PDA

View Full Version : Cambridge counting cyclists

wc1934
06-25-2015, 06:52 PM
Technology - amazes me.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2015/06/25/counter-tracks-number-cyclists-passing-through-kendall-square/mVaq1RazPy4KxY5trbJplJ/story.html

shovelhd
06-25-2015, 07:08 PM
This is awesome. The comments, predictable.

vav
06-25-2015, 08:17 PM
Ha! Saw it today while riding during my lunch. Had no idea what it was.

oldpotatoe
06-26-2015, 06:43 AM
This is awesome. The comments, predictable.

By dazzle, undoubtedly. Yes, cars run red lights also but far less frequently than people on bikes. As I ride around the republic, I see a guy onna bike run a red light every ride. When I drive, I infrequently see cars run a red light.

We are our own worse enemy. Boulder is trying an experiment by changing 4 lanes(2 each direction) to 3,a common center turn lane and WIDE protected bike lanes each direction, on 3 busy streets. Comments are predictable. If people on bikes didn't run red lights, the comments would reflect that, IMHO. Yes, some just don't like bikes co-habitating with a car but..

MattTuck
06-26-2015, 07:05 AM
I haven't been to Cambridge in years, but that looks like its just off the Longfellow Bridge. Can anyone confirm that?

Would love to see a statistic showing how many light cycles are saved for cars because of cyclists. It should be a straight forward calculation if you know the number of bikes at given times.

And that might have more of an impact on driver perceptions.

EPIC! Stratton
06-26-2015, 10:49 AM
I'd like to see one of these by the Harvard Bridge (Mass Ave). In Boston it'd be nice to see one on Mass Ave, maybe near the CSC. Busy commuter routes.

eippo1
06-26-2015, 11:18 AM
I haven't been to Cambridge in years, but that looks like its just off the Longfellow Bridge. Can anyone confirm that?

Would love to see a statistic showing how many light cycles are saved for cars because of cyclists. It should be a straight forward calculation if you know the number of bikes at given times.

And that might have more of an impact on driver perceptions.

Haven't seen it in person, but it certainly looks that way. I'm also curious how much the pings go up once they actually finish the work on the Longfellow and open it back up. Seems like a silly place to put it right now.

FlashUNC
06-26-2015, 11:21 AM
Similar counters already installed out here on Market St on my walk to work every morning.

SF has tried to turn Market into a thoroughfare almost exclusively for bikes and mass transit.

kevinvc
06-26-2015, 01:14 PM
Portland installed one of these in 2012 on a major bike commuting bridge. It was donated to the City and was the first of its kind in the country. There's a web page (http://portland-hawthorne-bridge.visio-tools.com/) where people can see the daily numbers.

It's kind of cool to see there have been almost 5 million crossings since it was installed.