PDA

View Full Version : Way OT: Certified ScrumMaster

sandyrs
06-29-2015, 08:34 AM
Who here on the forum is a CSM? What was your background when you decided to pursue the certification, and how has it affected your work since? I am considering getting certified in the relatively near future.

CDollarsign
06-29-2015, 08:45 AM
I have been trying to get my work to pay for me to do this. Big corporations love all these buzz word certifications but they really haven't bitten.

I would be interested to hear of others experiences with this.

CDollarsign
06-29-2015, 08:53 AM
I have been trying to get my work to pay for me to do this. Big corporations love all these buzz word certifications but they really haven't bitten.

I would be interested to hear of others experiences with this.

weisan
06-29-2015, 11:23 AM
I am.

Background: IT Project Manager for >20 years. PMP certified.

Cheapest bang for the buck in terms of adding stuff behind your name and resume.

Just do it.

Average costs <$1k, two-day class, just sit there absorb all the materials, interesting stuff, you won't get bored, assuming the trainer is any good - take a super easy test right after, done in 30 mins or less - boom! you got your CSM certification.

One of the easiest things you will ever do and immediate payoff.

oldpotatoe
06-29-2015, 12:22 PM
Who here on the forum is a CSM? What was your background when you decided to pursue the certification, and how has it affected your work since? I am considering getting certified in the relatively near future.

Ok for this old fart, what is a 'scrum master'??

dolface
06-29-2015, 12:25 PM
I am, (CSM, CSPO)
It's worth doing just to get your head around Scrum and how it's "supposed" to be run.

It takes two days and the test is easy (they want you to pass) and it is a great resume builder with real-world applications.

dolface
06-29-2015, 12:26 PM
http://scrummethodology.com/the-scrummaster-role/

Ok for this old fart, what is a 'scrum master'??

shovelhd
06-29-2015, 12:29 PM
In English: it's part of a process that enables iterative development (Agile). It can also be used for problem solving and continuous improvement.

Jaq
06-29-2015, 02:19 PM
When I was a scrum master, I was called a Hooker. But that was a long, long time ago....

oldpotatoe
06-29-2015, 04:04 PM
In English: it's part of a process that enables iterative development (Agile). It can also be used for problem solving and continuous improvement.

' Iterative develoment', whatever that is....yikes

4Rings6Stars
06-29-2015, 04:15 PM

put more simply, corporate bs... be happy you're retired and don't have to worry about this sort of stuff :)

(not meant to offend any masters of the scrum among us...)

oldpotatoe
06-29-2015, 05:22 PM
put more simply, corporate bs... be happy you're retired and don't have to worry about this sort of stuff :)

10-4...I remember when TQI or something was foisted onto the USN...something about a Harvard guy, and Japan, or something. really 'stuck' with me:eek:

It was fine till it was dark nights and pitching decks or that main landing gear had to get changed in one shift...then back to normal.

jmoore
06-29-2015, 05:30 PM

this.

And I'm an IT analyst and have been involved with this stuff for years.

floxy1
06-29-2015, 10:15 PM
Couple questions, do you practice Scrum now or looking to start with your team? If you can learn from a good practitioner I'm not sure the certification is worth it. 'Essential Scrum' is a great book and gives much of what the class does much cheaper. Not sure how large your org is but I think SAFe may be a more valuable path if at a large company.

false_Aest
06-29-2015, 10:50 PM

See 2016 Venge

sandyrs
06-30-2015, 05:59 AM
Couple questions, do you practice Scrum now or looking to start with your team? If you can learn from a good practitioner I'm not sure the certification is worth it. 'Essential Scrum' is a great book and gives much of what the class does much cheaper. Not sure how large your org is but I think SAFe may be a more valuable path if at a large company.

My team currently practices a version, but we are moving away from a waterfall model and still working out some kinks/resistance. We did have an experienced practitioner on the team but he's leaving the company next week. The announcement was sudden. If he were going to be sticking around longer, I probably wouldn't be considering the certification.

weisan
06-30-2015, 04:34 PM
There are tons of information out there about Agile/Scrum, not really interested in defending or commenting about its value and whether it's fluff...the main thing is, a lot of it is common sense and gleaned from past experience/or pain points, stuff that you already know, it's fairly intuitive. Basically, I embodied the same values and were already running my projects in scrum-like manner way way WAY before I became certified.

For anyone interested, go check out this short video clip where the presenter did an amazing job in explaining scrum 10-mins or less...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BWbaZs1M_8

572cv
06-30-2015, 07:03 PM
When I was a scrum master, I was called a Hooker. But that was a long, long time ago....

Yeah, played some rugby in college, but would hardly consider myself a scrum master :rolleyes:

Ken Robb
06-30-2015, 08:47 PM
That must have been when I was a wing forward. :beer:
I got some funny looks when I told people my room mate was our team hooker.

floxy1
07-03-2015, 06:12 AM
My .02 start by reading essential scrum and go from there.

rugbysecondrow
07-03-2015, 09:15 AM

Word. Hookers can help you solve all sorts of problems. :banana:

enr1co
07-03-2015, 09:26 AM
this.

And I'm an IT analyst and have been involved with this stuff for years.

Yep, work w/ IT consulting contracts- all the acronyms, certs are just silly corporate/consultant bullsh*t ("SCBS") ;)

OP, consider yourself fortunate to not be familiar with this noise- wanna be in your space in a few years :cool:

stephenyi
07-03-2015, 09:42 AM
I did the CSM certification about 10-11 years ago now. I think it's worthwhile going through if you come from traditional waterfall project management practices or if you're new to Agile methodologies. I wouldn't do it just to get the certification added to your CV. You can probably learn the material on your own as there are several books on Scrum.

simonov
07-03-2015, 10:11 AM
The certs matter if you're looking for a new job running AGILE projects. I won't hire a PM for my team's software projects unless they're SCRUM certified. If you already have a job and are just looking to expand your project management skills, check out the books and sites referenced above. The cert isn't that tough to get relative to some others and the methodology is based in a lot of common sense. I'm a big fan, though, and I'll (hopefully) never go back to waterfall or non-iterative development for the types of applications I build.