PDA

View Full Version : Happy International Workers Day!

Bill Bove
05-01-2006, 05:04 AM
Everyone take the day off :banana:

William
05-01-2006, 05:10 AM
Everyone take the day off :banana:

Are we marching???? :confused:

William

Bill Bove
05-01-2006, 05:23 AM
Are we marching???? :confused:

William
Only if you're Hispanic.

William
05-01-2006, 05:25 AM
Only if you're Hispanic.

Oh, ok. I'm going back to bed. ZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz......

William ;)

keno
05-01-2006, 05:28 AM
I took high school Spanish. Do I have to do my volunteer gig today?

keno

William
05-01-2006, 05:30 AM
I took high school Spanish. Do I have to do my volunteer gig today?

keno

Mrs William always tells me that I know just enough Spanish to get myself in trouble. :crap:

William ;)

keno
05-01-2006, 05:40 AM
what was it you said that got you in the trouble you are already in?

keno

zank
05-01-2006, 06:02 AM
Happy International Workers day!

Is that the PC name for today? :rolleyes:

keno
05-01-2006, 06:16 AM
Monday.

keno

William
05-01-2006, 06:21 AM
what was it you said that got you in the trouble you are already in?

keno

las habas negras grandes estaban muy locas al cuarto pequeño?

Or something to that effect.

William ;)

DRZRM
05-01-2006, 07:19 AM
You don't have to be Latino to show solidarity. Let’s not forget, unless you are of indigenous descent or your family was brought here enslaved, your families were all immigrants here once. Pay attention, Hispanics are not the only immigrant group in this country.

Sandy
05-01-2006, 07:25 AM
You don't have to be Latino to show solidarity. Let’s not forget, unless you are of indigenous descent, your families were all immigrants here once. Pay attention, Hispanics are not the only immigrant group in this country.

As this thread is work related, I will make one comment (not counting this one). My observation is that Hispanics possess a wonderful work ethic, one that a lot of us should follow.

Retired Simple Sandy

Argos
05-01-2006, 07:26 AM
It has nothing to do with Hispanics that are here.

It has to do with Hispanics, and others, that are here ILLEGALLY.

Do not confuse immigration and immigrants with ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION and ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS. If you do this you miss the point completely.

DRZRM
05-01-2006, 07:39 AM
Well, I'm sure that this will be shut down shortly (probably rightly so, get to it moderators) but I have to say while I can, let’s not pretend that the category “legal” is sacrosanct. I’m sure there are laws that most of us break (note “most” not “all”) in our cars or bikes just about every day. Laws are open to debate and interpretation. I disagree with many things our current government (and past governments) have legislated, and that is one reason why it is important that people who share this feeling about immigration laws (and who’s jobs will not be put at risk doing so) go out and protest today—both immigrants and those who support their right to be here. The lax application of immigration laws is one of those things that the US actually does well. Guest worker policies and crack-downs on immigration have been the norm in Europe, and look what a mess immigration has become there (France anyone?).

I don’t want to get into a back and forth here, I’ll be teaching a class about this stuff on Wednesday (I cancelled class today so that my students can participate in the march).

As always, just my $.02. Enjoy your day however you spend it.

flydhest
05-01-2006, 07:42 AM
You don't have to be Latino to show solidarity. Let’s not forget, unless you are of indigenous descent, your families were all immigrants here once. Pay attention, Hispanics are not the only immigrant group in this country.

Part of me isn't an immigrant and part of me was forced to come here. Where does that leave me?

Oh, yeah, at the office.

paulh
05-01-2006, 07:54 AM
Also..... Happy Flight Suit Day!!

Argos
05-01-2006, 07:58 AM
There are legal channels to come to this country. There is nothing that makes me an illegal immigrant if I speed. France burning is a very different thing. We have the equivalent of an invasion, followed by demanded rights and lack of any attempt in joing our culture in most cases as well as strains and demands on our econmy.
My great grandparents and their parents came here through NY in the late 1800's, and were never so prooud of when they were able to converse in english. It was hard work, and they did it.
Now you compare this with groups of people that come here illegallly, impact the costs of Car insurance by driving without documentaion, impact taxes as school systems have to provide for them, then screw them again as we have an unfunded mandate to bring up testing scores, but because of the entitlement the feel to not have to learn the language, they bring down testing scores. They strain taxes as they often do not pay what we pay (home owners, etc), strain the healthcare system through DWI's and again lack of insurance.

My wifes friend could not dance at her own wedding because 6 weeks before she was involved in a head on collision with a drunk driving Illegal immigrant. She's recovering from what the doctors say should have been a death sentence. Again, no insurance, no accountability to the law. Where is her protection? Where is her American dream?

I have NO problem with people coming here. I welcome immigration. But if you want to come here and reap the benefits of our country, do it legally.

I blame most the inept corrupt governments of these countries. Mexico should be absorbed and raized. Manifest destiny? More like minding our borders.

You are right, that this thread should be shut down.

flydhest
05-01-2006, 08:05 AM
Where is her American dream?
--snip--
I blame most the inept corrupt governments of these countries. Mexico should be absorbed and raized. Manifest destiny? More like minding our borders.

American dream . . . yeah, it died somewhere in the Middle Passage or on the Trail of Tears. Ask Sitting Bull, immigration can be a b!tch.

Inept corrupt governments . . . does that include ours? The reason so many flood the borders is that there are so many employers willing to hire them because our government (of both parties, it's not partisan) is unwilling to enforce the hiring laws. The border wouldn't need minding if the employers weren't hiring.

"Raized" what's that mean?

Manifest Destiny sounds so much like Lebensraum to me.

OldDog
05-01-2006, 08:13 AM
I don’t want to get into a back and forth here, .

Advise the moderators to shut down the thread, quick get in your .02, take a swipe a current and past governments and let us know you do not wish to discuss your comments.

And your a teacher?

Argos
05-01-2006, 08:13 AM
American dream . . . yeah, it died somewhere in the Middle Passage or on the Trail of Tears. Ask Sitting Bull, immigration can be a b!tch.

There is quite a difference between colonization and modern immigration. That said I can not immagine you would be happy with the thought that you are being colonized, either

Inept corrupt governments . . . does that include ours? The reason so many flood the borders is that there are so many employers willing to hire them because our government (of both parties, it's not partisan) is unwilling to enforce the hiring laws. The border wouldn't need minding if the employers weren't hiring.

Agreed, this is why we need tougher laws and better enforcement.

"Raized" what's that mean?

Manifest Destiny sounds so much like Lebensraum to me.

Ok, here I was kidding around a bit. I added an extra 'i', and meant razed. And I do not actually think we should invade, takecontrol of, bulldoze and rebuild Mexico.