PDA

View Full Version : Refinishing a CF frame

Wayne77
06-22-2015, 02:06 PM
I'm thinking of buying a friend's used Ridley Noah (see pic below). the frame and ISP measurements will work for me. It's been raced pretty hard over the last 4 years but no damage to the frame. At $300 I figure it's a pretty cheap way to get a backup bike to use and abuse at the races. I'm racing a steel Zanconato and I have no illusions the Noah would be as magical as my Zank but I could really use a light/stiff backup, especially for climbing races or crits. 2 questions:

1) assuming no cracks or structural damage, is their a "fatigue life" with CF? I assume there is with everything eventually, but wondering about anything notable after 4 years.

2) I'd like to re-finish the frame - maybe a basic matte black w/ some ghost Ridley decals. I understand you can't really strip paint down to bare carbon, but it sounds like I can sand it smooth for a solid coat. People tell me it's very time consuming but it can be done. Anything to be aware of, or other gotchas with regards to sanding it (other than not sanding too much) and/or painting? I figure I'll borrow a friend's paint gun and just spray it matte black for a stealth look. Maybe even just use a rattle can...I don't need a professional finish. I figure a matte finish can't be too hard. I assume nothing special in terms of paint required?

https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtf1/v/t1.0-9/11201924_850701328344636_3008014245762078353_n.jpg ?oh=ccb5d9cf7c0c92320dab54010c631e2d&oe=562CAD22

RyanH
06-22-2015, 05:01 PM
To sort of answer #1, there's a thread a few pages back of people showcasing their old carbon bikes, some of them were over 30 years old.

ultraman6970
06-22-2015, 05:06 PM
You can sand it down basically to the bare carbon, there is a paint remover for carbon in the market too, look at the thread about it...

Put a good primer and paint the black color you want and then clear it with clear mixed with flat agent, that will give you the matte finish you want.

Good luck.

ps: polyurethane paint ok? not crap from rustoleum.
ps2: primer I would advice you to use primer for car plastic parts, primer for metal tend to act weird over carbon sometimes. Just to play safe.

Wayne77
06-22-2015, 09:26 PM
You can sand it down basically to the bare carbon, there is a paint remover for carbon in the market too, look at the thread about it...

Put a good primer and paint the black color you want and then clear it with clear mixed with flat agent, that will give you the matte finish you want.

Good luck.

ps: polyurethane paint ok? not crap from rustoleum.
ps2: primer I would advice you to use primer for car plastic parts, primer for metal tend to act weird over carbon sometimes. Just to play safe.

Thanks - this is very helpful!

jchasse
06-23-2015, 02:00 PM
I've used a product called "Carbo-Lift" before, and it was pretty effective.