PDA

View Full Version : best wool jerseys

bicycletricycle
07-01-2015, 02:49 PM
I really like wool and wool blend jerseys.

I have a variety of them, like Rapha brevet the most.

what woolys do you guys like?

warren128
07-01-2015, 02:56 PM
I like my Road Holland wool blend jersey.

bicycletricycle
07-01-2015, 02:59 PM
crap, wrong place, can you move these things?

bicycletricycle
07-01-2015, 03:19 PM
I like my Road Holland wool blend jersey.

which road holland model is it?

rnhood
07-01-2015, 03:31 PM
Ibex for me. Can't wear them in hot weather (>80) but they work very nice in cool and cold weather. Their base layers are the very best imho.

ANAO
07-01-2015, 03:35 PM
I like Rapha too. The lightweight jersey works up to 85 or so for me.

Club jersey for anything below 75 is nice.

fiamme red
07-01-2015, 03:40 PM
I like Rapha too. The lightweight jersey works up to 85 or so for me.

Club jersey for anything below 75 is nice.Rapha's Lightweight jersey is 21% merino, 79% polyester. Club jersey is 40% merino, 60% polyester.

ANAO
07-01-2015, 03:47 PM
Rapha's Lightweight jersey is 21% merino, 79% polyester. Club jersey is 40% merino, 60% polyester.

That corroborates with my comfort preferences.

p nut
07-01-2015, 04:04 PM
I haven't made the purchase, but will be buying some from http://www.vintagevelos.com/

warren128
07-01-2015, 04:25 PM
which road holland model is it?

It's the Arnhem, but it has been discontinued now. It's a long sleeve, full zip model, which is perfect for the foggy summer mornings here in San Francisco. :)

JimmyTango
07-01-2015, 05:24 PM
Eleven velo sponsors the site and makes AMAZING lightweight wool jerseys. Super good stuff.

DHallerman
07-01-2015, 05:54 PM
I haven't made the purchase, but will be buying some from http://www.vintagevelos.com/

I love Woolistic-manufactured jerseys, whether from Vintage Velos or, over the years, from other sources (Boure and Rivendell to name two). Not too heavy, not too light, and 100% wool.

But Vintage Velos seems to have far fewer jersey designs for sale than they did, say, four years ago.

Wonder why?

chwupper
07-01-2015, 05:55 PM
Eleven velo sponsors the site and makes AMAZING lightweight wool jerseys. Super good stuff.

I'll second this.

cinema
07-01-2015, 06:10 PM
ibex, if you can get them on sale they are an absolute steal. i got a 100% usa made full zip for around $50 last year

thinpin
07-01-2015, 06:29 PM
I'll second this.
Another shout for elevenvelo.
:beer:

choke
07-01-2015, 06:49 PM
I have jerseys from Woolistic, Ibex, Santini, DeMarchi (blend) and Torm (blend). If I had to choose one brand it would be Woolistic hands down. The Torm are quite nice IMO for a blend. I would like to try Eleven Velo and Soigneur though.

But Vintage Velos seems to have far fewer jersey designs for sale than they did, say, four years ago.

Wonder why?I've noticed that as well. My guess is that with the increased popularity of wool jerseys they've been kept busy doing custom work, but who knows for sure?

Dirtdiggler
07-01-2015, 07:21 PM
+1 Woolistic Molteni

Andrevich4
07-01-2015, 07:49 PM
Ibex for me. Can't wear them in hot weather (>80) but they work very nice in cool and cold weather. Their base layers are the very best imho.

Yep, I agree. They're my wet weather kit. I use the bibs, jersey, knee and arm warmers.

I've also got a woolistic jersey from vintage velos is really nice. Wore it at L'Eroica last year and would wear it around town if it weren't a little snug -- er, pro fit. Definitely high quality and so much better than the knockoffs. Wish they'd come out with more styles, too.

Bertleman
07-01-2015, 08:44 PM
I have a number of them and they are the best

p nut
07-01-2015, 09:18 PM
I love Woolistic-manufactured jerseys, whether from Vintage Velos or, over the years, from other sources (Boure and Rivendell to name two). Not too heavy, not too light, and 100% wool.

Wonder why?

I tried to buy some last year, but they were having website issues. When I emailed to inquire about buying a couple, I was told that they were short on supply and that I should check back in a couple of weeks after they had chance to fix the website and get more in. Month later, still issues on the site and still no inventory, so got put on the back burner.

elevenvelo
07-01-2015, 09:43 PM
Thanks guys! We're trying hard :D

JLP
07-02-2015, 12:29 AM
I've had mixed luck with Woolistic. Some wear well. Others not so much.

jr59
07-02-2015, 06:04 AM
I like the Road Holland stuff. The Hilversum and the Arnhem, but I live in the deep south and they are just winter jerseys for me.

I've had both for more than a few years now. Plus the fit my fat self!

bart998
07-02-2015, 12:22 PM
Kucharik. Great stuff at great prices... and they're local to me so I just go over and pick-up stuff when needed.

bironi
07-02-2015, 06:27 PM
Thanks guys! We're trying hard :D

I may try one if you can fix your hat color routine to allow for a solid brim color.
I like to see what I might see when I receive the package from the other side of the world.
I'm serious. I'd give you a shot.

bicycletricycle
07-02-2015, 06:50 PM
I'm tall and a little pudgy, I wonder who makes the longest jerseys?

I don't think anyone offers a long version, do they?

goonster
07-02-2015, 07:31 PM
There was a time when people complained that the Ibex jerseys were too long.

However, I believe they took that feedback to heart and redesigned them, so I don't know how their fit compares to others these days.

Hey, extending the length of a wool jersey is easy. Just load up the pockets with phone, food and tools! :)

My favorites are Woolistic, no question. It's an old-school product executed perfectly. Fine wool, beautiful chainstitch, very good durability for me*. All mine are customs bought through clubs, so I never dealt with VV directly. I understand they are a pain to get, with very long lead times. (One club ordered them almost a year in advance of PBP, and when it looked like they couldn't deliver in time, the club jumped ship for a different vendor. And I'm disappointed to this day. :( )

I also really liked the "2nd gen", green label Swobos, from just before they ceased operations the first time.

(* = I love them too much to machine wash them)

etu
07-03-2015, 02:41 PM
Pure wool is nice for traveling
When I was visiting Seattle this year my ibex jersey was good for three rides without washing. Very convenient when staying at a hotel.

Netdewt
07-03-2015, 03:43 PM
I really like my Torm, although the colors are pretty blah. I'm wishing for a short sleeve lately.

It's the only jersey I have that doesn't reek after 1 use.

elevenvelo
07-03-2015, 06:06 PM
If you're thinking wool..... :beer:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?p=1783415#post1783415

jmoore
07-04-2015, 09:31 PM

I don't think anyone offers a long version, do they?

I'm 6'5" and both the Torm and Road Holland jerseys are long in the torso.

If I had to choose, the Torm fits me the best. It is slightly fitted but not race cut. Maybe semi-race, if that makes sense. The RH Hilversum is a little more club cut than I prefer but I still wear it a lot. Both of them are wearing well and have gone through a bunch of wash cycles with no problems. Buy either with confidence.

I'll have to try and ElevenVelo soon.

jmoore
07-04-2015, 10:17 PM
I'll have to try and ElevenVelo soon.

Really soon. I just ordered with the 15% off code. Can't wait!

Bob Ross
07-06-2015, 09:11 AM

^^^This seems like a post I would have written!
I definitely love the Ibex base layers. And I definitely agree that the Ibex jerseys tend to be warmer than an equivalently-styled synthetic, such that their short-sleeved jersey is really too warm for hot summer days.

I'm hesitant to claim that Ibex are the "best wool jerseys" though, because their sizing is incomprehensible...and/or just plain sucks. They wouldn't know a Race Fit if it punched them in the face, and their Club Fit must be for a club of overweight former basketball players.

Netdewt
07-06-2015, 09:12 AM

Can anyone not connected to the company discuss the fit and durability?

jmoore, waiting to hear.

elevenvelo
07-06-2015, 07:12 PM
Can anyone not connected to the company discuss the fit and durability?

jmoore, waiting to hear.

Late on the piece in this one...

Fit... that's a hard one. We find pretty much everyone we send kit to says the fit is good. Not sure how that answers the question as there are so many variables when it comes to fit but in general we'd say that out jerseys fit close but not 'race', as you can't do a race fit in Merino and are generally of a good length i.e. our jersey's are never too short.

Our Bibs and Knicks are firm, much more so than most brands, as we tend to use much firmer fabrics. The amount of repeat orders we have for them must mean people get used to it and like it!

Durability wise, that really comes down to how you take care of your kit. Generally with good washing and care practices, I'd say years, just watch out for things in the wardrobe that like to nibble wool. In a crash, the Merino holds up remarkably well... as I found out again a few weeks back.

Does that help any?

Cheers,

Gerard

metalheart
07-06-2015, 09:28 PM
I have Torm, Road Holland, Earth Wind and Rider, and Wabi Woolens. When the temps get cold not much compares to the Wabi jersey. For fall and spring, the Torm is very nice and for cool to cold the EWR is fine too (I have the older version of this jersey).

Eleven and Soigneur are on my list, especially the Eleven for three season riding.