PDA

View Full Version : 5800 FD setup

cinema
07-01-2015, 03:06 AM
So I took on this project for a friend where I set up his newfangled 11s 5800 group. besides the silly derailleur cable "tongues," apparently the front derailleur has something called a "converter" tab to guide the cable in one of two directions before being clamped down. I believe this one is damaged and unsalvageable based on the fact that the "converter" has been sheered off, if someone can lend an eye and let me know whether i'm right or not(See pic).

I don't know if it came this way or if I damaged it, but I assume I will need to order a whole new derailleur for this stupid little part, right? Seems like very poor construction on the part of shimano. I haven't even used it yet!

http://i59.tinypic.com/29b2fb4.jpg

oldpotatoe
07-01-2015, 06:07 AM
So I took on this project for a friend where I set up his newfangled 11s 5800 group. besides the silly derailleur cable "tongues," apparently the front derailleur has something called a "converter" tab to guide the cable in one of two directions before being clamped down. I believe this one is damaged and unsalvageable based on the fact that the "converter" has been sheered off, if someone can lend an eye and let me know whether i'm right or not(See pic).

I don't know if it came this way or if I damaged it, but I assume I will need to order a whole new derailleur for this stupid little part, right? Seems like very poor construction on the part of shimano. I haven't even used it yet!

http://i59.tinypic.com/29b2fb4.jpg

I'd try it w/o it but yes, small part, number YP5122000, but I really doubt you'll find one. Interesting that altho the 'design' of the 11s front ders are 'similar, all have little differences like this(altho this little doohicky is the same for 6800 front der).

jmal
07-01-2015, 06:38 AM
Because I'm not running 11spd I googled them and I must say it seems like Shimano has taken what is normally a simple piece of equipment and made it more complex and more finicky than need be. For those that have been using the 11spd groups, am I wrong? Is it more intuitive with the derailleur in front of you than it sounds by reading instructions?

oldpotatoe
07-01-2015, 06:42 AM
Because I'm not running 11spd I googled them and I must say it seems like Shimano has taken what is normally a simple piece of equipment and made it more complex and more finicky than need be. For those that have been using the 11spd groups, am I wrong? Is it more intuitive with the derailleur in front of you than it sounds by reading instructions?

No..Campagnolo achieved this silky smooth front der shifting w/o 11 pages of how to set up. It 'can' be daunting, a barrel adjuster is required, this way, that way, under/over/gotta have the unique to that front der guide. Plus once set up, then another 'trim' inward.

cinema
07-01-2015, 08:59 AM
Wow what an idiotic design. Thanks. From the dealer manual it looks like with the prohibitively expensive dura ace FD they replace this cheap plastic part with a metal part that is substantial. what a joke, shim. and I have sang their praises forever.

shovelhd
07-01-2015, 07:27 PM
Try ordering from Shimano USA through your LBS. Do it quickly though as they do not stock a lot of spares. Give them the part number that OP found for you.