PDA

View Full Version : Do Vents in Sunglasses Lenses Work?

SlackMan
06-26-2015, 07:40 PM
I need some new sunglasses, and am wondering whether the vented lenses actually 'work?' Work for me would mean that in a hot humid environment they avoid fogging and provide some cooling to the brow so sweat doesn't drip down on my glasses. By vents, I am talking about the cutouts in lenses like the Oakley Racing Jacket has. I would appreciate hearing any experiences anyone has had, particularly those in hot humid environments. Thanks!

http://www.oakley.com/mam/celum/celum_assets/main_OO9171-16_racing-jacket_polished-white-black-iridium_001_67812_png_heroxl.jpg?1

christian
06-26-2015, 08:02 PM
I find they fog marginally less at slow speed on the mtb. Not much different on the road.

Anarchist
06-26-2015, 08:26 PM
Why does that picture need to be so big?

enr1co
06-26-2015, 08:30 PM
The vents seem to serve their purpose of letting air in to regulate/equalize the temp of the inside of lens to reduce fogging. I find them helpful in cooler or rainy weather. Not too much experience with them in hot humid conditions.

grawk
06-26-2015, 08:49 PM
Native's vented frames work pretty well

RyanH
06-26-2015, 08:49 PM
I've used them in 95*, 80-ish humidity and they worked well as long as I was moving. I find they fog up quickly at a red light but once you're above 10mph, they're clear. I haven't used non-vented glasses in a long time so I don't know how well "normal" glasses clear up while moving.

SlackMan
06-27-2015, 09:13 AM
Thanks all.

And Grawk, I didn't know Native made vented frames, so thanks for pointing that out. But, I searched and can't find any. Is there a particular model you can name? Thanks.

simonov
06-27-2015, 10:20 AM
I live in a very humid area. The vents definitely help with fogging, but have no cooling effect in my experience.

grawk
06-27-2015, 10:22 AM
Every pair of natives I've had has them. The vents aren't visible from the front.

rnhood
06-27-2015, 10:29 AM
I agree with most comments here, the vents help a little in specific conditions - like humid cool mountain rides - although I would not base my buying decision on whether a particular pair I liked had them or not. I have sometimes merely pulled my glasses down my nose about a mm to help with venting and this appears to pretty much do the same thing. And I have also ridden in thick fog where vented glasses, in addition to being pulled down a little, still fogged up.

mgm777
06-27-2015, 05:57 PM
I have a pair of Racing Jackets with a vented lens and a pair of Radar Lock with a non-vented lens. Based on my limited sample size, n=2, I find the vented lens does resist fogging more than the non-vented lens. Can't speak to humid areas though, as I live in Colorado. We don't have significant humidity.

SlowPokePete
06-28-2015, 08:34 AM
I think it has a lot to do with how much your face sweats.

I sweat a lot, and have found the vents on my Oakley Jawbones do make a difference. They do fog up sometimes anyway, though.

SPP

EPIC! Stratton
06-29-2015, 03:52 PM
I also find these tend to fog less than other glasses, but YMMV. Otherwise doesn't do much IMHO.