PDA

View Full Version : Chainring Wobble: How much is okay?

DHallerman
06-23-2015, 01:14 PM
Okay, as in acceptable.
Acceptable, as in functional.

This is with a compact double crank on, of course, a square tapered bottom backet. Note the following:
(1) I tried all four positions to find the one with the least wobble.
(2) I used a rubber mallet to seat the crank arm before installing the crank bolt.
(3) I even tried two different cranksets, same model, and one had less wobble than the other, but still...
(4) I installed the cranks two ways, both with a light layer of grease on the bottom bracket spindle and without.

So, "how much is okay/acceptable/functional" might be a difficult question to answer without seeing the setup.

I just know this is a bit more wobble than I'm used to. But what degree of chainring wobble has been okay for you?

Also, this will be with a Campy Ergo shifter, so the front derailleur has more play than with Shimano shifters.

Dave, who is considering just removing that bottom bracket and using an entirely different setup of bottom bracket and cranks

jischr
06-23-2015, 02:34 PM
If its just chain ring wobble try loosening the bolt(s) that causes inward wobble and put a shim under so it runs straight(er). I did this once and got rid of the annoying rub on the FD cage.

Black Dog
06-23-2015, 03:36 PM
As long as the wobble does not cause rub on the FD the. No worries. To fix it get an adjustable wrench. And bend the chain ring to get it in alignment. Easy fix.

DHallerman
06-23-2015, 04:37 PM
As long as the wobble does not cause rub on the FD the. No worries. To fix it get an adjustable wrench. And bend the chain ring to get it in alignment. Easy fix.

Might work, and thanks, but I don't think I want to bend these not-cheap (TA Zephyr) chainrings.

DHallerman
06-23-2015, 04:39 PM
If its just chain ring wobble try loosening the bolt(s) that causes inward wobble and put a shim under so it runs straight(er). I did this once and got rid of the annoying rub on the FD cage.

Interesting idea, and I'm trying to picture how it might work.

I mean, if I put a shim or a small washer under the bolt that has the most inward wobble, wouldn't that thicken things, so to speak, and push that inward one further inward?

Black Dog
06-23-2015, 08:27 PM
Might work, and thanks, but I don't think I want to bend these not-cheap (TA Zephyr) chainrings.

Check to see if the ring is indeed flat by placing them against the glass of a window. If it is, then your spider is out of alignment. Bending the rings will not damage them. Just put a rag over the ring to protect it form the adjustable wrench. This is a common fix that folks have been doing for a long time. It is generally only done with the big ring since the small ring tends to have less wobble and is much harder to straighten.

jischr
06-23-2015, 09:44 PM
The shim goes between the spider arm and the ring. I'm talking beer can thickness. I think I made mine from an old feeler gauge set.