PDA

View Full Version : Merckx Team SC owners- the fork question

sandyrs
07-01-2015, 01:06 PM
I have and love a Team SC. However, it has the infamous loose headset problem- no matter how tight the headset is clamped down, it always comes loose, seemingly because the expander plug is not large enough to properly grip the steerer walls.

Team SC owners, have you experienced this? What did you do to fix it? As I see it I have a couple options:

1) Deal with it
2) Glue in the expander, which could be stupid
3) Get a new fork with normal steerer walls

Thanks.

eBAUMANN
07-01-2015, 01:18 PM
not all expander plugs are the same quality/diameter...maybe try a few different ones?

KJMUNC
07-01-2015, 01:21 PM
I dealt with this.....took a new Team SC to France in the summer of '03 and realized this was a problem the day I unpacked my bike (stupid me for taking a new build with no miles on it), which was at the beginning of a two week trip. Freaked me out the entire trip, especially descending the Tourmalet at 60mph+

When I got home my mechanic (another forumite) epoxied the starnut inside the steerer and I never had another issue with it.

Might have been stupid but it worked for me!

GregL
07-01-2015, 01:24 PM
I'm a fan of the KCNC expander plug: https://fairwheelbikes.com/kcnc-expander-plug-p-1189.html. It fits steerer tubes with larger internal diameters better than other expander plugs I have used. I have the KCNC plugs in two different carbon steerer forks with no issues noted.

- Greg