PDA

View Full Version : Wheelset for Fierte that is not overly harsh

dbk222
04-30-2006, 07:03 PM
Hi,

I am a 155 lb rider considering getting a Fierte - I'd like to get a good wheelset, but not not that is overly harsh. I would appreciate any recommendations and opinions on any of the Easton wheels.

Thanks,

dbk

ergott
04-30-2006, 07:12 PM
Hi,

I am a 155 lb rider considering getting a Fierte - I'd like to get a good wheelset, but not not that is overly harsh. I would appreciate any recommendations and opinions on any of the Easton wheels.

Thanks,

dbk

Velocity Aerohead rims (OC rear)
good hubs
DR Revolutions, Aerolites, Sapim Race, or CX-Ray spokes
24/28 hole front and 28 hole rear.

Sorry for not being specific, but I don't have that much info. The spoke choice boils down to if you want bladed spokes. The CX-Rays and Aerolites are bladed and ride the same as the Race and Revolutions. There is a premium for bladed spokes. The spoke count would depend on What type of rider you are and what the road conditions would be. There are lots of hubs to choose from. The are some makers that only make Shimano freehub bodies, but you can use them on a Campy bike with a Shimano cassette. Shimano and Campy make great hubs and are tough to beat for the prices they come in at.

The reviews of Easton online are generally good, consider what you can get for the price and compare that to the other options out there. Another consideration is whether servicability is important to you.

CNY rider
04-30-2006, 07:32 PM
I'm about 150 lbs and ride a Legend. I have a DT 240s rear hub with a Velocity Aerohead rear wheel; up front is a Speedcific hub with a Nimble Spider rim. I bought them from Mike Garcia (Odds and Endos). I think that my Legend rides spectacularly well, and I think the wheels are a big part of the reason why.

stevep
04-30-2006, 07:44 PM
open pro w/ either shimano or campy hubs

SoCalSteve
04-30-2006, 08:13 PM
Listen to Ergott!

He knows of what he speaks.

Send him an email, give him a call. Let him build you a "custom" wheelset, just for you and your style of riding. No boutique wheelset will give you the comfort or pleasure as a hand built wheelset, built just for you.

Good luck!

Steve

Serotta PETE
05-01-2006, 08:02 AM
THe velocity is good or you can just get an OPEN PRO, 32 hole, with a standard mft hub.

It will ride just fine and be as comfortable.

Smiley
05-01-2006, 08:06 AM
Get a custom set of wheels and buy them from fellow forumite Ergott and Relax Don't Worry Anymore. Your smart enough to ask the question and you should be smart enough to go cutom and make your new bike work just to your liking . It should not cost you any more $$ then the gucci stuff out there too boot .

dbk222
05-01-2006, 08:30 AM
Thanks to everyone for their inputs! I will investigate a custom wheelset.

dbk

majorpat
05-01-2006, 08:37 AM
I've had Velomax (now Easton) Circuit wheels since I got my steel Fierte in 2001. Ride is great, not too light but not too heavy either. When I go to the Serotta after early spring on my beater I can certainly appreciate the difference. Haven't ridden the standard Open Pro wheel so I can't comment. Price is good ($399 at Colorado Cyclist). I don't remember the last time I had to take the spoke wrench to them or any other maintenance for that matter. Not sure what changed when Easton bought Velomax but they appear to be relatively the same.
I can recommend them with enthusiasm. Good luck.
Pat