PDA

View Full Version : Pressing in a headset - how challenging?

BdaGhisallo
04-30-2006, 03:59 PM
Just wondering how much of a challenge removing and pressing in a new headset is for a home mechanic. I do all of my own maintenance and do and have done everything on my bike short of headset installation and chasing and facing tasks. I won't be messing with the base plate on the fork crown. This is simply a swapping of the hs cups.

I want to remove an old King headset ( its finish is looking a little nasty and I want a black one!) and press in a new King. I already have a set of King adaptors on the way, so that the local shop isn't tempted to use the wrong press adaptors and ruin my hs. It's such a pain to get into the lbs here at a time when it's not busy and they can do it while I wait, after riding in. They always will if it's not busy but saturdays always are.

That park press tool is looking tempting... though, if I am honest with myself, I won't get full value out of it since I will seldom use it! But still, it's mighty tempting.

So what do you think? Much of a challenge to get out an old hs and press in the King?

And how do King headsets do when being recycled? Are they pretty resistant to getting hammered out of an old frame and installed in a new one? I have an old and damaged frame I wouldn't mind salvaging the King hs from.

As always, thanks for all your helpful advice.
Geoff

Tony Edwards
04-30-2006, 04:16 PM
Replacing a headset is one of the easier jobs in bicycle maintenance, so long as you have the appropriate tools (many a home mechanic has banged in a headset using a bit of wood and a hammer, not a practice I favor). Personally I don't use a cup press often enough to buy one - this is a job a shop can do in literally one minute.

King headsets are, as you know, burly as hell, and they respond fine to being recycled (again, so long as you have the tools for the job - don't try to remove it with a hammer and a screwdriver, another stupid home mechanic trick).

e-RICHIE
04-30-2006, 04:40 PM
king headsets have their own specific
male pieces for pressing them in.
i'd like to say the same for myself, but
that would be an outright lie. a fantasy
perhaps, but a lie just the same atmo.

PsyDoc
04-30-2006, 04:54 PM
You can do a search for a homemade headset press. Here is the one I put together:

http://www.azaleacitycyclists.com/headsetpress.jpg

The part (below) that contacts the headset is a washer for public toliet that I found at a hardware store. The metal part is made of brass.

http://www.azaleacitycyclists.com/washer.jpg

I installed my King headset with this setup and everything went in smoothly. If you use such a set up, then some recommend doing one cup at a time, which is what I did.

eddief
04-30-2006, 05:01 PM
http://www.mindspring.com/~d.g1/headset.html

Be mindful and patient and getting the cups in should not be too difficult.

For getting them out I have used an extension from my socket set and a little banging. So far so good. But that's why some things are called crap shoots.

SoCalSteve
04-30-2006, 06:34 PM
Just wondering how much of a challenge removing and pressing in a new headset is for a home mechanic. I do all of my own maintenance and do and have done everything on my bike short of headset installation and chasing and facing tasks. I won't be messing with the base plate on the fork crown. This is simply a swapping of the hs cups.

I want to remove an old King headset ( its finish is looking a little nasty and I want a black one!) and press in a new King. I already have a set of King adaptors on the way, so that the local shop isn't tempted to use the wrong press adaptors and ruin my hs. It's such a pain to get into the lbs here at a time when it's not busy and they can do it while I wait, after riding in. They always will if it's not busy but saturdays always are.

That park press tool is looking tempting... though, if I am honest with myself, I won't get full value out of it since I will seldom use it! But still, it's mighty tempting.

So what do you think? Much of a challenge to get out an old hs and press in the King?

And how do King headsets do when being recycled? Are they pretty resistant to getting hammered out of an old frame and installed in a new one? I have an old and damaged frame I wouldn't mind salvaging the King hs from.

As always, thanks for all your helpful advice.
Geoff

Almost bought one, but economic reason got the best of me...

It will take many r & r headsets to pay for that tool. Plus the tool to remove the old headset, plus the crown race removal tool and install tool.

Slip your favorite bike mechanic a $20.00 and see how many favors that will bring you when it comes to headset r & r's.

Good luck!

Steve

billrick
04-30-2006, 07:01 PM
If you buy or trade frames a lot, it is worth it to buy the Park press, especially when you consider that some King headsets are going for $145.

I used a homemade version for a while and there were always a few headsets that just would not go in straight. The Park works every single time. It was pricey, but it is so satisfying to get the KING logos matched up and centered! It is easily my favorite part of the build process.

Plus you can always get near full price on ebay if you end up selling it. It is one of the few bike tools that holds its value.

Edit: crimminy, I just saw that the suggested retail on a King is now $154!

:)

Ginger
04-30-2006, 07:11 PM
I admit that I don't use my Park headset press as often as perhaps would be economically prudent. However, buddies, aquaintences, and total strangers come over to borrow it (and the headset removal tool) for the 10 minute job of removing and installing a headset.

Installing a headset is far easier than installing and adjusting a front derailure.

gdw
04-30-2006, 07:18 PM
Homemade presses like those shown in the other posts work great and are easy to make. I use an old 27.2mm Laprade type seatpost with the clamp mechanism removed to tap out the old cups. Place the base of the seatpost against the cup and give the seatpost top a couple of sharp whacks with a plastic hammer. The cups come out easily and the rounded edges of the old seatpost/punch don't scratch or damage the headtube like a scewdriver might.

harlond
04-30-2006, 07:31 PM
http://www.mindspring.com/~d.g1/headset.html

Be mindful and patient and getting the cups in should not be too difficult.

For getting them out I have used an extension from my socket set and a little banging. So far so good. But that's why some things are called crap shoots.+1 on the installation rig. Cost me about $11 and worked perfectly.

BdaGhisallo
04-30-2006, 07:32 PM
thanks for all the feedback. It sounds like I can handle the procedure no problem. Now if I go for it I only need to handle the cost!

Out of curiousity, when pressing in a hs, should you grease, or use any other substance on the cup sleeves that press into the headtube or should they go in dry and totally clean?

Thanks again.

DfCas
04-30-2006, 07:33 PM
http://www.picpile.com/image.php?img=701976465.jpg

The wood blocks can be made from plywood,and will not harm King headsets.I pressed in many with them before I bought the official tool.The iron gas pipie works well to knock out the cups. Go slowly,and work your way around.You need both 1/2 and 3/4 ID pipe.

dan

billrick
04-30-2006, 07:38 PM
Just saw that Park has a new "home mechanic" press for $55:

Park Press at Speedgoat (http://www.speedgoat.com/product.asp?part=113755&cat=330&brand=184)

PHOTO (http://www.parktool.com/products/bigpicture.asp?picture=spr_HHP-3_2005922_35260.jpg)

It looks like the one I built out of washers and threaded rod for $5!

;)

Seriously, Park is a fantastic company and I'd suggest this one without hesitation.

Peter P.
04-30-2006, 09:59 PM
Just purchase some 1/2-5/8" threaded rod and some nuts/washers to fit, as well as some oversized washers to fit the O.D. of the cups. That's what I did and it still works some 20 years later.

I use the real McCoy for cup removal; the other substitutes mentioned sound reasonble. Just don't use a screwdriver; that's butcher work.

Press in one cup at a time. Too often, when trying to press both in at the same time, they tilt in separate directions and by trying to force them to straighten out by applying more force, you stand the chance of ovalizing your headtube or damaging the cups.

Even though you say you're not removing the old fork crown race, here's a tip: When replacing a fork crown race, remove the old one using a punch and a hammer. Place the new crown race on the steerer, then place the OLD crown race on the steerer in the inverted position. Slide a piece of pipe over the steerer and bang away. The inverted fork crown race matches the face of the new crown race perfectly, thus it makes a great crown race setter.

And yes, grease the headtube where the cups will seat.