PDA

View Full Version : King r45 from Shimano 11 to Campagnolo

Ryun
06-27-2015, 10:41 AM
Cant exactly find the answer on the interwebs and I know I could call King on monday but thought Id check here.

Right off the bat, I know I can run a shimano 11 cassette with Campagnolo drivetrains. However, if I want to convert a King r45 hub that currently has a shimano 11 driveshell to Campagnolo, do I need an axle or can I just swap driveshells?
Ive seen both offered and more often they list the axle but they also list the axle when swapping Shimano 10 to 11 so I am guessing thats the change not so much Campy versus shimano.
Any experience here?
Ryun

parallelfish
06-27-2015, 11:33 AM
Campy drive shell has deeper grooves than Shimano, leaving less room for drive shell bearings. Thus the r45 Campy version has smaller diameter drive shell bearings than the Shimano version, and therefore a different axle.

radsmd
06-27-2015, 05:21 PM
https://cielo.chrisking.com/files/upload/instructions/R45_R45Disc_Manual_Web.pdf

According to the manual, the campy parts are "dedicated" including the axle and freehub body.

radsmd
06-27-2015, 05:28 PM
And conversion from shimano to campy requires both a conversion "kit and axle", per footnote 1 on chart on next to last page.

winmonster
06-28-2015, 05:05 PM
They sell a conversion kit that includes a new axle. I converted one from Campy 11 to Shimano 11 not so long ago (actually for the purple IF you sold me). Super easy to swap out after you pony up the $230. Oh, it looks like it's $300 to go the other way: http://www.avt.bike/WebStore/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=AVT&Product_Code=CK_R45_SHIM-CAMPY_CONVKIT&Category_Code=.

Ryun
06-28-2015, 06:27 PM
Thanks, Ill have to decide if it worth it.
Dont suppose you want to clear out the campy bits you swapped out :)

winmonster
06-29-2015, 06:13 AM
I'm holding onto those bits in case I want the wheels back or something neat pops up in the used market, especially now that I see the price!

Black Dog
06-29-2015, 07:15 AM
$300 to convert to campy when you can run fully compatible Shimano cassettes? I run campy and would be happy to have a Shimano 11 free hub (even with the poor spline design) to run 105 cassettes for the same performance and durability for a fraction of the price. If the King free hub bodies are steel then even better.

ergott
06-29-2015, 07:56 AM
I highly recommend leaving the wheel Shimano. The cassettes are less expensive for a given tier and the shifting is fine.

denapista
06-29-2015, 01:26 PM
Converting a Chris King Shimano 11 hub to Campy 11, is the only hub I'd just leave alone and run Shimano 11 cassettes. For $300 for the conversion, it doesn't make any sense. That's a large fraction of cost of a Chris King hub alone. How did they come up with that pricing in relation to the cost of just buying a hub? Maybe that was the goal? Make the conversion kit price so high, people will just buy the Campy R45 hubs. I always look out for Campy r45 hubs on ebay. They rarely pop up used. Not too many Campy people out there who dished out for the the Campy hubs when released.

oldpotatoe
06-29-2015, 05:35 PM
Converting a Chris King Shimano 11 hub to Campy 11, is the only hub I'd just leave alone and run Shimano 11 cassettes. For $300 for the conversion, it doesn't make any sense. That's a large fraction of cost of a Chris King hub alone. How did they come up with that pricing in relation to the cost of just buying a hub? Maybe that was the goal? Make the conversion kit price so high, people will just buy the Campy R45 hubs. I always look out for Campy r45 hubs on ebay. They rarely pop up used. Not too many Campy people out there who dished out for the the Campy hubs when released.

3 times+ the $ to convert Campagnolo, DT, WI, others. Typical CK, $300 answer to a $75 problem. But their headsets are great....