PDA

View Full Version : Decal removal (Wheels)

ANAO
06-30-2015, 09:01 AM
What is the best method for removing decals on wheels?

Aiming for a less shout-y look.

bcroslin
06-30-2015, 09:05 AM
razor blade and a lot of patience. clean up with goo gone.

old fat man
06-30-2015, 09:16 AM
i go with fingernails and goo-gone

Ryun
06-30-2015, 09:20 AM
I use a heat gun to make it a little easier
Just be sure to take the tire off first

54ny77
06-30-2015, 09:25 AM
i've got some enve carbon rims that i'd like to get rid of the white logos. is that a royal p.i.t.a. to do?

thirdgenbird
06-30-2015, 09:33 AM
Warm with heat gun, use fingers and clean up with goo gone.

My dt Swiss rims were a bit of a pain. Stripped some giant carbon wheels and didn't even need a heat gunor goo gone. The decals came off easy and clean. Mavic was about half way between. Your results may vary.

kevinvc
06-30-2015, 11:04 AM
Stickers on my Mavic Cosmic peeled right off. Goo Gone cleaned up the residue. Wheels look much cooler.

cfox
06-30-2015, 11:20 AM
WD40 takes off sticker residue and is safer than acetone or goo gone. It won't fade ano on aluminum rims or possibly dull/streak like acetone on carbon.

thirdgenbird
06-30-2015, 11:32 AM
That's a good call. I've never had an issue with goo gone on aluminum, but I wouldn't use it on carbon. I've seen it melt some plastics. Not worth the risk.

Vinci
06-30-2015, 12:38 PM
Depends on the decals.

The decals on my Sram S60's peeled right off with minimal cleaning. Same with some cheap Shimano wheels.

The decals on my Williams wheels are either bonded to the rims or under some sort of clearcoat because they will not come off at all.

thegunner
06-30-2015, 01:09 PM
what wheels are these man?

ANAO
06-30-2015, 01:43 PM
what wheels are these man?

Nothing special.

http://www.modernbike.com/product-2126179886?gclid=CjwKEAjw_MisBRCTuNPfoMqU4ngSJACrJ v1VpXhv2GA4xTuA_zXs6Xnnau8iN8MlwAq2aqqSy0LZmBoCUL7 w_wcB

http://cdn.modernbike.com/Product_Images/large_12619.jpg

shovelhd
06-30-2015, 01:46 PM
Contractors Solvent.

a4racer
06-30-2015, 04:11 PM
but was looking for Goo Gone at the local home depot to take off some sticker residue from a clear plastic cylinder (camping lantern). Got confused, bought "Goof Off" instead. Wrecked the lantern. Goof Off basically etched and clouded all of the plastic that it touched.

Make sure you use the correct GOO(X) (GONE/OFF) product, hahaha!

54ny77
06-30-2015, 04:21 PM
Yep goof off is paint stripper, goo gone is adhesive remover (or anything greasy or sticky that's readily removed/diluted with its citrus-based solvent).

but was looking for Goo Gone at the local home depot to take off some sticker residue from a clear plastic cylinder (camping lantern). Got confused, bought "Goof Off" instead. Wrecked the lantern. Goof Off basically etched and clouded all of the plastic that it touched.

a4racer
06-30-2015, 04:59 PM
Yep goof off is paint stripper, goo gone is adhesive remover (or anything greasy or sticky that's readily removed/diluted with its citrus-based solvent).

Boy did I learn that the hard way. It was awesome when my kid looked at the lantern and said "what EXACTLY did you do to that?"

thirdgenbird
06-30-2015, 05:22 PM

and don't just assume that goo gone will be safe. I got a second hand Sony amplifier. The remote had a sticker on it. Goo gone meted the plastic remote case.

54ny77
06-30-2015, 05:41 PM
Anything that removes adhesive has the potential to scratch plastic, depending on what that plastic is.

Even a squirt of windex or Simple Green can "scratch" (or dull) the surface of many plastics.

Always test small area first if unsure.

I've found the safest way to remove any adhesive on soft or sensitive plastic surfaces (I'm referring to clear thin Lexan surfaces, more specifically, which I'm familiar with) is getting a real plastic polish & cleaner and using old fashioned elbow grease. Even a little blob of Dawn dish soap with a drop or two of water can work wonders. Use a very soft cloth, like an old 100% cotton undershirt.

If the surface is a little harder, you can use an automotive "clay bar" with an appropriate lubricant on the surface (basically a little bit of water and dish soap is fine, Dawn or automotive-specific is better).

and don't just assume that goo gone will be safe. I got a second hand Sony amplifier. The remote had a sticker on it. Goo gone meted the plastic remote case.

thirdgenbird
06-30-2015, 06:15 PM
It was more than scratch. The remote turned to goo. You can see my finger prints in it clear as day. It was so soft, I could mold it like clay. I knew this was possible, I just want to give fair warning to others.

54ny77
06-30-2015, 06:24 PM
I'll ask dumb and obvious question but are you absolutely sure it was Goo Gone?

Did you leave it sit on there for a long time or wipe on & wipe off?

We've used it in a retail setting for years on all kinds of materials to remove labels and adhesives and have never had that issue.

It was more than scratch. The remote turned to goo. You can see my finger prints in it clear as day. It was so soft, I could mold it like clay. I knew this was possible, I just want to give fair warning to others.

thirdgenbird
06-30-2015, 06:25 PM
I'll ask dumb and obvious question but are you absolutely sure it was Goo Gone?

We've used it in a retail setting for years on all kinds of materials to remove labels and adhesives and have never had that issue.

Yes. 100% sure. I still have the bottle.

Edit:
Just looked. It says Goo Gone and then plant power formula under it. Not sure what plant power means. It has removed a lot of other decals without issue. Looks and smells like goo gone always has.

54ny77
06-30-2015, 06:27 PM
Ok, that's interesting and duly noted. :beer:

Yes. 100% sure. I still have the bottle.

giverdada
07-01-2015, 06:19 AM
turn on the kettle. steam the sticker. peel. residue should clean up with olive or canola oil from your kitchen and a rag. haven't tried WD40 but it's a good cleaning solvent.

n.