PDA

View Full Version : Look 585 v. IF Crown Jewel

CaptStash
07-01-2015, 02:32 PM
So I have a bit of a first world problem. I just pulled the trigger on a Look 585 that will fit me. I bought it with an eye towards flipping it if it didn't fit me. If I do keep it, I'll pull the 7800 group off of it and rebuild it with the Campy Record 10 that is currently on my (steel) IF Crown Jewel and sell the IF.

So here's my question - in your opinion, why should I keep one over the other?

No doubt I love the IF, but it is just a hair too big, and I am really liking the idea of being able to ride a bike with a longer stem.

I will need quite a bit of saddle to bar drop on the Look.

The IF is currently my "rain" bike, since there is no way I can fender my Blue AC1.

I am only keeping one or the other.

Go ahead and blast away.

CaptStash....

eBAUMANN
07-01-2015, 02:42 PM
if the look fits you better than the IF, keep the look.
both will be build up into great bikes but fit > everything.

lemme know if you sell that DA7800 group...got a friend looking for some parts for his first road bike ;)

tv_vt
07-01-2015, 02:44 PM
Why are you asking this question if you just bought the Look? Wouldn't a few rides help to answer the question for you?

Check back in a few weeks after you've been able to compare the ride and fit of both of them.

Ken Robb
07-01-2015, 03:31 PM
Why are you asking this question if you just bought the Look? Wouldn't a few rides help to answer the question for you?

Check back in a few weeks after you've been able to compare the ride and fit of both of them.

My thoughts exactly. When I try new bikes I tend to notice things it might do better than my old bikes but it takes me a few longer rides to notice things that it doesn't do as well as my older bikes. The longer tests often convince me to stick with my tried and true favorites.

:rolleyes: Oh, who am I kidding? I keep them all------------for quite a while. I've sold several nice bikes to people I loaned them to when they just didn't want to give them back. :D

oldpotatoe
07-01-2015, 05:07 PM
So I have a bit of a first world problem. I just pulled the trigger on a Look 585 that will fit me. I bought it with an eye towards flipping it if it didn't fit me. If I do keep it, I'll pull the 7800 group off of it and rebuild it with the Campy Record 10 that is currently on my (steel) IF Crown Jewel and sell the IF.

So here's my question - in your opinion, why should I keep one over the other?

No doubt I love the IF, but it is just a hair too big, and I am really liking the idea of being able to ride a bike with a longer stem.

I will need quite a bit of saddle to bar drop on the Look.

The IF is currently my "rain" bike, since there is no way I can fender my Blue AC1.

I am only keeping one or the other.

Go ahead and blast away.

CaptStash....

If both fit, I'd keep the IF, no question but fit is key. Flip the 585 and get an IF that fits.

saab2000
07-01-2015, 05:10 PM
If the Look is an XL PM me. It's very simple.

Chris
07-01-2015, 08:19 PM

You just bought one. I have dibs on the next.

saab2000
07-01-2015, 08:55 PM
You just bought one. I have dibs on the next.

Understood.... I'm still working on getting the build right for the white one. Not quite sure of which direction for this...

CaptStash
07-01-2015, 09:14 PM
Understood.... I'm still working on getting the build right for the white one. Not quite sure of which direction for this...

All you giants can stand down. It's a 56 - whatever that means. We'll see when it fetches up on my doorstep!

CaptStash....

mktng
07-01-2015, 10:25 PM
Need information on that IF CJ. :)!

Wolfman
07-01-2015, 10:39 PM
First world problems, indeed. I'll weigh in because I've actually got both, and have decided that for me, the Look is like 10-15% better.

I'll keep both because the IF, with a great set of wheels, is a really, really nice ride. Great balance and frame response over all types of riding. It's got a less responsive front end, though, and can feel a bit slow to me in heads-up, mix-it-up-with-traffic urban riding.

My 585 is just more comfortable, lighter, and more precise in 99% of situations, but can feel sluggish in the rear when I really push a big, seated gear, which always disappoints me on the rare occasion that it happens.

Overall, you can't go wrong with either, but as was said before, if one feels too big for you, it's gotta go.

Peter P.
07-02-2015, 05:16 AM
If both fit, I'd keep the IF, no question but fit is key. Flip the 585 and get an IF that fits.

Exactly.

I'm puzzled why the IF is large for the OP; I'd expect it to fit properly, being custom. Was it bought used?

CaptStash
07-02-2015, 07:33 AM
Exactly.

I'm puzzled why the IF is large for the OP; I'd expect it to fit properly, being custom. Was it bought used?

Yes Peter, bought used. I was designed by committee, long legs, short torso and arms like Stretch Armstrong. I tend to ride bikes that are bigger than you'd expect for a 5-10+ guy.

My fitter has suggested I try a smaller bike since I am fairly flexible. So that's the story.

CaptStash....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gordito
07-02-2015, 07:42 AM
I can't fully appreciate a frame that doesn't fit perfectly, even more if it's too big. Pass it along, ride the Look and when you'll need something a bit more special, check the classifieds.

tumbler
07-02-2015, 08:03 AM

If the IF is a 54-55, PM me. It's very simple.

ik2280
07-02-2015, 08:17 AM
If the IF is a 54-55, PM me. It's very simple.

If the LOOK is a 56 (which is a L, I think) and the IF is too big, it's going to be a 57-58, I bet.

buddybikes
07-02-2015, 08:21 AM
get rid of both and get a new custom IF that fits like a glove and has appropriate bells and whistles. Less space, more fun, perfect fit

Pastashop
07-02-2015, 09:32 AM
"The bike is slightly adjustable and the body is somewhat adaptable." Forget who said that...

At the same time, a bike that both fits and behaves well – for the kind of riding you do and the kind of rider you are right now – is such a joy...

soulspinner
07-02-2015, 09:44 AM
get rid of both and get a new custom IF that fits like a glove and has appropriate bells and whistles. Less space, more fun, perfect fit

Im with THIS :hello:

CaptStash
07-02-2015, 07:30 PM
Im with THIS :hello:

Lovely thought. No $$ for that! The switch (if I make it) will be revenue neutral!

CaptStash....

soulspinner
07-03-2015, 08:09 AM
:bike:

CaptStash
07-04-2015, 04:58 PM
The Look showed up on Friday. I put it together and took it for a short spin this morning. Love the way it handles and llet pretty good on rough pavement. Next I'll see about matching the IF's set-up to the more aggressive set-up on the Look, which is the direction I have been heading.

So far though, I am really liking the Look.

CaptStash....

mistermo
07-04-2015, 05:09 PM
The Look showed up on Friday. I put it together and took it for a short spin this morning. Love the way it handles and llet pretty good on rough pavement. Next I'll see about matching the IF's set-up to the more aggressive set-up on the Look, which is the direction I have been heading.

So far though, I am really liking the Look.

CaptStash....

Saturday: Just got in from a ride on my 585 Ultra. Like it too. Really, I can't see a reason to change bikes, though my eye always wanders.

Sunday edit: Rode today with a guy who's having hip replacement surgery on Wed. We rode about 15mph, pretty slowly. The 585 was twitchy. Rant over.

sjbraun
07-04-2015, 07:29 PM
I really like my 585. I can't imagine how modern carbon bikes could be any better. And since I'm quite satisfied with my current bike selection, I don't want to know if a Super Six Evo would make my cycling heart swoon.

axel23
07-05-2015, 07:20 AM
585 rules...

CaptStash
07-05-2015, 05:04 PM
So here is the latest:

I rode the Look on a 54 mile ride today. did some fast group riding and a little climbing. This bike does very well on rough roads, and handles superbly. I know that some of the beautiful handling is due to my lower COG, but some is clearly a very well designed and executed bike. It is at the very least, on a par with the IF in handling, and certainly "feels" quicker.

As I mentioned above, the next step will be to significantly adjust my set-up on the IF. The Look is set with a lot of saddle to bar drop, which is something I have been creeping up to and am now realizing feels pretty danged good.

As of today though, it looks like the IF's days are numbered....