PDA

View Full Version : My book is now for sale on-line

velotel
06-29-2015, 09:31 AM
At last, took awhile but Switchbacks Vol I can now be bought on line. Kind of complicated to make happen since the book was printed in Boulder, is being sold in the states, and I live in France. My printer saved me. Steuben Press in Longmont was a major windfall. Did a search on the net for printers, they were one of many in Colorado, I liked what I read, liked even more what I heard when I called, decided then and there no need to search further. That turned out to be a great call. Pricing was excellent plus Adam, the owner, stocks them and mails them out when an order is received plus, and this is what totally saved my butt, the orders pass through his account. Without a residence in the states I was unable to have an account to do it myself. I asked if there was any possibility of doing it with him, told me he didn’t see any problems so why not! And with that all was in place. Then I just had to figure out how to create a site on Squarespace with an on-line store for the book.

So, the details, big book, weighs in at 1 lb 10 oz I’m told, 196 pages, 178 photos (yea, I counted them one day, had no idea before that, front and back covers aren’t included in the count), landscape format 12 in x 8,5 in, a really good quality silk paper for the interior and a laminated cover. It’s not a hard cover, would have been too expensive, which I suppose the book is already. Price is 42$, 48.50$ with the shipping.

Only ran-off 200 copies but also had another 100 covers printed so that if my some wonderful good luck I actually sell out the 200 and need some more I can have them at the same price as the first 200. Obviously a small run like that is way more expensive than if I’d run-off 1000 but I kind of hated the idea of ending up with books to throw away, not to mention the money thrown away. So 200 seemed like a good number, large enough to reduce the price but small enough that paying for them wasn’t a bank buster.

For those who have been waiting for the book and finally order it, all I can say is I hope it lives up to your expectations. I think it’s a good book, obviously since I did it, but I’m also someone who loves books and for me it’s a good book. Any screw-ups you find are mine; the book was literally a one-man show all the way until it got to the printer. I suppose that about covers it. No, one more thing, since the idea of doing the book has been so enthusiastically pushed by forum members for some time now, and since I like this forum and always find something interesting on it, 1$ of every book sold will be given to the forum administrators to help keep it going.

And no, there isn’t and won’t be an electronic version. I like books I can hold and turn pages and see lined up on the book shelves and loan to people when they see something they haven’t read so it’s in paper only. I’m old fashioned I guess. Logical I suppose since I’m old.

Okay, to order the book go to http://velodogs-publishing.com. There are various pages of excerpts from the book (jpg’s of pages) and miscellaneous info and of course the part where you can order it. If you’re in the Boulder area you can also go to Vecchio’s and buy it from them to avoid the shipping cost. Otherwise sales are only via my site. Between the cost of the book and cost of shipping it to shops and the final retail price which I wanted to keep as low as I could there isn’t enough margin to make it all that interesting for shops to carry. Or at least that’s my thinking but if some shop wanted to sell it, for sure that’s doable. Personally I think the book is a fine way to market riding a road bike but on the other hand anyone who’d be interested in reading about riding a bike in France is already well sold on the sport.

Thanks for your patience all those who have been waiting for the book. Must admit I’m looking forward to hearing what people think of it, or at least I am if they like it!

choke
06-29-2015, 09:40 AM
Awesome....and congrats. :beer:

Someone was really quick, I'm order #2.

54ny77
06-29-2015, 09:41 AM
Ordered!

Many thanks for doing this. I've been looking forward to it for a long time!

redir
06-29-2015, 09:52 AM
Order #4 is in. $42 bucks is not high at all for a book like that. Looking forward to it.

Scuzzer
06-29-2015, 09:59 AM
Enjoyed the previews so much that I hit the order button. Looks like I'm #5.

weisan
06-29-2015, 10:54 AM
Order Confirmed

Order Number: #00008

Your order of 48.50 at Switchbacks - Vol I has been confirmed.

-------------------------------

Eight[edit]
The word for "eight" (八 Pinyin: bā) sounds similar to the word which means "prosper" or "wealth" (發 – often paired with "發財" during Chinese New Years, but is used alone or paired with numerous other "compound words" that have a meaning of luck or success, Pinyin: fā). In regional dialects the words for "eight" and "fortune" are also similar, e.g., Cantonese "baat3" and "faat3". Note as well, this particular symbol matches the mathematical symbol of infinity. While Chinese does have other words for luck, this full understanding of luck that includes the infinity concept marries into a Chinese understanding of this particular word.
There is also a visual resemblance between two digits, "88", and 囍, the "shuāng xĭ" ("double joy"), a popular decorative design composed of two stylized characters 喜 ("xĭ" meaning "joy" or "happiness").
The number 8 is viewed as such an auspicious number that even being assigned a number with several eights is considered very lucky.

brian_d12
06-29-2015, 11:13 AM
Looking forward to delivery!

Order Confirmed

Order Number: #00009

jds108
06-29-2015, 11:32 AM
Order #10. Looking forward to it!

thwart
06-29-2015, 12:01 PM
i like books i can hold and turn pages and see lined up on the book shelves and loan to people when they see something they haven’t read so it’s in paper only.

+100.

slidey
06-29-2015, 12:21 PM
Lucky #13 -> That's me!

Really look forward to this.

Auk
06-29-2015, 12:23 PM
Done

Gern
06-29-2015, 12:25 PM
#15 -- I'm looking forward to the words and images. Thanks.

sparky33
06-29-2015, 12:36 PM
I cannot wait to sit down and enjoy it!

Can I read it with clinchers?

morrisericd
06-29-2015, 12:46 PM
#17!

An Inspiration! Thank you!

alexstar
06-29-2015, 01:20 PM
# 18 - thanks. I really enjoy reading your ride reports here and I can't wait to read the book. You have a way with words.

Michael Maddox
06-29-2015, 03:04 PM
My order is in, too. Looks GREAT!

OtayBW
06-29-2015, 04:04 PM
#21 in the can!

wss
06-29-2015, 04:19 PM
Just ordered.

Mr. Pink
06-29-2015, 09:45 PM
Just ordered one.

Suggestion: remind the forum that this is for sale closer to the holidays. Would make a nice gift.

Black Dog
06-29-2015, 09:48 PM
Is there someone here who is also active across the hall who can mention this book? It would be great for Hank.

ceolwulf
06-29-2015, 09:53 PM
Was about to purchase but there does not seem to be a shipping option to Canada?

Black Dog
06-29-2015, 09:56 PM
Oh, by the way. Will there be any options for shipping outside the USA? To exotic places like Canada for instance.

velotel
06-29-2015, 11:56 PM
Was about to purchase but there does not seem to be a shipping option to Canada?
There is now, my printer sent me the pricing info I needed for Canada.

velotel
06-30-2015, 12:05 AM
Cool! Didn't expect all that, thanks to everyone. This keeps up and the NT Times may have to make room for one more book at the top of their international best seller list, the one that seems to have about a jillion of them based on how many books I see with international best seller printed on the cover. All the orders have been transferred to the printer for shipping. Hopefully everyone will have their books soon. And happy with what they received.

Cheers

Fiertetimestwo
06-30-2015, 12:43 AM
How about shipping to Australia? - even "farther flung" than Canada (or Canadia, as a friend likes to say).

ntb1001
06-30-2015, 01:43 AM
Just ordered #25
And it coming all the way to Canada......thanks.

velotel
06-30-2015, 02:13 AM
How about shipping to Australia? - even "farther flung" than Canada (or Canadia, as a friend likes to say).
I'll ask Adam to send me the shipping price then let you know.

Black Dog
06-30-2015, 07:44 AM
Order Number: #00026

And 2nd Canadian Order I suspect. Buy the way shipping to Canada is very reasonable. Only a few dollars more than shipping with the US!

jamesutiopia
06-30-2015, 08:27 AM

sparky33
06-30-2015, 10:57 AM
Is there someone here who is also active across the hall who can mention this book? It would be great for Hank.

Done.

Keith A
06-30-2015, 11:31 AM
Done.Thanks Sparky!

youngman
06-30-2015, 11:46 AM
Keep that cash register rolling #0029. Looking forward with great interest!

572cv
06-30-2015, 02:34 PM
Just back from a biz trip to find that the great book of sinuous curves is available at long last. Order placed.

Now for some anticipatory days.....

Plum Hill
06-30-2015, 05:58 PM
Order number (00)007.

By any chance is there a bio of the author in the book?
American ex-pat?

ceolwulf
06-30-2015, 06:25 PM
#00031 :cool:

KF9YR
06-30-2015, 07:00 PM

zennmotion
06-30-2015, 07:06 PM
32. Right on, this looks awesome!

“It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle”.

~Ernest Hemingway, author.

pbarry
06-30-2015, 07:42 PM
Will swing by Vecchios this week for my copy.

Big props for getting this done, Velotel! :beer:

velotel
07-01-2015, 02:40 AM
Thanks for all the orders folks. Adam told me 30 books were shipped out yesterday. Mails with tracking numbers 'normally' have been sent out. Or at least that's how it's supposed to work. And so far everything else on in the Squarespace system has worked wonderfully so I presume the automatic mailing of notices will also. Based on the small track record of books sent so far within the US, 2-3 days is how long it takes. Canada is a bit longer since it has to pass through customs.

Cheers

Tim Porter
07-01-2015, 06:14 AM
#34 to start off the day right!

pmac
07-01-2015, 07:35 AM
Adam told me 30 books were shipped out yesterday. Mails with tracking numbers 'normally' have been sent out. Or at least that's how it's supposed to work. And so far everything else on in the Squarespace system has worked wonderfully so I presume the automatic mailing of notices will also.

Cheers

Yes, I got an email saying that my copy had been shipped. Really looking forward to getting it.

bking
07-01-2015, 11:09 AM
36. maybe someday i'll really put it to good use, as a guide book.
great that you would take the time and expense to pull this off.

Fiertetimestwo
07-02-2015, 06:13 AM
Well the shipping to Australia is expensive - but perhaps not prohibitive for my Christmas present last in the year.

I will, however be in the UK and Italy (but not France unfortunately) - perhaps we could work out something for then?

oldpotatoe
07-02-2015, 06:25 AM
Will swing by Vecchios this week for my copy.

Big props for getting this done, Velotel! :beer:

As will I...

velotel
07-02-2015, 06:30 AM
Well the shipping to Australia is expensive - but perhaps not prohibitive for my Christmas present last in the year.

I will, however be in the UK and Italy (but not France unfortunately) - perhaps we could work out something for then?
That could work; I've got 10 here, well no longer 10 but still I think 6. I could then send it to where you will be over here.

climbgdh
07-02-2015, 11:50 AM
#037 ...... on the way to Canada. Thanks velotel. Really looking forward to getting this book.

Scuzzer
07-02-2015, 03:17 PM
The mailman dropped it off half an hour ago, I found it hard to put down even though I need to get back to work. The final page pic is awesome with the mountains, beer and Vecchios gear.

indyrider
07-02-2015, 04:28 PM
Im in at 38!

Scuzzer
07-02-2015, 04:43 PM
I'm finding that having google maps up on laptop with the appropriate sized view is helping when reading the descriptions. YMMV

572cv
07-02-2015, 09:06 PM
I'm finding that having google maps up on laptop with the appropriate sized view is helping when reading the descriptions. YMMV

I'd also recommend viamichelin as a good route tracking companion for the French climbs.

joev
07-02-2015, 10:38 PM
#00039. Darn...going on vacation for a week too. Can't wait to get back and check it out. :banana: Been enjoying the posts for a while. Keep them coming!

A1A
07-03-2015, 07:08 AM
Been off the forum since Monday, off work today for the holiday and happened to look in and saw the book is out, sweet, order #40! Guess that's why you have to check in every day. Can't wait to read the book, I can live vicariously through reading it with regards to European cycling. Like to think I could make it over there some day but probably unlikely...

Thank you so much for putting the time and effort into publishing this book!

54ny77
07-03-2015, 10:01 AM
Arrived!

Boy this thing is sweet. Am looking forward to reading during air travel/biz trips.

Kudos Velotel to a job well done.

Plum Hill
07-03-2015, 11:00 AM
Just got mine!

sparky33
07-06-2015, 11:56 AM
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/07/06/48ef47189a7d5f8c6285e1a207d49353.jpg
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/07/06/d23eff223e92d1b19afff0a08c5c9ebd.jpg
Fantastic #16

maxn
07-06-2015, 01:23 PM
[IMG]
Fantastic #16
Sparky, I couldn't help but notice the mug -- are you an Eph?

redir
07-06-2015, 03:39 PM
Got mine in the mail on Saturday which I did not expect since it was the 4th. I thought the post office would have had that day off. Anyway looking forward to reading it, the pics so far have kept me occupied.

morrisericd
07-07-2015, 07:33 AM
Really, really great! Has me dreaming of traveling to France!

Repack Rider
07-07-2015, 02:13 PM
At last, took awhile but Switchbacks Vol I can now be bought on line. Kind of complicated to make happen since the book was printed in Boulder, is being sold in the states, and I live in France.

Hank,

I had been following this thread off and on for obvious reasons, and then someone posted a photo of the book itself and I realized who was behind the screen name!

Congrats on the publication. Sorry I missed the big party a couple of years ago, but I was having my only medical setback of the past 35 years and it was poorly timed.

My own book is linked to the tagline.

CK

sparky33
07-07-2015, 08:30 PM
Sparky, I couldn't help but notice the mug -- are you an Eph?

Sort of....long ago, I spent a memorable semester studying at the W-M marine campus in Mystic CT. You?

The rest of my mugs are big green.

572cv
07-07-2015, 09:55 PM
Sort of....

The rest of my mugs are big green.

Some others of us are stuck with those big green mugs as well....

velotel
07-08-2015, 09:49 AM
Hank,

I had been following this thread off and on for obvious reasons, and then someone posted a photo of the book itself and I realized who was behind the screen name!

Congrats on the publication. Sorry I missed the big party a couple of years ago, but I was having my only medical setback of the past 35 years and it was poorly timed.

My own book is linked to the tagline.

CK
Yep, it's me, still alive and kicking. From what I've seen and read your book is appreciated. Go over and see Joe; he's got a copy of my book. Cheers

velotel
07-08-2015, 09:50 AM
Some others of us are stuck with those big green mugs as well....
Jeez, my memory must really be slipping! I don't remember your face as being green. I mean, yea, you were feeling under the weather but I definitely don't remember a green face. Oh well.

572cv
07-08-2015, 03:56 PM
Jeez, my memory must really be slipping! I don't remember your face as being green. I mean, yea, you were feeling under the weather but I definitely don't remember a green face. Oh well.

:)

StephenCL
07-08-2015, 05:46 PM
Number 43 right here...cant wait....

Repack Rider
07-08-2015, 07:47 PM
Yep, it's me, still alive and kicking. From what I've seen and read your book is appreciated. Go over and see Joe; he's got a copy of my book. Cheers

Saw Joe today at the museum, I mentioned your book and he volunteered that he had it already. I'll check it out, good luck with it. I get about $1.80 a copy in royalties, I'm sure you are doing much better.

You might consider selling your book in the museum shop, which carries a number of cycling titles.

climbgdh
07-09-2015, 11:41 AM
Got my copy today in the mail. Whoop..... looks awesome!!!

A1A
07-11-2015, 05:48 PM
Got mine too, love the photos, gonna read through the text over the next few days. Riding those roads is something to dream about.

etu
07-12-2015, 11:35 AM
Just reading your intro reminded that I need to ride the Mt Hamilton climb more than once a year. It is a great climb. Scant traffic, lots of switchbacks, great views. Just need to do it early in the day to avoid the heat, but what a gem!

Just placed an order for Repack Rider's book too.:hello:

jmal
07-12-2015, 09:41 PM
Just ordered. Can't wait to receive the package.

velotel
07-13-2015, 09:51 AM
Thanks for the orders and kind words, much appreciated, no, enormously appreciated.

Fiertetimestwo
07-20-2015, 08:21 PM
That could work; I've got 10 here, well no longer 10 but still I think 6. I could then send it to where you will be over here.

I now have an address in Italy (a Hotel in Tuscany) where I can pick up the book- in fact, a friend in Melbourne would like a copy as well- would you still have 2 copies in France that you could send to Italy? I understand that there is no customs problem if they are just coming from France to Italy.

How would we go about arranging payment?- through the publisher's website- or direct to you?

If this looks like it will work I will PM you the address.

Thanks!

velotel
07-21-2015, 12:19 AM
I now have an address in Italy (a Hotel in Tuscany) where I can pick up the book- in fact, a friend in Melbourne would like a copy as well- would you still have 2 copies in France that you could send to Italy? I understand that there is no customs problem if they are just coming from France to Italy.

How would we go about arranging payment?- through the publisher's website- or direct to you?

If this looks like it will work I will PM you the address.

Thanks!
That will work, no problem at all. For the payment I'm not sure. I don't remember if the payment system will work without a shipping address. I suppose I should know since I set it up but just using the system in place used by squarespace. Also I've never ordered a book so don't know. I'll check it out. Otherwise you could either wire or EFT the payment direct to me here in France, in euros. Send me the address in Italy and I'll figure out the postal cost, probably about like in the states, maybe less.

One way or another we'll work it out. I'll hold 2 books for you to send there.

Thanks

onsight512
09-11-2016, 08:25 PM
Order Confirmed: #00095

Thank you for your order of Switchbacks - Vol I.

After having read so many of Hank's posts here on the forum, I am really looking forward to this showing up at my door.

tv_vt
09-12-2016, 10:51 AM
I've had the book for a while now. Read it from cover to cover. It's great!

One thing I wish it had is a map showing the region where all these rides are. I can't quite place the region from just the rides, and don't have the right Michelin map to figure it out, or haven't looked in the right place on the map.

Hank, have you thought of doing tours, or just being a tour planner for us in the New World?

tv_vt
09-13-2016, 02:18 PM
PS. Can't seem to find a number on my copy. Did that go away or was that only for some copies, or was it on the order form? (Mine was a gift.)

velotel
09-14-2016, 02:46 AM
PS. Can't seem to find a number on my copy. Did that go away or was that only for some copies, or was it on the order form? (Mine was a gift.)
No, that number is just coming off the inventory tapped by the on-line sales; the books themselves are unnumbered.

Regarding maps, I'll work on seeing if I can put together a map with the rides on them so you can see where they are and their relation to one another. They're all in a surprisingly small region. I think the longest drive from my house to any of them is an hour plus a bit, at most. I'd love to do some great maps but haven't found a method for doing that yet.