PDA

View Full Version : Interesting results from the Redlands

Keith A
03-24-2004, 09:56 AM
I was reading the report on CyclingNews.com about the 5k uphill prologue that took place yesterday at the Redlands Bicycle Classic. Chris Honer won the men's event with a time of 8.25 min and Genvieve Jeanson won the women's in 9.58 min. This time is only 1.33 slower than Horner, but the interesting part is that her time was faster than 84 of the men -- which is almost half the participants in the men's event.

Another interesting number is that both Genvieve and Chris beat their respective 2nd place finisher by 22 seconds. That's a big chunk of time considering this was only a 5k time trial.

Ken Lehner
03-24-2004, 03:32 PM
In 2002, on the same course, Jeanson's time would've placed her 21st among the men.

Keith A
03-24-2004, 04:16 PM
Except she noted that there was some wind to deal with this year which is why her times weren't as fast. So I would suspect that given better wind conditions in 2002, that the men's times would be better as well.

Ken Lehner
03-24-2004, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by Keith A
Except she noted that there was some wind to deal with this year which is why her times weren't as fast. So I would suspect that given better wind conditions in 2002, that the men's times would be better as well.

Actually, her 2002 time would have been 21st in the men's 2002 race.

Keith A
03-24-2004, 06:31 PM
Thanks for correcting my mistake! She must be one tough lady!

Gravity’s Angel
03-24-2004, 10:00 PM
...as well as being a very nice person. Last summer as Jeanson and some of her teammates went pass me she invited me to join them for an easy spin. Made my week.
:beer:

Richard
03-25-2004, 07:36 AM
It is not that surprising when the top women slot in near the top men. What I've noticed in women's racing is not that the top is so far off the top of the men, but that the field are thin in talent. The differences in the top 10% of the men is very narrow while the top 10% of women is very wide.

Ken Lehner
03-25-2004, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by Richard
It is not that surprising when the top women slot in near the top men. What I've noticed in women's racing is not that the top is so far off the top of the men, but that the field are thin in talent. The differences in the top 10% of the men is very narrow while the top 10% of women is very wide.

The top women are not nearly as good as the top men. It is Jeanson alone who is so far better than the rest of the domestic-based women, enough to be competitive in uphill TTs with the top domestic-based men.

Richard
03-25-2004, 09:05 AM
Not to try to count the number of angels on a pinhead, but I both agree and disagree with your statement, Ken. But, I think that we have to define the term domestic based women. The best women, whether North American natives or not, race primarily in Europe. Interestingly, Jeanson does not. They come here for some races and when they do, they push Jeanson. Witness the fact that Jeanson seems somewhat vulnerable at this Redlands race. Today probably will tell.

As far as my top 10% comment goes, I still contend that, while the top women won't contend with the men, they would be respectable "in the field." The drop of of talent after that top echelon of women (whether 8%, 10%, who knows) is much steeper than in a men's field. That was my real point.