PDA

View Full Version : Rattling internal cable routing?

Tetraptych
03-24-2004, 10:46 AM
Last week I built up an NOS Colorado Legend CR I bought over the winter and the Vermont weather lightened up enough that I was able to ride it yesterday, only losing two toes to frostbite. Fantastic bike (and even more importantly, I finally have a bike that fits me perfectly), but there's one thing that's driving me nuts: it uses internal cable routing with a stop at either end of the tube, and the cable starts rattling at the slightest irregularity on the road.

I haven't had much of a chance to play around with it, I figured I'd check with people who have experience. I was thinking about putting something to dampen vibration between the cable ferrule and the cable guide on the top tube, but I have a feeling the rattling is coming from the cable hitting the carrier on the inside of the tube that keeps cable installation from becoming an hour-long fishing expedition. Are there any standard fixes I should know about?

Cheers,
Steve

Kevan
03-24-2004, 10:55 AM
Do you think that very thin-walled cable housing, commonly used between the brake cable stops for the TT, would fit within? It too might rattle or soften the sound or if lucky consume enough space to prevent it completely.

terry
03-24-2004, 11:04 AM
not sure i understand-all bikes with internal routing i've seen take the whole cable housing-never saw any stops at the entrance/exit points.

zap
03-24-2004, 02:03 PM
Kleins have cable stops, at least Q Pro Carbons. They also don't have the small internal tube either so rattling is not a problem. Frames are supplied with removable plastic tubing from the factory to make cable installation a snap.

Tetraptych. If you can't get thin lining/housing through as suggested by Kevin, try teflon coated cables. Or a thin coating of grease on the cable might help for a short period of time. Additionally, see if adding more cable tension helps any.

Tetraptych
03-24-2004, 04:48 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I checked it out, and I *might* be able to slip one of the thin bits of plastic housing in there, although I think it'll close. The teflon cable idea is an excellent idea, also. Seems like it might help dampen the rattling a little bit at least.

terry: This is actually a pretty nifty setup, to tell you the truth. All the internally routed cables I've worked on myself have been like you're talking about, you feed the cable and housing the whole way through the top tube. This works pretty much like a normal cable guide setup, where you use a ferrule and it snugs up against the cable stop at each of the top tube, with some sort of a plastic tube inside so you don't have to go fishing around in the top tube for the other hole. No mush like full-length housing, either. A friend of mine has a Davidson that's the same way.

Just got back from a ride, and I have a feeling it'll get real annoying on anything much over two or three hour, especially on some of the nice backgrounds around here with no other sounds around but the birds. I'll check out the plastic housing, and see how that works out.

Thanks much.