PDA

View Full Version : Cygolite Hotshot 2w dimensions

thirdgenbird
06-28-2015, 03:54 PM
Anyone have one of these they can measure? Several sites give useless package dimensions but I can't find actual light dimensions.

professerr
06-28-2015, 04:41 PM
Don't have mine in front of me, but it is about 1/4 inch shorter and 1/8 inch thinner than a planet bike superflash turbo. About the same width as the superflash at its widest point. Weight is too similar to be able to tell which is heavier in my hand.

regularguy412
06-28-2015, 04:45 PM
just received mine. 5.5 cm height. 3.5 cm width. When using seat post clamp, the face of the light is approx 7 cm from the back of the seat post. I have not tried the seat stay clamp. The quick release tang on the clamp sticks down below the bottom part of the light by about 1 cm.

I'll say that this thing is BRIGHT! If it flashes you directly in the eye, you'll see spots for a few minutes. LOL

Mike in AR:beer:

Louis
06-28-2015, 04:45 PM
Give me a sec, I'll go check.

NHAero
06-28-2015, 04:47 PM
Mine is 2-7/16" long 1-7/16" wide and 1-3/8" deep including the clip on the back (which adds about 1/4")

Louis
06-28-2015, 04:51 PM
I measured 2.25" high x 1.375" wide x 1" deep (not including clip)

Mass = 44g

I've been very happy with mine.

thirdgenbird
06-28-2015, 05:12 PM
Thanks guys. I want to put it on my rack, but like planet bike (and seemingly everyone else) the rack adaptor drops the light below the rack bolts. With my tubus rack, there isn't a lot of room. A superflash turbo is too close for comfort, the hotshot might just work.

Rack mount:
http://www.shop.cygolite.com/images/1325089448008-816036012.jpeg

professerr
06-28-2015, 05:45 PM
Not quite sure what you're describing, but I've fiddled with both these lights on several bikes.

The bottom edge of the planet bike unit ends up hanging about 8 or 9 mm lower than the hotshot when they are clipped into their respective (and very similar) mounts. The top edge is a just about the same -- within a mm or so I recall. Hope this helps.

thirdgenbird
06-28-2015, 05:50 PM
Are you talking about the pictured rack mount above?

professerr
06-28-2015, 05:55 PM
Are you talking about the pictured rack mount above?

Sorry, no -- the two mounts I was comparing are the seatpost ones, which have similar dimensions I recall. Don't know about the rack adaptor, which adds a variable here. That said, I can tell you that using the clip in point for each light as a reference, the planet bike light ends up hangin about 8 or 9 mm lower.

thirdgenbird
06-28-2015, 06:00 PM
Sorry, no -- the two mounts I was comparing are the seatpost ones, which have similar dimensions I recall. Don't know about the rack adaptor, which adds a variable here. That said, I can tell you that using the clip in point for each light as a reference, the planet bike light ends up hangin about 8 or 9 mm lower.

That helps. The info I can find on the PB puts the light scary close to my tire. The hotshot is slightly shorter. If the clip mounts it higher as well, I could be fine.

Louis
06-28-2015, 06:12 PM
Worst-case scenario, you could get a piece of plastic or some sheet-metal and form them into an adapter that would shift the rack mount up a bit. If you want to go hi-tech, you could try designing something and using a 3D printer to make it.

thirdgenbird
06-28-2015, 06:23 PM
True.

If I had access to a 3d printer, I could just make the adaptor "correctly" to begin with :)

unterhausen
06-28-2015, 07:38 PM
I have my hotshot on upside-down. Works great. Been on my gravel bike like that for a year with no issues. I don't know if that helps or not

Thanks for asking though, I went down to measure, and saw some dropouts that needed to be brazed on to some fork blades, and then I put some water bottle mounts on. By the time I was done with that, I realized my bike with the hotshot on it wasn't in the garage.

Louis
06-28-2015, 08:39 PM
I have my hotshot on upside-down. Works great. Been on my gravel bike like that for a year with no issues. I don't know if that helps or not

I considered mentioning this to the OP as an option, but for my clip I don't think I would trust it - a good pothole or rail road track hit and the light would probably slide down and out. However, I'm sure one could modify things to make that less likely. A few inches of dental floss could tie the clip to the clamp, or you could even bond it in there semi-permanently. The light can be charged on the bike (which is what I do), so there usually isn't a reason to have to take it off on a regular basis.

thirdgenbird
06-28-2015, 08:57 PM
I thought about upside down and a rubber band just in case. Sounds like it should work right side up however. I think I'm going to pull the trigger.