ruined by any force beyond the simple bicycle, rider, and course combination.

Tharmor
07-03-2015, 11:56 PM
Watched it. Got educated. Thanks for the heads up. Pantani was a beast. CIP

rwsaunders
07-04-2015, 06:50 AM
Good flick and thanks for posting...not to take away from the tradgedy, but the most impressive segment for me was Pantani barreling down a descent in a storm while putting on his rain cape.

Ray
07-04-2015, 08:31 AM
Ray. You have been trolled.

Not for the first time, and surely not the last... :cool:

peanutgallery
07-04-2015, 10:55 AM
Berlin, wow

Big as his, bet he would stol pummel in US. Butt cut and all

gary135r
07-04-2015, 11:19 AM
thanks for the heads up

cmg
07-04-2015, 11:23 AM
"What his mom said at the end regarding sending her boy out do a sport that should have been constructive, positive, and the like, ended up being so negative/destructive once he got to a professional level."

When Pantani's mom said that 1999 was the first time gambling was allowed and then others chimed in on the events of that year. very plausible.....

tumbler
07-04-2015, 02:35 PM
Just finished it this morning. Awesome movie. Thanks for sharing.

Gern
07-05-2015, 03:04 PM
I watched it this weekend with my wife. We really enjoyed it. I still have a pink Mercatone Uno jersey, and I came close to buying a Bianchi Reparto Corse back then. I am a fan, and I am not ignorant of the transgressions of the era. There is tragedy enough to go around. I love cycling. I don't love the "sport," but I love the embodiment of sacrifice, daring and determination that is shown by many riders. Thanks, Marco, for that.

oldpotatoe
07-05-2015, 03:54 PM
Liked it, sad, the pressure to bounce an Italian from the Giro on next to last day. Some very 'powerful' people involved on both sides.

velomonkey
07-05-2015, 04:00 PM
Liked it, sad, the pressure to bounce an Italian from the Giro on next to last day. Some very 'powerful' people involved on both sides.

That was really the only thing I learned watching it, never paid that close attention back in the day. Really did feel bad for the guy - he doped for sure, but damn, when he climbed standing on the peddles for what seemed like forever it always seemed crazy.

Armstrong on the race radio was totally nuts, too. I knew for certain in 2000 something wasn't right there.

Elder Spud - did you see some of the pics of Big Mig in the flick? Only time in my life I ever thought "wow, I guess I miss Big Mig" - he looked so fluid and the quill stem and his position was just spot on. I guess I couldn't stand him back then cause his tactics to win were such a bore.

Rpoole8537
07-05-2015, 09:00 PM
I miss Big Mig, as well. The son of a farmer, right? I liked his tactics. Don't let anyone drop you in the mountains, then blow them away in the TT. They knew it was coming and yet, they could not stop him. My GF is from Spain and I told her on our third date that I loved Big Mig. She hasn't stopped kissing me since. Now, has his name ever been listed on any of the lists from the Italian and/or Spanish doctors? Please tell, I can take it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mcteague
07-06-2015, 06:06 AM
I miss Big Mig, as well. The son of a farmer, right? I liked his tactics. Don't let anyone drop you in the mountains, then blow them away in the TT. They knew it was coming and yet, they could not stop him. My GF is from Spain and I told her on our third date that I loved Big Mig. She hasn't stopped kissing me since. Now, has his name ever been listed on any of the lists from the Italian and/or Spanish doctors? Please tell, I can take it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Really? I was sure he was doped to the gills when someone his size kept up with the tiny climbers in the mountains. Before that, he was just a domestique for Delgado. Fluid rider, to be sure, but one of the most boring winners to watch that I can remember. Rail the TTs and just hang on the other stages, yawn.

Tim

oldpotatoe
07-06-2015, 06:12 AM
That was really the only thing I learned watching it, never paid that close attention back in the day. Really did feel bad for the guy - he doped for sure, but damn, when he climbed standing on the peddles for what seemed like forever it always seemed crazy.

Armstrong on the race radio was totally nuts, too. I knew for certain in 2000 something wasn't right there.

Elder Spud - did you see some of the pics of Big Mig in the flick? Only time in my life I ever thought "wow, I guess I miss Big Mig" - he looked so fluid and the quill stem and his position was just spot on. I guess I couldn't stand him back then cause his tactics to win were such a bore.

And he looked like such a big guy..met him when he traveled to Boulder, when Hampsten was with Banesto, actually not that big,not that tall, barrel chest, 3 lungs? Looking back, sad times, easy to get angry too.

keppler
07-28-2015, 06:20 AM
I enjoyed the Pantani movie, wish there'd been more to see about his racing days and leading up to his death. Like Lance (or do they call him Voldemort now?) he displayed insane ability on the bike as a kid.

I'vs also watched both Lance downfall movies (Armstrong Lie, Stop At Nothing) and now understand what an @$$ Lance was to pretty much everyone.

I'm not a fan of any drugs or doping, but I'm realistic enough to understand that these guys had unreal genetics and insane courage to ride the races they did for years. It's too bad the drugs overshadow so much of their accomplishments.

On another note, from a technical perspective, watching these guys on steel bikes with 32 spoke tubular wheels and downtube shifters, bombing down steep mountain passes, really makes you think about how 'necessary' a 14 lbs carbon frame and wheels are these days...:rolleyes:

jlwdm
07-28-2015, 01:02 PM
And he looked like such a big guy..met him when he traveled to Boulder, when Hampsten was with Banesto, actually not that big,not that tall, barrel chest, 3 lungs? Looking back, sad times, easy to get angry too.

Indurain is 6' 2".

Jeff