PDA

View Full Version : Paging OP and other Campyphiles: compatibility question

KJMUNC
07-01-2015, 01:29 PM
Building up my Lemond Z-team bike and have a nice 9 speed Chorus/Record group with pointy-hood shifters (and planning to add Deltas to round it out).

Looking to keep the 9 speed set up, but I prefer the 8 speed/hidden arm Record crankset to the 9 speed version. I know they require different BB's (111 vs. 102), but here's my question: can I just swap 9 speed rings onto 8 speed Record cranks?

I believe 8 speed gearing is like 1mm wider, so I don't think I can just use the 8 speed crankset/rings with a 9 speed chain, but correct me if I'm wrong.

Any thoughts/advice? Thanks!

choke
07-01-2015, 01:59 PM
I'm using an 8sp Campy MTB crank and rings with a 10sp cassette and it shifts fine IMO. The rings have no ramps/pins so it's not as fast as the newer stuff but there's no issue with the chain.

I don't see why you couldn't swap the rings...the only problem you might run in to is that the bolts might not want to tighten down all the way.

Mark McM
07-01-2015, 02:24 PM
Looking to keep the 9 speed set up, but I prefer the 8 speed/hidden arm Record crankset to the 9 speed version. I know they require different BB's (111 vs. 102), but here's my question: can I just swap 9 speed rings onto 8 speed Record cranks?

Yes, you can. Or you can continue to use the 8spd rings (which work fine with a 9spd chain) until they wear out and then replacing them with 9spd rings.

Cranks/chainrings are much more tolerant of drivetrain mismatches than derailleurs/cassettes.

FlashUNC
07-01-2015, 02:42 PM
Just run the crank you've got till the rings die. It won't know if you don't tell it.

thirdgenbird
07-01-2015, 03:10 PM
8 and 9spd rings are the same as far as I know. The 10spd large ring is milled to bring it closer to the small ring. The 11spd is milled further.

KJMUNC
07-01-2015, 03:24 PM
Great input....thanks guys. Didn't know the 8/9 compatibility was so close on crankset/chains so I'll just run it as is.

thanks!

Kerry

thirdgenbird
07-01-2015, 03:26 PM
Campag actually recommends a 9spd chain with 8spd systems. You are good to go.

oldpotatoe
07-01-2015, 05:02 PM
Building up my Lemond Z-team bike and have a nice 9 speed Chorus/Record group with pointy-hood shifters (and planning to add Deltas to round it out).

I believe 8 speed gearing is like 1mm wider, so I don't think I can just use the 8 speed crankset/rings with a 9 speed chain, but correct me if I'm wrong.

Any thoughts/advice? Thanks!

9s chain works fine with 8s rings. Rings aren't fatter, just big ring(9s) closer to small ring.

So you cn put 9or 10s rings om there but you dont need to. The 9s rings, with pins nd ramps and uh, shift better under load but the 8s rings would work/shift fine with some 'cycling finesse', let up on pedal pressure when shifting.