PDA

View Full Version : So what do I need to know to build up a Specialized Tarmac frame?

Avincent52
06-25-2015, 01:57 PM
I admit I'm a retrogrouch, but I'm thinking about getting my first "modern" bike--carbon fiber, modern 10/11 speed shifting, some kind of modestly aero wheels and a total weight that's well under 20 pounds.

If I buy a frameset here that's a few years old, like a Specialized Tarmac, or a Cannondale or a Fuji or the like, what do I need to know to make sure everything's compatible.

I gather a modern mechanical group like a Campy Athena or maybe an Ultegra will fit most frames, right? Is there a reason *not* to buy used? Is there a particular sweet spot in terms of cost/value?

What about compatibilities for things like seat post/bar & stem/bottom bracket?

Wheels?
If I go with the Campy Athena, can I buy a set of wheels with Dura Ace hubs and have the cassette fit and function properly?

And what else do I need to know about spending my money wisely on used but relatively new bikes and/or gear?

texbike
06-25-2015, 02:07 PM
I admit I'm a retrogrouch, but I'm thinking about getting my first "modern" bike--carbon fiber, modern 10/11 speed shifting, some kind of modestly aero wheels and a total weight that's well under 20 pounds.

If I buy a frameset here that's a few years old, like a Specialized Tarmac, or a Cannondale or a Fuji or the like, what do I need to know to make sure everything's compatible.

I gather a modern mechanical group like a Campy Athena or maybe an Ultegra will fit most frames, right? Is there a reason *not* to buy used? Is there a particular sweet spot in terms of cost/value?

What about compatibilities for things like seat post/bar & stem/bottom bracket?

Wheels?
If I go with the Campy Athena, can I buy a set of wheels with Dura Ace hubs and have the cassette fit and function properly?

And what else do I need to know about spending my money wisely on used but relatively new bikes and/or gear?

I'm not so sure about the DA wheels/cassette/Campy compatibility unless it is 11 speed. Others can chime in on that.

The key things that you will probably want to know are:

1. What size seatpost does the frame use (if one isn't included), and
2. What is the BB platform used by the bike.

Everything else will be easy/cheesy. Oh, and it would probably help to know if the frame is set up for electronic shifting only...

There are a lot of great bikes out there. Just find something that turns you on, fits, and fits your budget.

Texbike

Bostic
06-25-2015, 02:13 PM
See if you can find a Tarmac that uses a threaded bottom bracket. I had a 2010 Comp SL2 that had one. That will make a Campagnolo install much easier than dealing with a Tarmac that has the Specialized version of BB30. The SL3, SL4, current is lighter, though how much I don't know, but the carbon is 'better' 10 or 11 series. The weight weenies forum and the Specialized sub forum of roadbikereview have plenty of information on getting Campagnolo to work on oversized bottom brackets.

That Tarmac accelerated and descended better than any bike I have ridden by a long shot. I gave it to my brother in law to get him into cycling and it worked. He has a full garage now of bikes.

54ny77
06-25-2015, 02:29 PM
Look for an SL2. Can be had cheap now. Very user-friendly. Has BSA bottom bracket, external cable routing, etc.

Fast, stiff, and it will tell you no less than 15 times on the frame in various locations what brand and model it is, just in case you forget.

eddief
06-25-2015, 02:37 PM
I did not own a torque wrench until I entered the carbon world. Mostly concerned about steer tube and carbon bars and post.

Carbon paste for seat post. Don't overclamp the tubes in the repair stand. (could wreck your day.)

shovelhd
06-25-2015, 04:11 PM
If you end up with a recent model with the OSBB bottom bracket, Praxis Works makes a nice conversion BB for Shimano or Campy UT.

Avincent52
06-25-2015, 05:03 PM
Apologies if this violates forum etiquette in some way, but this is the frame I'm considering. Seems to be an SL-2 in my size, in nice condition, with subtle graphics for a Specialized.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=169926&highlight=tarmac

I'm thinking about a Campy Athena group or even a Chorus if I find a used one at a decent price and I'm wondering how that will work with the BB30 bottom bracket on this one.

And ballpark, what's the likely total outlay for the bike if I look for nice, but-not-necessarily screaming, once-in-a-lifetime deals on the classifieds here or ebay for the group, wheels, and miscellaneous other parts like bars and seat post.

There was an SL4 Works bike in 54 cm (not my size but not weird either) with Ultegra on the classified recently for an asking of $2000.

Thanks in advance. I'm truly grateful for your help, and this education on-the-fly

tuscanyswe
06-25-2015, 05:28 PM
There are cups available for bb30 and campagnolo 10/11 cranksets. The reviews are however not always great. So be sure to look into what is the best option for fitting the cranks you want / buy.

Ebay is a good source for getting values on used (and new) items so compare them to the popular online shops and c if you think the cash reduction on used group sets are worth it. For usa residents i feel the eu online shops that remove vat for non-eu shipments and have very aggressive pricing may be a better option as it seems vat+duty is rarely collected for you lucky guys! :)
Used groups may need new chain or cassette as well so factor that in unless you are buying from a nice forumite with full disclosure on milage / condition.

Athena 11: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=campagnolo+athena+groupset&_sop=10&_sadis=15&_dmd=1&LH_Complete=1&_osacat=0&_ipg=25&_stpos=10010&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.A0.H0.Xcampag nolo+athena+11+groupset.TRS1&_nkw=campagnolo+athena+11+groupset&_sacat=0

Chorus 11: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=chorus+11+campagnolo+groupset&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&LH_Complete=1&_udlo=&_udhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=10010&_sargn=-1%26saslc%3D1&_salic=1&_sop=10&_dmd=1&_ipg=25

Avincent52
06-25-2015, 08:42 PM
Thanks. I was surprised at the strong pricing from UK outlets when I was shopping tires.
If I go new, is the Chorus ($950) really worth almost twice as much as the Athena ($500)?

Tandem Rider
06-26-2015, 07:33 AM
FWIW, my SL4 biggest tires are 25's, my old SL2 handled 28's. Both handle great.

FlashUNC
06-26-2015, 07:35 AM
If you like creaks, get BB30. Otherwise, find one thats threaded.