PDA

View Full Version : Travel with a bike/case

spokehead
05-01-2006, 09:31 AM
I'm headed to France for a cycling vacation in a month, and I haven't figured out two things about taking my Serotta:
1. I'll take the bike as luggage with an Iron Case. Is it likely that a TSA staffer will unpack it to search, and if so is there anything I can do to make sure it gets repacked properly?
2. I'll be renting a car, and naturally I'd prefer a cheapie, but it's very hard to determine the cargo capacities of economy rentals from the web sites. Can anyone recommend a good rental model or two that'll fit an Iron Case?

Thanks!
Chris

Proxy
05-01-2006, 10:37 AM
just a warning, once you cycle in france it will be very hard to cycle anywhre else - you are in for a real treat.

The iron case is a great way to go – get some threaded rod, washers and bolts and use them in your fork and rear dropouts to make sure nothing is crushed. TSA will most lightly pull apart everything, plan for this – nothing loose in the case unless ti-wrapped – remove the rear del and bubble wrap it – ditto for the pedals and attach them with ti wrap. Same for the saddle/seatpost, etc. If you are lucky and have an all-nude ti frame just drop it in the box – it is the perfect material to travel with, no paint to deal with. For cars go the national site – depending on how many cases you have will determine what you get – for two bikes I like the Volvo wagon for more or if you want to travel with the frames assembled with the cases get a citron minivan. After you make the reservation in the stays, I highly recommend you follow up with the rental place you will be picking the car up from – call them directly and verify that the car is waiting for you and be super clear as to the time you will pick it up. Do not keep any bikes on racks, only locked in the car.

I know you are not looking for tips, but here is one – you should decide if you are going to look at events or ride yourself – nothing will spoil the cols quicker that people waiting for the tour to go by – tons of cars and diesel fumes on the way up a climb and you will be stuck behind cars while trying to enjoy the best descending around – people camp out for weeks ahead of major climbs, so the best time to hit them is weeks afterwards. The tour is shown in the afternoon and the coverage is great, nice to stroll into a bar and watch it anywhere – sounds like you are going before july so good call. The below site is the best around, I rode with Russ a few years ago and some of his friends, talk about fit. Have a safe holiday.

http://www.grenoblecycling.com/index.htm

keno
05-01-2006, 01:00 PM
I went to Argentina last month with my Ottrott in an Iron Case. It was unpacked twice, and sort of put back together correctly, but no harm resulted. The simplicity of the case is a plus. Here's a picture of how I packed the bike, and I protected everything I could. Some don't make a big deal about protecting the tubes, rear deraileur and rings. For the extra hour or so to do it right was something I was happy to do. If you want some of the tips generously passed along to me by Spokes, let me know.

BumbleBeeDave
05-01-2006, 01:10 PM
. . . on the pipe wrap. I do that with mine, too. and though I haven't done that before, probably a good idea to take the derailleur off, too. That gives the frame some clearance insde the box. Otherwise there's just too much chance that when they close it back up some part of the frame will contact the side of the case and if they then drop the case--and they WILL--it can damage things.

Also make sure no pressurized stuff--Co2 cartridges, chain lube, etc--and if you're putting other stuff in there like clothing, helmet, shoes, that it's in clear plastic bags.

I have also heard of--but not seen--a new kind of lock that security has master key to, so they can open and re-lock your case. I'd also recommend typing up instructions with your name, contact point, etc, to put in the case in addition to tags on the outside. Also might be a good idea who can translate it into French for you and include that version in there, too.

BBD

spokehead
05-01-2006, 01:13 PM
Wow, that is a beautiful packaging job! I'd love the Spokes tips - the more info the better. I even thought about taping a "please repack this way" diagram to the underside of the lid, but I thought that might be less than appreciated and even deliberately ignored.

I'm just taking one bike/box, so I assume a small car with a hatchback and 48 inches of available space in any direction will work, but it's very difficult to find actual specs on rental cars, particularly when the code is "or equivalent".

Thanks,
Chris

Serotta PETE
05-01-2006, 02:17 PM
. . . on the pipe wrap. I do that with mine, too.
BBD

Dave, I noticed you still had the pipe wrap on last year at the SEROTTA OPEN - - you need to take it off this year in DC.

Pete

BumbleBeeDave
05-01-2006, 02:23 PM
I had decided to drink only a little when you offered to buy the beer, but after THIS, I'm gonna like a fish on your dime! ;)

BBD

Serotta PETE
05-01-2006, 03:00 PM
I had decided to drink only a little when you offered to buy the beer, but after THIS, I'm gonna like a fish on your dime! ;)

BBD

I have always said you were as sick and crazy as the rest of us.... :)

keno
05-01-2006, 04:48 PM
Last month on my Argentina trip I spent lots of time with Steve Lehman, one hour world record holder for 55+. Sitting on the plane on the way back from Argentina, I realized that I had not let the pressure in the tires down (60 psi is safe according to Iron Case). I figured that the worst would be a blown tire or two. Of course, both were fine and at about 110 psi when I unpacked.

I told this story to Steve and he laughed, telling me that his tires were carrying 190 psi for the world record attempt in England and he never deflated them before packing and nothing happened during the flight back.

So what is the pressure in a CO2 cartridge?

keno

telenick
05-01-2006, 04:58 PM
Avoid TSA and ship via FedEx.

spokehead
05-01-2006, 05:16 PM
I've checked FedEx - the cheapest of the international shippers, but they're over $300 each way, and it's no more than $100 additional to take on the plane. I'd love to ship it - I've done that twice within the continental US since I bought the case and it was cheap and easy, but overseas seems to be prohibitively expensive.

Chris

keno
05-01-2006, 05:51 PM
my understanding is that there isn't usually a charge on international flights for a bike case beyond the usual weight limitations. My only experience was to Argentina, and there was no additional charge.

keno

stevep
05-01-2006, 06:04 PM
usually international if no extra charge. domestic adds $75 or more each way.
i have always used a mt bike box. plenty of room to stash clothing inside.
easy to flatten the box at the end...and then unflatten for the return and i bring a cheap trunk mount bike rack to carry the bike around on the rent a car ( if there is to be one )
i dont go crazy packing but then i dont usually take the A bike either.
great riding around france.
where are you going there?

gone
05-01-2006, 06:24 PM
my understanding is that there isn't usually a charge on international flights for a bike case beyond the usual weight limitations. My only experience was to Argentina, and there was no additional charge.

keno
I think it's been a while since you and stevep flew internationally. There is now a charge on all the major carriers (Delta, United, AA) from the US for anything bigger than 26x26x10 and in my experience, yes they will measure.

gone
05-01-2006, 06:25 PM
I have also heard of--but not seen--a new kind of lock that security has master key to, so they can open and re-lock your case.
BBD
Most luggage stores have them. They're generally labelled "TSA approved".

gone
05-01-2006, 06:30 PM
I'm headed to France for a cycling vacation in a month, and I haven't figured out two things about taking my Serotta:
1. I'll take the bike as luggage with an Iron Case. Is it likely that a TSA staffer will unpack it to search, and if so is there anything I can do to make sure it gets repacked properly?
2. I'll be renting a car, and naturally I'd prefer a cheapie, but it's very hard to determine the cargo capacities of economy rentals from the web sites. Can anyone recommend a good rental model or two that'll fit an Iron Case?

Thanks!
Chris
In my experience (4 trips to Europe with a Sunlight case), it's hard to predict whether or not they'll unpack your case, it is obviously safer to assume they will. One suggestion I'll make in addition to the other excellent ones here is that luggage stores sell nylon bags that have mesh fronts that are good for small parts such as pedals, skewers, etc. TSA can see through the mesh and I've watched my bike get inspected twice and they just picked them up (I had them velcroed to the inside) and looked at them. A funny story wrt inspections: on my last trip back from Italy, the TSA supervisor told his partner to inspect my case. This guy probably weighed less than the case. He went to pick it up, barely could, and slapped an "inspected" label on it. So much for homeland security.

As far as cars are concerned, rent a 4 door hatchback and your case will fit with the back seats down. I used a Smart 4four last time which is a pretty darned small car and the case fit fine.

Bill Bove
05-01-2006, 06:53 PM
I've never had a problem flying with CO2. I just "forget" that they're in the saddle and tool bags.

stevep
05-01-2006, 07:09 PM
I think it's been a while since you and stevep flew internationally.

ive only flown on foreign carriers and have not been charged yet. last time was 03. i am going to italy/ france this summer...so 'ill see what happens.

if you fly within the continent on the low priced carriers like ryan air... beware ...the flight may be $10 but excess baggage is very, very expensive. i got caught once on this.
the baggage cost me $250 on a $25 flight.

spokehead
05-02-2006, 10:22 AM
Every major carrier charges now - $75-100 for international flights although at least it's just one fee even though we'll fly to NYC first then overseas.

The trip is in southern France - Velo Vacation's "Provence" trip. I'm hunting for every hill I can find in Ohio, such as there is, to prepare for the Ventoux climb.

I do have a "B" bike; I can also rent a decent Fuji from them, but I have to think on the toughest roads I'm really going to want my Serotta. Seems a shame to waste it on the roads of Ohio...

Chris

paulh
05-02-2006, 10:54 AM
I'm not sure if this would work on overseas flights or domestic since 9/11, but in the past I have saved some money. If the airline/airport has curbside baggage check-in, I've smiled at the guy, held out a $20 and said "this can go regular luggage, right?", pointing at my bike case. They usually have said "no problem", tagged it and sent it on its way with my regular luggage, thus a saving over the $80 the last time I had to go to the airline check-in desk inside. :cool:

flydhest
05-02-2006, 11:00 AM
I think it's been a while since you and stevep flew internationally. There is now a charge on all the major carriers (Delta, United, AA) from the US for anything bigger than 26x26x10 and in my experience, yes they will measure.

you quoted keno on this and his trip to Argentina was in the past two months.

gone
05-02-2006, 01:47 PM
you quoted keno on this and his trip to Argentina was in the past two months.
Although I try to keep track of the travels of everyone on this forum, occasionally I forget some. :) Perhaps to/from South America is different or he flew a "non-major" (whatever that is) airline. I suppose the only thing I can say with certainty is: the airlines I quoted do charge for bike cases on flights to europe from the US. YMMV, ATMO, IMHO, ***DIK?

mjbyl
05-02-2006, 09:44 PM
In my experience, you will not necessarily be charged. So far this year I have done:
US Air Us-Europe W/ 2 bikes - free
American Us-Europe 2 bikes - free
United US-Argentina 1 bike - free

In the US I've found the airlines try and charge much more frequently - the United vouchers from USA Cycling are great for domestic travel, though.