PDA

View Full Version : F1 fork- any problems?

jpw
04-30-2006, 01:01 PM
Does the F1 fork have any known problems, or is it reliable and trustworthy?

Any experiences you may wish to share would be gratefully received.

P.S. Steerer and tips: alu or ti? Thank you.

bulliedawg
04-30-2006, 01:14 PM
The F1 is beloved by all. It's heavy but sublime. Mine is aluminum steerer and ti tips.

Some think it's the greatest carbon fork in the history of cyclng.

Dr. Doofus
04-30-2006, 01:17 PM
its a tank

(like an abrams, not like a sherman...robust, fast and a real *** kicker)

Ken Robb
04-30-2006, 01:30 PM
we'll have to check with Kevan to see how he likes the one on my CSI. He's putting more miles on it in two weeks than it had gone in total before.

It always felt great to me and I have had some problems with lesser carbon and aluminum forks in the past i.e. big wobbles!

F-1 tracks like on rails.

Bruce K
04-30-2006, 01:55 PM
My F1 Ti has over five thousand miles over 3+ seasons under a CLysdale rider and is doing just fine.

BK

Sandy
04-30-2006, 02:03 PM
I have a F1 on my CSI, and a F2 on my Ottrott. I realize that both the frame and materials are different. However, I like the F1 better. A firmer more adhered to the road ride with great road feel and compliancy. Seems more solid.

Sandy

raven
04-30-2006, 03:56 PM
I think I might have one of the very first ones off the line, or at least a first batch.
1996 1" steel steerer, threadless, ti tips. It was supposed to ship with my CSI, but it got pushed back in its rollout by a month or two- worth the wait though.

It pairs with the CSI perfectly. It's also on my '97 Ti Legend; But it doesn't match up as well to titaniums inherent suppleness/dampning. I think the F3 6.5 layup would work best in this case (for my weight 140lbs).

10 years later, I'm still riding it (too many miles to count). True, it's a heavy club, but that might be testimony to its longevity. 0 problems. Trustworthy like all Serotta products I've used.

p.s. Thanks Dave

SoCalSteve
05-01-2006, 12:26 AM
I have a 1999 F1 that came with my Hors Cat (that I bought last summer on ebay).

Smiley has tried to talk me out of it and into an Ouzo Pro...but, I really like it!

I may be heavy, but who cares? I think it tracks really well, very stable and it aesthetically matches the Hors Cat perfectly with the Serotta Ti quill stem.

Steve

dbrk
05-01-2006, 12:36 AM
Terrible tire clearances, imo, usually not more than an average 23mm tire. Why in the world a fork should be so limited in design is entirely beyond me. But it rides wonderfully.

dbrk

DRZRM
05-01-2006, 07:13 AM
After almost 10 years of riding, one of my dropouts started squeaking on my '96 Legend's F-1 fork (it was coming loose). I bought a wound up to replace, but as soon as I mounted it, a Big Boy Blue NOS F-1 (unfortunately with Al dropouts, my frame is Cha-Ching Green, ouch :no: ) became available (from Europe, thanks ClassiqueTi). Though I had no complaints with the Wound-Up, without hesitation I went back to the F-1, if just feels right on that bike. I'm almost used to the Blue/Green fengshui combo, I figure silver bartape may help tie everything together up front.

I'll post a pic soon.

victoryfactory
05-01-2006, 07:59 AM
I'm almost used to the Blue/Green fengshui combo,
I'll post a pic soon.

Hey DRZRM
I didn't know there was a Blue/Green Fungshui problem.....

VF

DRZRM
05-01-2006, 09:31 AM
You tell me, I'm having a bit of trouble getting my head around the fork color. I think new tape can help.

ZRM

I'm having trouble adding an image so here is a link.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f302/drzrm/P1010241.jpg

victoryfactory
05-01-2006, 10:47 AM
Wow

That's a beautiful bike
But now I see what you are talking about

VF