PDA

View Full Version : OT: True Detective (could contain spoiler from last night)

MattTuck
06-29-2015, 09:14 AM
Anybody else watching last night? What the hell??

Last year was so good. This year, I understand they're trying to provide some backstory... then they start moving the plot forward, and then, boom!

He was the only character that actually seemed interesting.

If he is done, that sucks.

Tony T
06-29-2015, 09:56 AM
Some 'theories' on the NYT: ‘True Detective’ Recap (http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/06/28/true-detective-recap-season-2-episode-2/?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&module=first-column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news)

sandyrs
06-29-2015, 10:38 AM
So far this season seems like a parody of last season.

raygunner
06-29-2015, 12:42 PM
I really want to watch but I really dislike Colin Farrell. I don't know why, just can't stand him.

Thankfully I have some GOT to catch up on!

danield
06-29-2015, 01:59 PM
I presume something like the rock salt shot, ala Kill Bill, and maybe a vest as I would think a "real" shot gun blast at close range would more visibly tear open someone's abdomen?

The "sneak peek" for Episode 3 shows another Vici PD mention their heightened involvement in the case because one of their cops "was shot" as opposed to "killed."

Season 2 lacks the stronger main characters of season 1 and the surreal setting, but so far the mystery and plot seem a lot richer and layered. Could do without the hipster songstress in the latino dive bar tho... ok back to the bikes...

Hindmost
06-29-2015, 02:07 PM
Season 2 lacks the stronger main characters of season 1...

Yea, it was easy to catch on to Woody and Mathew, follow the story, and watch their characters (flawed as they were) unfold.

This season, I don't know, so far it is like there is too much incidental stuff.

MattTuck
06-29-2015, 03:19 PM
Yea, it was easy to catch on to Woody and Mathew, follow the story, and watch their characters (flawed as they were) unfold.

This season, I don't know, so far it is like there is too much incidental stuff.

Which will either come together like threads forming a fabric.... or, what I fear, the writers took their success (and I presume a lot more money) and tried to double/triple the story.

Already, there are a lot of characters to follow -- hard to tell which ones are important and which are inconsequential. That seems like a bit of hubris to me, especially coming from last year that had fewer story lines going on.

But we'll see. I'm in for at least a few more episodes before passing judgement. Last season earned it.

Britishbane
06-29-2015, 03:26 PM
I really want to watch but I really dislike Colin Farrell. I don't know why, just can't stand him.

Thankfully I have some GOT to catch up on!

SPOILER:

not a problem any more dude. Go for it.

velomonkey
06-29-2015, 03:34 PM
Gonna be wicked surprised if he is dead, but I don't think he is.

It is only the second episode - the 1st season wasn't too hot by episode 2 either.

I'll keep watching. However, might have to watch the episode from last season when the Mathew MaCanahey character did the stuff in the projects and all hell broke loose. That was a great episode.

Avincent52
06-29-2015, 04:23 PM
Major spoiler alert, of course.

This is what I wrote for Forbes.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/allenstjohn/2015/06/28/9500-true-detective-202-psycho-kill-colin-farrell/

(Mods: If this kind of link is an issue in some way, I apologize in advance and I'm happy to take it down.)

velomonkey
06-29-2015, 04:32 PM
Decent write up, however, you were writing about killing off major stars and you left off Game of Thrones. No other TV show has come close to killing off characters like Game of Thrones.

And, you gotta touch one other - To Live and Die in LA - the main character got a shotgun to the face. Hollywood just didn't do that back then.

Major spoiler alert, of course.

This is what I wrote for Forbes.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/allenstjohn/2015/06/28/9500-true-detective-202-psycho-kill-colin-farrell/

(Mods: If this kind of link is an issue in some way, I apologize in advance and I'm happy to take it down.)

daker13
06-29-2015, 07:20 PM
I think he's dead. That character doesn't seem like the kind of guy to wear a vest if he didn't think he was going to need it. And even rock salt would do some major, major damage at that range. I thought he was a fairly compelling character, so I hope he lives, but I don't think he will.

I'm on board with the second season: good enough for me to keep watching. Great shots of an industrial California we rarely see in TV and movies.

Macadamia
06-29-2015, 07:39 PM
I like it so far, but maybe I like it for a different reason than most people.

The whole dark vibe reminds me of Cormac McCarthy's writing (which I love), and I enjoy the philosophical exposition.

Anyways, if he is dead maybe there will be more flashbacks? Still early to tell where the story is going.