PDA

View Full Version : Rock Climbing.. El Cap Video with Honnold, Hill, Caldwell

pbarry
06-25-2015, 07:01 PM
Pretty cool interactive features. The short video is worth watching.https://www.google.com/maps/about/behind-the-scenes/streetview/treks/yosemite/#start

bobswire
06-25-2015, 08:38 PM
Thanks for heads up, I'm very impressed and jealous of these guys. I always envisioned climbing much like Everest until the first time I visited Yosemite with my girlfriend Nancy in 1995 and witnessed climbers scaling ElCap.

weisan
06-25-2015, 08:39 PM
I thought we have already invented helicopter?

I can't get over the "tower" - ledge where they set up overnight camp.

gasman
06-25-2015, 10:11 PM
Very cool. Thanks for posting that. I don't think most people realize what talent these climbers have. I've climbed a baby route on the far right side of El Cap and it was a really long day. Now some of these people climb the nose in just over 2 hours-oy vay.

BSUdude
06-26-2015, 08:33 AM
Awesome, thanks for posting.

Closest I will ever get to doing that.

JAllen
06-26-2015, 05:07 PM
Great post! Thank you for sharing. It makes me want to get out and go climb.

dnades
06-26-2015, 10:24 PM
INtense. Must be an amazing feeling jumping 8 feet to catch a 1/2" grip so high up. Thanks for the link.

pbarry
06-27-2015, 01:34 PM
Very cool. Thanks for posting that. I don't think most people realize what talent these climbers have. I've climbed a baby route on the far right side of El Cap and it was a really long day. Now some of these people climb the nose in just over 2 hours-oy vay.

They are amazing, gods of the granite. Hannold and Caldwell both started climbing as children, iirc, and Hill started at 13, young for that generation. That's a huge factor in their success, imo. Not unlike world class gymnasts.

The sport has reached a level with the young guns, that no one who begins in their 20s, can ever hope to match that level of difficulty and speed. It's become extremely athletic, with a huge endurance factor and requires a mental acumen that cannot be taught. Most of the high speed accents are now planned for months or years in advance, so what seems like a time trial to a non-climber, is actually well planned for and choreographed.

Just musings above. Mad respect for these people and what they do.