PDA

View Full Version : More PEDs use -- US masters champion

Keith A
06-23-2015, 12:07 PM
The US Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) today suspended Mebane, North Carolina's Peter Cannell for doping. 37 year-old Cannell tested positive for the anabolic agent drostanolone in an out-of-competition test taken on April 16, 2010.

More details here...
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/us-masters-champion-suspended-for-steroid

cfox
06-23-2015, 12:11 PM
Way to go, you pathetic little man.

edit: this is a story from April 2011??

MattTuck
06-23-2015, 12:29 PM
Yeah, there's something fishy about the dates. This may be an old story.

Still, I came here thinking Jordan Spieth was in trouble. Glad to see that is not the case.

Keith A
06-23-2015, 12:30 PM
Good question, I thought it was a recent story that a friend sent me. At the top it shows...
By Laura Weislo February 02, 2015 5:45pm
Updated: April 08, 2011 7:09pm

But that doesn't make any sense that the update was prior to the date of the story :confused:

cfox
06-23-2015, 12:35 PM
regardless of the dates, my initial reply stands.

Joachim
06-23-2015, 04:36 PM
Pretty sure his suspension is long done. Very old story.

shovelhd
06-24-2015, 06:50 AM
Sometimes suspensions get delayed by appeals. Not so in this case. He accepted on 5/17/2010.

Keith A
06-24-2015, 07:32 AM
Thanks for the updates.

fiataccompli
06-24-2015, 07:42 AM
you might be taking your cycling/racing hobby too seriously if.....

shovelhd
06-24-2015, 10:26 AM
It's an issue.

54ny77
06-24-2015, 10:34 AM
Dunno what it's like in rest of country's cycling hotbeds, but in SoCal it's comical. Pathetic, really.

It's an issue.

tommyrod74
06-24-2015, 12:00 PM
It's an issue.

This particular suspension is an issue again as the guy showed up to - and subsequently won - this ride/race over the past weekend:

http://tourdekale.com/

It's likely you all are seeing the article link from people on Facebook who are upset he's racing again. I saw it on several friends' timelines and thought to myself, "I thought he already got popped a few years back".

He had a decent coaching business at the time and was winning races right and left. Lots of people are a bit miffed he's racing again, and there have been a few Facebook treatises from past competitors (and teammates, interestingly) saying, "dude, stay away from our sport", basically.

This one in particular didn't seem to make a lot of friends, even before the positive. I was full-on XC racing at the time (as I still am, but lots of road now too) and never raced him or met him, AFAIK.

Joachim
06-24-2015, 12:07 PM
This particular suspension is an issue again as the guy showed up to - and subsequently won - this ride/race over the past weekend:

http://tourdekale.com/

It's likely you all are seeing the article link from people on Facebook who are upset he's racing again. I saw it on several friends' timelines and thought to myself, "I thought he already got popped a few years back".

He had a decent coaching business at the time and was winning races right and left. Lots of people are a bit miffed he's racing again, and there have been a few Facebook treatises from past competitors (and teammates, interestingly) saying, "dude, stay away from our sport", basically.

This one in particular didn't seem to make a lot of friends, even before the positive. I was full-on XC racing at the time (as I still am, but lots of road now too) and never raced him or met him, AFAIK.

As much as its an issue, he has served his suspension. He is allowed back, whether they want him to stay away or not. Until WADA rules change, he can ride after his suspension. Does the tour de kale fall under USA cycling rules anyway?

FlashUNC
06-24-2015, 12:30 PM
David Le Duke is still the King of Masters Dopers in NC.

That guy was something else...

Joachim
06-24-2015, 12:41 PM
David Le Duke is still the King of Masters Dopers in NC.

That guy was something else...

This is the funniest piece written about David Le Duc

https://pvcycling.wordpress.com/tag/david-leduc/

FlashUNC
06-24-2015, 01:00 PM

The stuff I saw him do in races around NC for nearly two decades was unreal. I was amazed it took that long for him to get popped.

tommyrod74
06-24-2015, 01:04 PM
As much as its an issue, he has served his suspension. He is allowed back, whether they want him to stay away or not. Until WADA rules change, he can ride after his suspension. Does the tour de kale fall under USA cycling rules anyway?

It's unsanctioned, so I suppose not.

He's allowed to race as much as he wants, within the rules, if his suspension is served. It's more that no one wants him around anymore, and if it were me, I'd feel awfully strange showing up to a party that no one wanted me to attend.

I have no dog in the fight, in that if he's there I'll race anyway, and not worry too much about it. I'm just surprised that anyone would come back after that, and with the obvious antipathy displayed. I'm very competitive, but the social aspect of racing is important to me as well - and if I felt shunned socially for having cheated, I'd never dream of coming back.

tommyrod74
06-24-2015, 01:06 PM
The stuff I saw him do in races around NC for nearly two decades was unreal. I was amazed it took that long for him to get popped.

He was somewhat open about it around other racers, FWIW. Surprised as well that it took so long.

redir
06-24-2015, 01:22 PM

Yup been in several races with him, both guys actually. I always was inspired, call me naive I guess. Oh well.

MattTuck
06-24-2015, 01:40 PM

that is pretty darn funny. a little juvenile, but that adds to the hilarity.

shovelhd
06-24-2015, 02:19 PM
In the Northeast, see Lisban Quintero and Juan Pineda. Both are sponsored and currently racing after suspension. These are just two of the guys who got caught.

laupsi
06-24-2015, 02:23 PM

bordering genius!

shovelhd
06-24-2015, 02:55 PM
What's interesting is when the ex-pros dope as Masters. You never really know if it's just because of proven ability or if they are artificially enhanced. Now when some idiot Cat3 gets popped that's just sad.

54ny77
06-24-2015, 03:07 PM
An ex-pro doping master is just baiting the field.

What's interesting is when the ex-pros dope as Masters. You never really know if it's just because of proven ability or if they are artificially enhanced. Now when some idiot Cat3 gets popped that's just sad.

Uncle Jam's Army
06-24-2015, 06:07 PM
None of these doped-up geezers have anything on our very own Richard Meeker, who now runs a juice bar called "Sejuiced."

Tandem Rider
06-24-2015, 09:15 PM
None of these doped-up geezers have anything on our very own Richard Meeker, who now runs a juice bar called "Sejuiced."

Now THAT'S funny!!

shovelhd
06-24-2015, 09:42 PM

You know what sucks? He has eight jerseys. Eight guys got robbed by that punk.

54ny77
06-24-2015, 09:44 PM
UJA you HAVE to be kidding me?

Unreal.

Only in CdM.

Shovelhd--more than imaginable.

mgm777
06-25-2015, 12:03 AM

Unreal.

Only in CdM.

Back when I was living in O.C., that dude was crushing everything. At the time, I think he was sponsored by Postal, as a master's racer.

Uncle Jam's Army
06-25-2015, 12:35 AM

Unreal.

Only in CdM.

You can't make stuff like this up. It's just too rich.

54ny77
06-25-2015, 10:13 AM
That would have been the Amgen/U.S. Postal masters team.

Oh the irony.

Funny reading here:

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/cgi-bin/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_flat;post=4870149;page=1;s b=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;mh=-1;

Back when I was living in O.C., that dude was crushing everything. At the time, I think he was sponsored by Postal, as a master's racer.

Dr Luxurious
06-25-2015, 10:47 AM
It just baffles me that anyone other than a high level pro would even think of juicing. I mean, I get it if your a pro and juicing means you can make $$$ or just stay fast enough to keep your job.
But for anybody else it's just nuts. Is winning a local crit really that important? I just don't get it.

Also - how are these masters and cat 3s getting caught? Who's testing them?

And, where the hell are they getting the stuff, anyway???? It's not like The Man on the corner can hook you up.

fiataccompli
06-25-2015, 11:00 AM
Exactly. Sadly, I know a lot of amateur racers who take their racing so so seriously.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joachim
06-25-2015, 11:05 AM
It just baffles me that anyone other than a high level pro would even think of juicing. I mean, I get it if your a pro and juicing means you can make $$$ or just stay fast enough to keep your job.
But for anybody else it's just nuts. Is winning a local crit really that important? I just don't get it.

Also - how are these masters and cat 3s getting caught? Who's testing them?

And, where the hell are they getting the stuff, anyway???? It's not like The Man on the corner can hook you up.

The internet made the man on the corner obsolete. I can probably write a couple of pages on what's available out there, but that's because its in my line of work. If someone wants to find something, they find it.

fiataccompli
06-25-2015, 11:07 AM
Well, my son gets pretty excited if I bring home $50 in winnings...maybe I should start doping, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MattTuck
06-25-2015, 11:08 AM

yes, there are people who take racing that seriously. They're sad people hurting on the inside and racing is the only way they can measure their self worth.

As I see it, you have two choices. Buy a Specialized Venge or Dope.

Dr Luxurious
06-25-2015, 11:42 AM
The internet made the man on the corner obsolete.

Really? How? It's not like you can ebay andro or EPO.
Is it that they know someone willing to write a bogus Rx or something?
And, damn, they must be trusting souls. There could be anything in those vials!
Crazy to chance disease or death for something like this...

As I see it, you have two choices. Buy a Specialized Venge or Dope.

Or train.

TMB
06-25-2015, 11:46 AM

Or train.

But that's hard.

Joachim
06-25-2015, 11:47 AM

Or train.

Easy, but I'm really not going to list all the avenues. Others can chime in that know me personally if you think I'm full of hot air.

FlashUNC
06-25-2015, 11:58 AM

Or train.

Ahem...someone doping as a mid-pack Cat 3: http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/08/news/in-search-of-relevance-a-cat-3-turns-to-epo-and-hgh_232611

Here's a comprehensive list on "amateur doping" articles from Outside. Short answer: Its really not that hard if you have the money. Stuart Stevens article, even today, is fascinating reading.

http://www.outsideonline.com/1784021/what%E2%80%99s-it-dope

shovelhd
06-25-2015, 12:03 PM
You can buy this junk on the web from foreign countries that could give two ····s about a prescription.

It's not just Masters, although they may be more readily available to those that have the thousands of dollars to drop on it. It's not even only USAC racers. Two guys got popped a couple of years ago on a gran fondo. They were giving away bikes and frames for winners of the timed sections. You won't see that too often at USAC races. The fondo did test the winners and that's how they got caught. USAC tests randomly and very periodically due to cost. Lately the effort is to go after the supply side, i.e. coaches, importers, etc. because it's cheaper than testing.

54ny77
06-25-2015, 12:33 PM
when you have the $, you can get what you want without going to tijuana and rolling the dice. it's that simple.

Joachim
06-25-2015, 12:43 PM
12 months of your life, 10k and two plane tickets to Gran Canaria.... You can be Meeker too!

azrider
06-25-2015, 12:52 PM
You can't make stuff like this up. It's just too rich.

wow

https://pvcycling.wordpress.com/tag/richard-meeker/

CunegoFan
06-25-2015, 02:56 PM
Or train.

People take drugs so they can train more and harder than they could without them.

yngpunk
06-25-2015, 03:27 PM
Easy, but I'm really not going to list all the avenues. Others can chime in that know me personally if you think I'm full of hot air.

NY Times recently did an article about this:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/22/world/asia/in-china-illegal-drugs-are-sold-online-in-an-unbridled-market.html

http://www.nytimes.com/times-insider/2015/06/23/synthetic-drug-manufacturing-is-an-open-secret-in-china/

54ny77
06-25-2015, 03:31 PM
Why risk getting powdered chinese bat poop placebo when you can stroll down to the local anti aging clinic, and for $1500 or so a month get the stuff that will make you instantly attractive to the ladies and the cat 2 masters crowd?

shovelhd
06-25-2015, 03:52 PM
The anti aging clinic can get you test and HGH, but I would be surprised if they could get you EPO.

redir
06-25-2015, 03:55 PM
Sad thing is these guys would still be top notch without the dope. It's sad and pathetic.

Dr Luxurious
06-25-2015, 04:26 PM
stroll down to the local anti aging clinic, and for $1500 or so a month get the stuff that will make you instantly attractive to the ladies and the cat 2 masters crowd?

minoxidil? :)