PDA

View Full Version : Chattanooga police use ultrasound technology to enforce 3-ft rule

alessandro
06-29-2015, 11:22 AM
Cool story about a bike cop in Chattanooga:

3 feet or else: Chattanooga police use ultrasound technology to enforce law for cyclist safety
http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/local/story/2015/jun/07/3-feet-or-else/308339/

and

Cycling Cop Creates Space for Cyclists on Tennessee Roads
http://www.bicycling.com/culture/people/cycling-cop-creates-space-cyclists-tennessee-roads

The technology is intruiging. Now I just need a handlebar-mounted device that will keep cars outside my 3-foot bubble.

JAllen
06-29-2015, 03:12 PM
That is great! Way to go Tennessee!

FWIW Chattanooga would be in my top 5 if I were to move the wife and I back that way again.

Kirk Pacenti
08-19-2015, 07:11 PM
That is great! Way to go Tennessee!

FWIW Chattanooga would be in my top 5 if I were to move the wife and I back that way again.

Fwiw, it's number one according to Outside Magazine! ;)

I do miss the Pacific Northwest, but Chattanooga is a great place to live.

Cheers,
KP

AJosiahK
08-19-2015, 07:30 PM
Very cool indeed

Louis
08-19-2015, 07:35 PM
How many of those do you think you'd need just in the greater Chattanooga area to have an impact? And how many officers riding how many miles for how long?

It's great that they're trying, but I'm skeptical that it will make much of a difference. (Unless there is lots of coverage in the media, in which case it will probably just outrage folks that the police aren't spending more time going after murderers, rapists, and ISIS sleeper cell agents.)

Wolfman
08-19-2015, 09:19 PM
C'mon Louis, don't piss on this one, too!

Personally, I think this is awesome: actual, verifiable data that is, hopefully, going to be hard to disagree with.

I agree that it's got a fundamental flaw, though: it's a cop's bike, so the sample is going to be biased.

Either way, great to see the tech out there and being used to help cyclists get their fair share of the road.

dustyrider
08-19-2015, 09:56 PM
Make a tamper proof, 4g, clip-on police issued version for all riders in the city limits. Kinda like a mobile intersection/speed camera synced to h.q..
Use the evidentiary data collected to make reforms in the road infrastructures. Clamp down on the aggressive types and educate the ignorant ones.

Take that Ray Bradbury!

Louis
08-19-2015, 09:58 PM
I agree that it's got a fundamental flaw, though: it's a cop's bike, so the sample is going to be biased.

Might not be that easy to tell from the back - their jerseys / shirts don't say POLICE in massive font on the back, so I bet most folks won't realize that they are cops until it's too late.